Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Ah apologise that my bad on the Child care, meant as in CSA Child Maintenance. Me and Ex split up end last year and now I have to pay the £1k to her for next 16yrs (or more if wage increases) hence why it is % of salary.

The work from home is possible sometimes but I train staff etc and that so much easier in person so at moment I am getting 2 days a month at home only but yeah that saves £40 on what fuel would be otherwise. It the other reason my mileage higher still as I need to travel to see my children once in week and every weekend and then because I don't see them much take them out and travel more (which ex and CSA don't care about so that I have to find out my pocket, either by cutting my food expenses or asking work if I can do another day or two at home to reduce the fuel as a one off).

It a mess and really hard to balance so this all now is the tipping point in that I haven't gamed in 2 months now cause of this and the cost associated with doing so. I don't qualify for support because they don't take fuel expense or car expense as essential or into account. Yet on top of what I give my ex, her house paid for, she on working benefit, just signed up with PIP and getting all the extra grants meaning she has about £1k a month disposable without working at all!

I am genuinely at point wondering if I should sell up if my parents would let me move back in at 33 because it closer to work and can save for a few more years to try and get back on the property ladder and I haven't lived at home since I moved out at 15 and got my first mortgage/property at 19.

That's ****, I'm so sorry :( Yeah, I can see how that's just an impossible situation to be in.

I'm guessing that's for 3 kids - have you taken your pension contributions off your salary before calculating the CSA?

Any possibility to get a lodger in? Obviously depends if you're in a house with spare bedroom.
Or possibly move back in with your parents but keep the house and rent it out so at least you're still building the equity and have something as a deposit when you're in a better place?

No because I would be homeless (unless I gave up work, sold house and parents are willing to take me in). I wouldn't easily get housing as a single male capable of working and likely end up in a shelter as there is very little to no support to do such.

I guess I kind of meant if you could sell up and live at home.

I'd never want to or even think it. But more from a technical aspect.

Because if that was the case the whole system is completely broken

If you don't mind me asking, how many children is that for? I assume the 18% of gross is because of multiple children? Is it X% for the first etc...

My partners son has split from his partner, 2 kids, and I think they'd rather sort it out amicably rather than through the CSA.

Two children and I wanted to do such but she decided I wasn't willing to pay enough and so went to CSA which means I am set by their guidelines. It is 12% for one + 6% for additional basically. But I have not worked out why they don't take your Net payment. You wouldn't use Gross to do anything else payment wise when you work out what you could afford as a family say for holiday, food and clothes. That is what CSA is meant to be for but yeah as say they take Net. The difference is about £280 a month less if it was done on Net and would still be giving my two children (to her) £700 a month then.

what about that £650? does that go to energy companies too?
Goes to the person claiming i believe

edit:

Only goes to people on the following benefits and is in 2 installments £326 in July and £324 in "Autumn"
  • Universal Credit,
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance,
  • Income Support
  • working tax credit
  • child tax credit
  • pension credit

Two children and I wanted to do such but she decided I wasn't willing to pay enough and so went to CSA which means I am set by their guidelines. It is 12% for one + 6% for additional basically. But I have not worked out why they don't take your Net payment. You wouldn't use Gross to do anything else payment wise when you work out what you could afford as a family say for holiday, food and clothes. That is what CSA is meant to be for but yeah as say they take Net. The difference is about £280 a month less if it was done on Net and would still be giving my two children (to her) £700 a month then.

50k on that calculator thing on gov.uk is under 700??

I guess I kind of meant if you could sell up and live at home.

I'd never want to or even think it. But more from a technical aspect.

Because if that was the case the whole system is completely broken

Yes technically I would be hugely better off being able to do that but yeah lots risk, probably never get out parents house again etc as wouldn't be working, well at least for 18yr till boys are older.

claiming what and when?

So blunt and aggressive! :D

Only goes to people on the following benefits and is in 2 installments £326 in July and £324 in "Autumn"
  • Universal Credit,
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance,
  • Income Support
  • working tax credit
  • child tax credit
  • pension credit

For 2 kids that seems way too much, putting the figures in here: https://child-maintenance.dwp.gov.u...aying-or-receiving-child-maintenance-payments

With an income of £48,500 (£50k-3% pension) and them never staying with you overnight: "Your child maintenance calculation is £143.60 a week or £621.84 a month"

i know it is OT for this thread but that sucks..... There are a lot of dads out there who do everything they can to not pay their way, and they are out of order... but it seems you are trying to do everything responsibly and still be a good dad but you are being taken to the cleaners.
Sorry no help at all

When i went through my divorce i could not afford to keep my house on my own so i rented a room out. you were at the time allowed to earn £4000 per year excluding bills without paying tax on it so that was pure profit.

it was the difference between a fairly nice but simple life style and having to sell my home. I ended up pretty good mates with the tennent whilst he lived there too and he stopped me becoming a recluse so wins all round really.

Yes technically I would be hugely better off being able to do that but yeah lots risk, probably never get out parents house again etc as wouldn't be working, well at least for 18yr till boys are older.

Bit disgusting really. If you are a dead beat coaster with no ambition you can be better off. Even at that salary

I don't know, I pay variable/whole amount DD so I don't normally build a credit, the credit will be used before I am charged anything.
@n111ck The suppliers are being told not to refund these payments to customers banks under any circumstance. Its for energy not booze and fags.

I mean technically it wont even show on your account, its just when the bill is produced for lets say £523 for the month, when it gets generated it will be adjusted to remove £67 so you shouldnt ever see a credit on the account to be honest

50k on that calculator thing on gov.uk is under 700??
That calculator thing is about 15% off because when I done it initially it worked out at around £675. When they do a detailed calc and because she on benefits it works out at £776 however because she went to CSA 4 months after we split and initially agreed £500 a month they are now taking back payment for the shortfall thus increasing my amount further. I also don't qualify for a reduction for mileage travelled cause I am 2 miles short on a round trip to visit my children each week and yet I have them both all day Saturday and Sunday but because they still sleep at her house I also don't get a reduction there either. It a bad system.

BG sent me this

The Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS)​

The EBSS is part of the government’s wider support to help households with the cost of living. It’s open to all domestic households who use electricity.​

How much will I get?​

Every household will get £400, paid over six months starting from October 2022. So you’ll get the following each month:​

Month
Amount
October 2022
£66​
November 2022
£66​
December 2022
£67​
January 2023
£67​
February 2023
£67​
March 2023
£67​

If your electricity bills are less than £66/£67 a month, you’ll still get the same amount. You can carry on using the discount to pay for your electricity after March 2023 (until all the £400 is used up).

How do I receive the discount?​

For Direct Debit customers, we’ll send the discount straight to your bank each month – like a refund – once your Direct Debit has gone through.

For example:
If your Direct Debit is £100 a month, you’d pay that as normal. Then a few days later, £67 will be paid in to your bank account. If your Direct Debit is less than £67 a month, say £50 for example, £50 will be refunded to your bank account and the remaining £17 will be applied as credit to your energy account.

That's ****, I'm so sorry :( Yeah, I can see how that's just an impossible situation to be in.

I'm guessing that's for 3 kids - have you taken your pension contributions off your salary before calculating the CSA?

Any possibility to get a lodger in? Obviously depends if you're in a house with spare bedroom.
Or possibly move back in with your parents but keep the house and rent it out so at least you're still building the equity and have something as a deposit when you're in a better place?

Can't rent out property as was help to buy and so that isn't possible and I could rent out room (did for a while) but I am trying to get to point of having my children over night and so I can't really rent the second room if I want that to happen which course catch 22.

i know it is OT for this thread but that sucks..... There are a lot of dads out there who do everything they can to not pay their way, and they are out of order... but it seems you are trying to do everything responsibly and still be a good dad but you are being taken to the cleaners.
Sorry no help at all :(

It is appreciated. it really hard and this honestly why I know of so many friends whom dad stopped working when they had parents that split because of the payment and that would have been late 80's / early 90's doing that let alone now.

That calculator thing is about 15% off because when I done it initially it worked out at around £675. When they do a detailed calc and because she on benefits it works out at £776 however because she went to CSA 4 months after we split and initially agreed £500 a month they are now taking back payment for the shortfall thus increasing my amount further. I also don't qualify for a reduction for mileage travelled cause I am 2 miles short on a round trip to visit my children each week and yet I have them both all day Saturday and Sunday but because they still sleep at her house I also don't get a reduction there either. It a bad system.

So sorry to hear this. Makes it more real when you hear a real story.
Hope things get better soon!
Does seem like you've done pretty much everything you can at this point. :(

Back
Top Bottom