Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
We tried to get cavity wall insulation done a few years back when there were grants, it was all booked, the company came out and told us it couldn't be done. I don't remember the reason why.

There are legitimate reasons why some houses can't have it, if your house is timber framed (not that uncommon) or steel/concrete (more uncommon) it can stop the air getting to those structure points which can rot/corrode and cause you some serious structural issues.

You also can get issues with damp.

Soldato
Soldato
we use our (heatpump) drier all year round for towels and bedding... i wish we didnt have to but both me and esp our little one suffers from awful allergies.

normal clothes we use a normal clothes maiden for in this weather and dry inside. i do miss line dried clothes but the difference between in and out dryed beddings and towels is obvious when it comes to allergies. i can dose up with medication which helps, but my lad not so much.

in winter we have a 300w heated clothes maiden which i think anyone with space should consider. costs loads less than a tumble drier, its silent, and also that 300w can give out some warmth as well into the room it is in (but its not big enough for towels and bedding).

not to mention the amount of bird crap we get on drying clothes thanks to our neighbours feeding them (at least the 3 dovecotes have gone now!!!)

i did feel incredibly guilty, but less so now i have solar. not everyone can afford it or even have the right set up for it, but those who can, and do then it is worth considering.
That's a very unique situation though, and much different to the poster I quoted who was just too lazy.

I also tend to use the tumble drier for towels - However it also is a heat pump unit, and all towels go in together (as many as within the weight limit).

I do admit I'm very lucky in that I live alone and therefore can definitely get clothes dry easier and it's only two loads a week.

Caporegime
When I saw one of the neighbours a few years ago get their house all done with triple glazing, I couldn't get over the size of the windows and doors. I did find it weird as nobody else in the area has triple glazing. I cannot imagine how much it must have cost as they got it done in one go. Including the doors. The thickness of the door is insane. An inch from your elbow putting a letter through the door.

I always assumed triple glazing was for near airports? It must be complete shut off from any outside noises. As there are hardly any noises as it is near them. Some cars from time to time and that is it. Though I wonder what it's like for holding the heat?
a few years ago we got all our windows done. Triple glazing was cheaper than double for most quotes because triple is now the standard, and double is a specialty product for backwards compatibility.

As with all types of insulation, they stop the hot air outside getting in during the summer, and the cold air in winter.

Associate
Is the UK still planning to build some new nuclear power stations?
Yes several, one currently underway paid for by the French and Chinese governments who will make nice profits from us for doing so. Rest also foreign investment projects - it's about time we built our own when it could affect the national security of the country for vital services.

Soldato
Why is it that we don't just make our own? Do we not have the ability to do so? Or more likely is it just cheaper in the long term but we'll bleed in the long term?

V F

V F

Soldato
a few years ago we got all our windows done. Triple glazing was cheaper than double for most quotes because triple is now the standard, and double is a specialty product for backwards compatibility.

As with all types of insulation, they stop the hot air outside getting in during the summer, and the cold air in winter.

Oh, never knew. I remember it being so costly over double. That would have been perfect for this house, as it holds onto the heat as well as holding onto the cold. Even with it insulated. It's a timber frame house with a stone front but the sun scorches the back all day is when it roasts the house. It takes about 5 - 6 hours to let go of the heat.

Soldato
I'm sorry what? You use the tumble dryer, even in this weather?

Honestly, hopefully the energy crisis if anything good comes of it, it alters peoples perception to their energy usage and the knock on affect on our climate.

If it stops people draping christmas lights over their house and gardens and leaving them on all night I'd happily see energy prices top £1pkWh :D

Associate
Not at the moment. I have used those plastic clingfilm type sheets in the past, I suspect I'm going to have to do the same again this year.
Sorry Feek, only caught up on the previous few pages so may have missed, but is it possible to hang say a thick sheet, curtain, throw etc.. over the window opening fixed to the inside walls? Yes it'll look derriere-ugly but I'd imagine slow down some of the heat loss? Something similar for the doors would help

Is the UK still planning to build some new nuclear power stations?
Yes, Sizewell C down the coast from here, has had the govt. go-ahead, however the locals & wildlife trust are beginning legal challenges. so more delays.
Personally I do have a couple of issues with nuclear, although support the idea in principle, the type proposed are expensive to build & run, iirc this type has been superseded by smaller modular designs, secondly this only helps a decade-ish down the line and isn't the silver bullet the country expect it to be. We ought to be encouraging loans for domestic solar installations and insulation improvements as well.

Associate
How come you still have single glazing, is it an old protected building or just the cost of having it done?

I'd look at finding a way to improve that as you are throwing money away on heating if its just going through the windows, that cling film stuff you used before can help if installed carefully. Alternatively you can get acrylic sheet cut to act as second pane, place like the clingfilm with an air gap and use a seal to keep it air tight.

Its a nuisance as you can't open the window but it does keep the heat in and stops condensation.

Worth adding to keep an eye out for the water vapour that was condensing on the single glazing relocating and condensing on another cold spot/wall some where else.
The single glaze windows were effectively a dehumidifier.

Older draughty homes might not be air tight enough for it be an issue as there is enough exchange of air.
But say you improve on the draughtproofing, use a specific room to dry your clothes indoors in winter, or were used to not opening window/turning on the extractor after a shower (as it was unneeded as the exchange of air throughout the home could handle it), after the double glazing you might find you get condensation issues in other places.

Soldato
Building nuclear - that would be a sensible. Oh no, there's a protest group against that. https://stopsizewellc.org/
Maybe we should be making the most of the oil and gas we've got domsetically. Oh, no there's a protest group against that too. https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/all-those-times-the-anti-fracking-campaign-rocked/
Perhaps we should be building more renewable energy instead. Oh no, there's another group of fools protesting about those. https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.u...p-up-the-fight-against-new-wind-farms-186684/

I don't know where these bunch think their energy / oil / gas is supposed to come from. Can't see beyond their own back yard.

Soldato
Why is it that we don't just make our own? Do we not have the ability to do so? Or more likely is it just cheaper in the long term but we'll bleed in the long term?
Because 'make our own' = public spending = communism.

The free market is the answer. Why own and operate our own essential utilities, when we can outsource it to foreign private and state-owned companies and let them skim off the profits?

Back
Top Bottom