Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I'd need to look into it in more detail, but I'd expect that some kind of transfer price regulation for non UK parent companies and progressive taxation for businesses would have dealt with a lot of this issue. Windfall tax proposals means the current tax rules are not fit for purpose.

V F

V F

Soldato
Building nuclear - that would be a sensible. Oh no, there's a protest group against that. https://stopsizewellc.org/
Maybe we should be making the most of the oil and gas we've got domsetically. Oh, no there's a protest group against that too. https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/all-those-times-the-anti-fracking-campaign-rocked/
Perhaps we should be building more renewable energy instead. Oh no, there's another group of fools protesting about those. https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.u...p-up-the-fight-against-new-wind-farms-186684/

I don't know where these bunch think their energy / oil / gas is supposed to come from. Can't see beyond their own back yard.

Funny isn't it. They never come up with solutions like this crisis but have to stop everyone else. What are we just supposed to be cold in the dark with no power while ticking a box?

Soldato
Build lots of nuclear it creates cheap electric, build enough too get to the stage where its so cheap they have so much they just give it away

Then set up a tiered pay system fixed cost per month

Low user.
Medium user.
Heavy user.
Very heavy user.
Miner

Soldato
Why is it that we don't just make our own? Do we not have the ability to do so? Or more likely is it just cheaper in the long term but we'll bleed in the long term?
As a country it seems we just want to do everything as cheap as possible in terms of capital expenditure, we run like a PLC.

Soldato
Silly question. But I Russia is turning down the gas, that means they are not getting as much money etc right?
negated to a degree that the unit cost has gone up x5. 20% supplied at 5 times the cost still brings the same cash in, for the present at least.

Associate
Its practically impossible to go solar only off grid in the UK.
To go offgrid you need most of four things, possibly all combined

1) A really massive array, as you say winter generation can be down to a very low % of theoretical array size
2) Off grid power generation, so a petrol/diesel generator is most usable, which is what most offgriders have
3) A will to be very low usage potentially for some time, ie just enough to survive, no loads of washing and tumbling if generation is a trickle
4) An alternate source of warmth, log burner, coal fire etc

Modern batteries are now typically 5000+ cycles over 10 years warranty (or more cycles (more is pretty much irrelevant))
Eg https://batteryfactory.co.uk/products/givenergy-9-5kwh-li-ion-battery
They use LiPo4 now

If you can get on a cheap off peak tariff (Octopus by far the best in market right now) then you can charge for less than 10p per unit over night.
If your battery gives you somewhere like 70% plus of your daily usage even in winter you will have days with grid independence, but not many.
Spring / Autumn you will likely be basically neutral, with summer generating real excess. (Assuming a suitable array for your consumption)
To me my electric usage (not including the car) is about 12-13 kwh per day. The tesla powerwall is the only one that comes close (last time I checked anyway), and I had a quote for about 10k (just the battery and installation, no panels) which is quite a cost.
Well I think I would be going for as much as possible but appreciate we don't have the sun power here to go completely offline to just supporting our homes, shame but it is what it is :)
I was just going by what Google had reported but that sounds a little better so would appeal to more people and because it means last twice the time, hopefully, people would see some use out of it.

@theone8181 brings up an interesting point I think, what is peoples rough usage a day for their electric? Would solar panels cover the majority of electric for the majority of people?? What do you call higher than average usage?

Associate
So we're paying £4k a year and more for energy, you say?

Looks like these kits are going to pay for themselves pretty quick:

Last edited:
Soldato
Uproar on Money Saving Expert atm. Martin Lewis advised people to fix now due to the recent and October price cap, so many have fixed on much higher rates as they believe in the long run they will be saving money come the October hike. As the Government are looking at options for October, people who fixed are ******.

Do we think a freeze on energy prices is coming?

Soldato
Uproar on Money Saving Expert atm. Martin Lewis advised people to fix now due to the recent and October price cap, so many have fixed on much higher rates as they believe in the long run they will be saving money come the October hike. As the Government are looking at options for October, people who fixed are ******.

Yeah, if i was fixing it at my current DD or 10% higher i'd go for it. But all the fixed tariffs are at least double what my current DD is, and I have a feeling that it would be a bad economy to do so. I think I'd end up losing quite badly in the long run

Soldato
So we're paying £4k a year and more for energy, you say?

Looks like these kits are going to pay for themselves pretty quick:
5.5k including a battery seems pretty good. I wonder if people will start mounting them in gardens as it could double as shade.

Soldato

If i remember correctly he advised to fix only if it was a certain % above SVR payments which has changed over time. He also constantly said its his best guess and was subject to change in his defence.

Back
Top Bottom