Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
reported to BLM

GU10 embedded lights - form over efficiency
Embedded gu10 celing bulbs in kitchen or bathroom are not very efficient to direct the light into the room -
had some gu10's that blew, waiting for replacements - experimented with a globe type b22 inserted into socket via an adapter,
found I could replace 6 gu10s with 2 globes in kitchen , and reduced bathroom from 3 to 2.
GU10 bulb specification should publish the number of useful lumens that illuminate the room.

Associate
Well I'm going back to the good old days of having no heating and just a portable gas heater.

Decided we will not have the heating on, its all electric house and we use very little electric (£69 a month last year and ended up in credit) so we are just not prepared to pay the estimated £250 a month just to break even, just plain right robbery to me so I've bought a portable gas heater that we will use in the bathroom when in use and maybe the living room

Think this should lower the winter bills a lot compared to last year so hopefully we can get by on what we are paying now, but probably will be tough.
Gas bottle should last a while as it won't need to be on for long.

Survived back them so maybe we will now, lol, what a country we currently live in.

Don
Was discussing this with my dad today, and we pretty much came to the conclusion that replacing mains gas with LPG was likely to be cost effective, especially if an existing gas boiler can cope with LPG.

Soldato
A higher tax burden increases investment as its tax deductible. Profits tend to leave the country and end up in tax havens.

The trickle down economics theory is just a lie the rich tell the poor to justify their ridiculous wealth.
Sounds like a lose lose situation. Even small things like paying more into a pension to reduce tax burdens reduces tax intake. No one wants to pay more tax if they don’t have to.

Caporegime
Air fryer vs cooker, how much more efficient are they?

If you used one instead of an oven every day for a year then you'd maybe save about as much as it cost you to buy the air fryer in the first place it seems:

I guess slow cookers are a bit cheaper, can get one of them for 20 quid and they're supposed to be as efficient as microwaves.

I mean do you use an oven every day? I often use my hobs, rice cooker, grill etc..

Associate
Sounds like a lose lose situation. Even small things like paying more into a pension to reduce tax burdens reduces tax intake. No one wants to pay more tax if they don’t have to.
That is assuming they are PAYE in the first place as well. You have those at the high end of things who would sooner spend a fortune avoiding tax (legal workarounds) than be resigned to paying it
Like look at how much wealth is held in havens, not merely billions but trillions

Soldato
Was discussing this with my dad today, and we pretty much came to the conclusion that replacing mains gas with LPG was likely to be cost effective, especially if an existing gas boiler can cope with LPG.

That's crazy really.

We don't have piped gas but I do have a gas BBQ and a gas burner (seperate things). Maybe I should start using those almost for 'normal' cooking than using the electric hob.

We have oil fired central heating which may end up being a win with oil prices dripping (a bit) plus because you can buy and store it, so if you keep an eye on the price you can to some extent control the price.

Associate
Keep seeing news stories of pubs closing.
Surely the majority will close over the winter?

Won't be just pubs tho will it?
a lot of different types of business will just simply just call it a day when some businesses are going from 2k a month energy to 12k a month they simply won't be able to carry on

If the government don't do anything now they are going have a massive problem with unemployment

I work in construction I know full well I'm going be unemployed some point next year

Soldato
With caps from April 21 until April 23 expecting to go from £1274 to £6089 how is the average home going to manage exactly?

That’s a little over £100 a month to a little over £500.

If the household goes beyond the typical use of a typical 3 bed semi that this cap data seemingly represents, where by you have more occupants, more rooms, perhaps even a phev or a full on EV to take in to consideration, you won’t see much change then from a grand a month which is likely more than that households mortgage price!!

The way things are going will see a collapse of civilisation. It’s inevitable, they always are but I’d have hoped it would have gone on a little longer at least, until I’m dead, buried and couldn’t care less as a preference.

Soldato
Keep seeing news stories of pubs closing.
Surely the majority will close over the winter?

It's an absolute nightmare at the moment.

Covid saw loads of workers leave the industry. The remaining quality staff are now attracting a premium wage. On top of that, the cost of goods has risen substantially (wholesale food, beer, etc.), and we're being hit with a huge rise in the cost of energy.

We've just done our second draught beer price rise this year. Normally, it goes up in April by 20-30p per pint. We've already done that. And we've just had to do a second rise of 50p per pint. A typical main meal has also risen from £13/£14 to £16-£18. Many customers think we're ripping them off, but the reality is that this is all down to rising costs (staffing, products, energy).

We're also considering clipping our opening times this Winter. Given rising costs, we would be looking at substantial losses with normal Winter trade, let alone reduced trade driven by the cost of living crisis. So we will be shutting earlier in the evening, no longer staying open for late drinks trade. And we will either be opening much later Mon-Thurs (e.g. 4pm or 5pm instead of 12) or closing entirely on some or all of these days.

The knock-on reality is that job losses are looming. There is no way we can maintain our current staffing levels this Winter. I can see the business cutting staff to bare bones levels, and then building a new team in the Spring (most of whom will be dumped again in the Autumn if we're facing a second Winter of this).

Caporegime
Won't be just pubs tho will it?
a lot of different types of business will just simply just call it a day when some businesses are going from 2k a month energy to 12k a month they simply won't be able to carry on

If the government don't do anything now they are going have a massive problem with unemployment

I work in construction I know full well I'm going be unemployed some point next year
Definitely.

Anything that uses a lot of energy.

Pubs are a good example as everyone can understand why it's expensive . But anything with high usage and low margins is going to be destroyed

Caporegime
It's an absolute nightmare at the moment.

Covid saw loads of workers leave the industry. The remaining quality staff are now attracting a premium wage. On top of that, the cost of goods has risen substantially (wholesale food, beer, etc.), and we're being hit with a huge rise in the cost of energy.

We've just done our second draught beer price rise this year. Normally, it goes up in April by 20-30p per pint. We've already done that. And we've just had to do a second rise of 50p per pint. A typical main meal has also risen from £13/£14 to £16-£18. Many customers think we're ripping them off, but the reality is that this is all down to rising costs (staffing, products, energy).

We're also considering clipping our opening times this Winter. Given rising costs, we would be looking at substantial losses with normal Winter trade, let alone reduced trade driven by the cost of living crisis. So we will be shutting earlier in the evening, no longer staying open for late drinks trade. And we will either be opening much later Mon-Thurs (e.g. 4pm or 5pm instead of 12) or closing entirely on some or all of these days.

The knock-on reality is that job losses are looming. There is no way we can maintain our current staffing levels this Winter. I can see the business cutting staff to bare bones levels, and then building a new team in the Spring (most of whom will be dumped again in the Autumn if we're facing a second Winter of this).

Yeah I don't see how pubs will be viable this winter.

Lack of money in customers pockets. Insane bills, pub land lord rents up.
Even on the article I read there were comments of the pubs ripping them off.

Back
Top Bottom