Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I think this is probably going to be a textbook story especially when people get the first bills at the higher rates at the end of October

It would be interesting to have the stats on how many fixed term contracts end in the near future to know how many households are affected. That'll certainly affect the publics spending on unessentials. I know a few people that don't think it's worthy of consideration yet, if it's not in front of their nose...

Soldato
It would be interesting to have the stats on how many fixed term contracts end in the near future to know how many households are affected. That'll certainly affect the publics spending on unessentials. I know a few people that don't think it's worthy of consideration yet, if it's not in front of their nose...
That might be something i can dig up, well just for my employer, i'll put a few feelers out.

Soldato
If the government provided a subsidy on solar I'd jump on it.

25 percent discount? Yeah I'd stump up the rest of the cash. Would mitigate much of ROI risk for me

Not sure what my personal cut off cost would be. Right now. ROI is too long for me

You're already getting a discount as the vast had been cut to zero.

I had a 4.2 kWh install in Nov 2018, £6.5k with a solar edge inverter, panels only as batteries were small and expensive and the numbers didn't add up. I'd calculated ROI at 15 years worst case, after the first year recalculated at 14 years, years 2 and 3 recalculated at 13 years, end of this year 12 years, forecast for Nov next year and ROI will be down to 8 years.
We receive around £260-270 a year in FiT payments and we use around 38-41% of the energy generated as my wife is at home in the day and over the last four years we've got better at utilising the energy we generate.

Soldato
You really have a hard on for it don't you :D
I think it's a good protest yes. What other forms of protest can effectively generate millions of participants for minimal effort?

A good protest needs to not disrupt people's everyday lives too much (i.e gluing oneself to motorways), be easily joinable, and have an impact. This ticks those boxes.

Caporegime
You're already getting a discount as the vast had been cut to zero.

I had a 4.2 kWh install in Nov 2018, £6.5k with a solar edge inverter, panels only as batteries were small and expensive and the numbers didn't add up. I'd calculated ROI at 15 years worst case, after the first year recalculated at 14 years, years 2 and 3 recalculated at 13 years, end of this year 12 years, forecast for Nov next year and ROI will be down to 8 years.
We receive around £260-270 a year in FiT payments and we use around 38-41% of the energy generated as my wife is at home in the day and over the last four years we've got better at utilising the energy we generate.

Those figures seem typical.
We would actually heavily benefit from solar. And only need a little battery.

2 people working at home with steady all day draw. Can put dishwasher etc on at flexible times. We could even time tumble drys for brighter winter days. Although to be fair would probably still do that outdoors.

Its a shame there's no clear metrics as to if it adds or lowers value on house sale.
Before all this I think it lowered!

Soldato
I think it's a good protest yes. What other forms of protest can effectively generate millions of participants for minimal effort?

The only people even considering this should be those who have explored every other option available to them, and those who really can't pay, even after cutting usage back as much as possible.

It's reckless to recommend people risk their credit ratings in protest, especially when there is no guarantee that everyone else will follow suit who has promised to do so.

Soldato

A good protest needs to not disrupt people's everyday lives too much (i.e gluing oneself to motorways), be easily joinable, and have an impact. This ticks those boxes.
Its british slacktivism at its finest. If you want change get marching on the streets in London!

As ive said to you and other multiple times before. It wont effect the energy extractors like shell or BP, it will harm the retail energy suppliers, who arent really the bad guys in this situation, and if it harms the retail energy market too much they will go to the gov for a bailout, Bulb style and at the tax payers expense to bail them out. Remember how well thats gone with Bulb so far... £1.5bill to £2bill now to over £4bill and still no buyer and being horrible mismanaged.

Soldato
Its british slacktivism at its finest. If you want change get marching on the streets in London!

As ive said to you and other multiple times before. It wont effect the energy extractors like shell or BP, it will harm the retail energy suppliers, who arent really the bad guys in this situation, and if it harms the retail energy market too much they will go to the gov for a bailout, Bulb style and at the tax payers expense to bail them out. Remember how well thats gone with Bulb so far... £1.5bill to £2bill now to over £4bill and still no buyer and being horrible mismanaged.
I don't believe marching on the streets does much aside from disrupt people going about their daily business. This form of protest is much better, easier to implement and can attract more participants than a march ever could.

Soldato
I don't believe marching on the streets does much aside from disrupt people going about their daily business. This form of protest is much better, easier to implement and can attract more participants than a march ever could.
Nice work skipping over the main point i made :cry:

The problem with this "movement" is a lot of people that can pay bills but dont want to are using it as an excuse to not pay or a lot of people are jumping on this with no proper thought to the harm this will do to their finances. Also 100,000 "pledging" doesnt mean 100,000 will withhold payment. PLedging means nothing unless you actually do it and i think you'll find a lot more people pledged than will actually follow through which then means the whole thing was pointless and hurts the most vulnerable of all.

Feet marching in the street is much more effective but we wouldnt want to do that because it involves getting off social media and putting on a jacket and some shoes and going somewhere!

Soldato
Nice work skipping over the main point i made :cry:

The problem with this "movement" is a lot of people that can pay bills but dont want to are using it as an excuse to not pay or a lot of people are jumping on this with no proper thought to the harm this will do to their finances. Also 100,000 "pledging" doesnt mean 100,000 will withhold payment. PLedging means nothing unless you actually do it and i think you'll find a lot more people pledged than will actually follow through which then means the whole thing was pointless and hurts the most vulnerable of all.

Feet marching in the street is much more effective but we wouldnt want to do that because it involves getting off social media and putting on a jacket and some shoes and going somewhere!
About the retailers?

It does target them yes. It's the only choice as there is no way to directly target anyone else.

Soldato
Those figures seem typical.
We would actually heavily benefit from solar. And only need a little battery.

2 people working at home with steady all day draw. Can put dishwasher etc on at flexible times. We could even time tumble drys for brighter winter days. Although to be fair would probably still do that outdoors.

Its a shame there's no clear metrics as to if it adds or lowers value on house sale.
Before all this I think it lowered!

To be fair in your position I wouldn't be fitting a solar system for the same reasons I didn't at my old house.

Soldato
1ebY4XF.png

That is mine. My Summer and Winter month will be pretty much same and I have rounded figures up for a slight tolerance. Heating/Gas use was less in November to Feb because kept heating off but I didn't record for figures back then as wasn't relative to future costs.

It went up in April & May because doing more gas cooking which since have cut back down again in June, July (was away 10 days) & August. August is actually looking more like 225kWh for gas based on the unit figures on meter but just about right for the electric use.

So that is where I am comparing what my expected months prices will be come October and January updates. I have also assumed the daily charge will increase by the same % in this. Now comparing that to my fixed offer it would cost me an additional £250.46 so there is zero reason to fix. Come April though I would be underpaying by £32.97 assuming the current April prediction. However that means it would take 7.6 months before I would be better off fixed and that of course would take me to November 2023 before that break even point.

If prices drop sooner or there more support I will be better off and if it gets worse sooner my break even point will be shorter and so that is currently my best risk to take looking at the data. I would also be better off if the daily charge doesn't increase by same % as the general unit increase does but shall see with that too.

Edit: I have also just assumed 31 day months for everything in this as just haven't got around to updating but it wouldn't change much all in tbh. Correcting the days just means a monthly underpayment average of £31.66 instead and 7.93 months meaning it would be December 2023 then before I would be worse off.
Did you make the spreadsheet yourself? Wouldn't mind doing mine to show the Mrs, she has definitely got her head in the sand!

Back
Top Bottom