Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Heat pump tumble dryer?

It's this one:

I went off their 4.75 KWh figure per full load.

We have been drying a fair amount of clothes outside on the line this summer. I suggested to my Wife that we might get an airer and place it in the downstairs toilet with the extractor fan running in the winter months. She wasn't keen and was worried about getting mould in the house, but then she didn't know at that point how much it is going to cost! I will present the figures to her and see what she says.

Soldato
You don’t even need an extractor, just open the window.

You can also dry outside in the winter, particularly if there is a decent breeze.

Our drier is probably only on once a week in the winter, it’s not been touched since the spring.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I just renewed on a fixed rate for 12 months on Octopus GO. Our cost of electricity is going from 16p per KWh to 40p per KWh.

I just did the sums and two 15 minute showers a day and 2 loads of washing in the tumble drier a day will cost £165 a month. That is not including any other use of electric! We are screwed. There are going to be loads more smelly people going about soon.

The tumble drier alone is going to cost us £114 a month! I think it might be cheaper to just go to Primark and buy new clothes each day and throw the dirty ones in the bin!
Run the washing machine etc. during the much lower off peak rate. Also check if the timer on your washing machine is the start or end of the run so you can time it right.

Soldato
The tumble drier alone is going to cost us £114 a month! I think it might be cheaper to just go to Primark and buy new clothes each day and throw the dirty ones in the bin!

Even cheaper to put the clothes outside to dry and let the sun do it's job - Especially from April to September.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's the windows. They're old, they don't fit properly and the wind just comes through.

We tried to get cavity wall insulation done a few years back when there were grants, it was all booked, the company came out and told us it couldn't be done. I don't remember the reason why.

I can't afford the £15k to have it done.

When I saw one of the neighbours a few years ago get their house all done with triple glazing, I couldn't get over the size of the windows and doors. I did find it weird as nobody else in the area has triple glazing. I cannot imagine how much it must have cost as they got it done in one go. Including the doors. The thickness of the door is insane. An inch from your elbow putting a letter through the door.

I always assumed triple glazing was for near airports? It must be complete shut off from any outside noises. As there are hardly any noises as it is near them. Some cars from time to time and that is it. Though I wonder what it's like for holding the heat?

Soldato
Just applied for GO with Octopus and the account now shows as needing to get the meter switched. No mention of cost yet but says they'll look to arrange the meter change within 14 days.

Man of Honour
When I saw one of the neighbours a few years ago get their house all done with triple glazing, I couldn't get over the size of the windows and doors. I did find it weird as nobody else in the area has triple glazing. I cannot imagine how much it must have cost as they got it done in one go. Including the doors. The thickness of the door is insane. An inch from your elbow putting a letter through the door.

I always assumed triple glazing was for near airports? It must be complete shut off from any outside noises. As there are hardly any noises as it is near them. Some cars from time to time and that is it. Though I wonder what it's like for holding the heat?
I've got triple glazed windows but not doors. Living in a small property means I don't have many windows, so it wasn't that costly to swap out the old double glazing for triple. I think at the time it was about 10% more to get triple over double, so not that much more really. The main reason for getting it was to take the edge off the traffic noise at the front although it didn't make that much of a difference to be honest. I think you can now get double/triple with a different glass or something inside which is specifically designed to reduce noise.

Soldato
Convenience basically. Out of the washing machine straight into the tumble drier. That was all well and good at 16p a KWh but not at 40p.
I'm sorry what? You use the tumble dryer, even in this weather?

Honestly, hopefully the energy crisis if anything good comes of it, it alters peoples perception to their energy usage and the knock on affect on our climate.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've got triple glazed windows but not doors. Living in a small property means I don't have many windows, so it wasn't that costly to swap out the old double glazing for triple. I think at the time it was about 10% more to get triple over double, so not that much more really. The main reason for getting it was to take the edge off the traffic noise at the front although it didn't make that much of a difference to be honest. I think you can now get double/triple with a different glass or something inside which is specifically designed to reduce noise.

They have 5 or 6 windows and a big corner window which looks to be 4 panes at the top. With narrow windows each side of the door.

V F

V F

Soldato

Honestly, hopefully the energy crisis if anything good comes of it, it alters peoples perception to their energy usage and the knock on affect on our climate.

I do as well. Haven't had a washing line since the late 90s and where the peg is I wouldn't even get a new one. Because one of the neighbours not maintaining their roof for many many years now, starlings has setup camp crapping everywhere. I'm always having to hose the place down after a week it's that bad.

Soldato

we use our (heatpump) drier all year round for towels and bedding... i wish we didnt have to but both me and esp our little one suffers from awful allergies.

normal clothes we use a normal clothes maiden for in this weather and dry inside. i do miss line dried clothes but the difference between in and out dryed beddings and towels is obvious when it comes to allergies. i can dose up with medication which helps, but my lad not so much.

in winter we have a 300w heated clothes maiden which i think anyone with space should consider. costs loads less than a tumble drier, its silent, and also that 300w can give out some warmth as well into the room it is in (but its not big enough for towels and bedding).

not to mention the amount of bird crap we get on drying clothes thanks to our neighbours feeding them (at least the 3 dovecotes have gone now!!!)

i did feel incredibly guilty, but less so now i have solar. not everyone can afford it or even have the right set up for it, but those who can, and do then it is worth considering.

Soldato
Never heard it called that before! Always been a clothes horse to me :)
must be a local dialect thing..... total segue however, i have no idea where the name comes from but maiden is also a term in horse racing as well...... maybe they both stem from the same source..... whilst i know of the term clothes horse i have always called it a maiden. I certainly have never had "relations" with it so i suppose it is a maiden in that sense too ;)

Soldato
If your clothes are taking ages to dry on a horse, it’s probably because you have too many in too small an area.

You want to spread them out to ensure air can circulate between the layers of fabric. That one linked above isn’t great for that reason.

You want something like this so you can hang each garment over 2 rails so the air can get in between the layers of fabric.

Back
Top Bottom