Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Yeah a single income family living in a commuter town to London on £80k wouldn't go far. Just increases in energy bills and mortgage rates / payments on an average family home could see that family having to shell out a further 25% of their take home pay. That could easily be the majority of their disposable income.

I already said I'm single.

I don't really care, I've got kids, had the sex tens of thousands of times.

I don't go anywhere to meet a partner, I don't really want one either

I think 2019 around December was the last time I had sex, unless your 15 it's not really a big deal

BTW being single saves you a hell of a lot of money
Dam right

Soldato
Spending £200 a week on food for a family of four might have to be reevaluated, We spend £100 for a family of three. The good times are over for now. Less Waitrose, more Aldi...

Soldato
It's quite important unless you're asexual:

800px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png
Rainbow diagram how quaint

Soldato
Since having a child Sex is way down my list of priorities..... maybe because i am an older dad, but i am too knackered for anything other than sleep when i go to bed. The wife is doing well if she is awake still come 9 o clock.

Soldato
If you have an average home 80 k is a lot.

If. You have a far above average home it's hard to have much sympathy for someone earning 80k.

That house is also building massive equity
If your mortgage is 1900 that's an expensive house!
An example of the above average home mansion (flat) that a £360k mortgage with a 10% deposit and £1900 a month mortgage payments gets you in a commuter town to London right now.

Soldato
Does she shower in 55 degree water? She must be very red!!! The shower will have a thermostatic mixing valve that brins the temperature down to a usable level. My wife is the same, but isn't red due to scalding hot water. I suggest you gradually turn it down without telling her. She won't know. 44C is considered the limit for humans before they're scalded!

You might be able to run your boiler at an even lower temperature as the heating season begins. I try and run mine at 50C to begin with, and as it gets colder outside I gradually increase it up to about 70C max. But getting a low return temperature is critical - it means you have actually deposited the heat into the building and aren't just sending hot water back to the boiler.
Youneed to watch out for legionella disease

Don
When the average house price is £280k or so then £80k salary is huge.
London is it's own bubble and arguably £80k is average wage for that area?

Scary isn’t it. Me and my misses don’t earn 80k between us neither do we live in a 280k house or have cars on finance ect.
It's not just London, its any commuter town within 50-60 miles of the M25.

A typical 4-bed in my area is at least £500k for a poor example, closer to £600k for something that doesn't need extensive work.

Soldato
Since having a child Sex is way down my list of priorities..... maybe because i am an older dad, but i am too knackered for anything other than sleep when i go to bed. The wife is doing well if she is awake still come 9 o clock.

Exactly, and having a rip on a 40 year old mother of 2 isn't quite the same as a pretty fresh 20 year old.

Associate
He has a combo boiler. Instantaneous generation so no stored hot water. Fair comment if you have a store though for the hot water at least. Heating circuit doesn’t matter
Most combo boilers still have a small internal store of hot water, often referred to as a Heatstore or "Heatslave" tank, so it could still be a likely risk.

Permabanned
An example of the above average home mansion (flat) that a £360k mortgage with a 10% deposit and £1900 a month mortgage payments gets you in a commuter town to London right now.
This what you could get for that kind of money over near my neck of the woods.

Don
Permabanned
Associate
Only got a small pressure vessel for keeping the heating loop pressurised. Doesn't mix with the tap water as far as I know?
Nope, those red tanks are just the "bladder" for giving the heating loop room to expand etc.. which are common in all

Certainly the Worcester Heatslave have a small internal tank on the hot water side, mine rotted out due to a leaking flow valve situated above it and had to replace the whole boiler :(

I believe it may be done for a couple of reasons.. it speeds up hot water delivery as the burner unit and heat exchanger come up to temp and I guess maybe can also recover some of the "cooldown heat" after the burner shuts off (maybe?) :confused:

Caporegime
Average means different things in different areas. Just a guess but an 'average house' where I live probably costs double an average house where you live.

Likely! I live in a very average area.
But still. If you own a house worth that much you will reap the benefits at some point. Or at least you 'could'.

If you own a 400k house it might be average for your area. But you can move to almost anywhere else.
If you own a 200k house average for your area you would struggle.

So you still get the benefits of that big salary. Or you could.

The person in the 200k house does not have that option.

So I still think 80k is a damn good salary.

Back
Top Bottom