Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I'm fully aware of the bigger picture, and I want to see some disruption to force change. You seem scared of doing anything at all.

Im one of the biggest supporters of change but it needs to be the right kinda of change. Spending 12 years in the industry has really opened my eyes to a lot of things.

You say you are aware of the bigger picture but it really doesnt come accross that way. If anything you come across as being very short sighted on the issue and very much taking the daily mail attitude to action and commenting. Anyway i'll leave that there, we can agree to disagree.

Caporegime
Given the resistance to nationalising energy ownership in this country, would people here be supportive of a program to get solar panels on every home and double glazing all single glazed properties?
Not every property can have double glazing.
Solar panels on every home likely doesn't help the poorest either and probably does nothing for them but widen the wealth gap

Nationalise energy companies and seize all the windfarms and solar farms that are owned by investment groups and trusts

Historically I would say you would be lucky to see anything back from solar. Also I believe the real negative ones were the ones you didnt own so rightfully needed to be understood in regards the negatives of them being up there.

With panels becoming really common I suspect over the next few years and being able to demonstrate that you have a system capable of saving eg over £1000 a year on utils then unless utils crash in price I can only really see solar as a positive now. (when owned outright)

My ROI (return on investment, calculated properly so real ROI not the simpler version people use (who use return of investment)) is 11 years. Based on 29p electric, 2% inflation, 10% cost of capital. I suspect real ROI will be half that if energy prices for elec get close to £1 as predicted.
Thats ignoring any benefit from being able to buy cheap units of elec as thats not a certainty.
Its predicted to save me about 3000 units of elec a year, plus divert some units to water cylinder saving gas.

Solar panels on every home likely doesn't help the poorest either and probably does nothing for them but widen the wealth gap

Nationalise energy companies and seize all the windfarms and solar farms that are owned by investment groups and trusts

Actually the more solar individuals generate the less gas will be needed at expensive rate to generate the electricity. So everyone will benefit once we get enough solar going

Seizing assets is banana republic stuff, I know some people voted Brexit to lower us to those levels but we really shouldnt.
You think things are expensive now, wait till the pound plummets when the currency is destroyed if state level theft is taking place. (And theft is what it would be)

Soldato
I wouldn't expect panels on a house to drastically change house price, but I think with the current energy prices most people would view them positively, even before the prices were high they were useful.

I would not recommend we go around stealing solar farms either, but gov can pay for new ones that benefit everyone potentially, guess they may not want to run one though.

V F

V F

Soldato
Actually the more solar individuals generate the less gas will be needed at expensive rate to generate the electricity. So everyone will benefit once we get enough solar going

Seizing assets is banana republic stuff, I know some people voted Brexit to lower us to those levels but we really shouldnt.
You think things are expensive now, wait till the pound plummets when the currency is destroyed if state level theft is taking place. (And theft is what it would be)

The supermarket prices are getting crazy as it is right now. Less stuff bought, prices higher each week or more.

Soldato

How about kill all the poor? Maybe raise VAT and kill all the poor?

Soldato
Solar thermal has an even worse ROI. I started to research solar thermal as the previous owners of our house had already installed a solar unvented hot water cylinder which has two internal coils, one for heating it the traditional boiler method and another coil for connection to solar thermal array. They never got round to installing the panels though.

As my hot water comes from either heating oil or from burning wood in a biomass boiler, the calculated ROI of solar thermal is about 29 years and that's at todays prices! Don't think I'll bother with that.

V F

V F

Soldato
But thats mainly from inflation and agree its noticeable. People aren't used to it so really notice it.
I think its now just about the highest its been since I started work very late 80s

3 -4 weeks ago it was so easy to keep supermarket shopping below £100. Even a few months ago or so it was easy to keep it at £75. Now it's almost impossible without drastically cutting and it's just essentials. Everytime I look at the floor and say, how's that £110/£120/£130?

Then thinking back to the 1990s when you could spend £75 - £90 and fill two fridges and a freezer. Sometimes even lasting two weeks. Let alone how smaller everything has become. The food is shrinking fast.

Associate
With the talk of prices going to £6000, I wonder where the dude who was talking about people should pick up more work to pay the bills and how there's nothing wrong with the costs.

3 -4 weeks ago it was so easy to keep supermarket shopping below £100. Even a few months ago or so it was easy to keep it at £75. Now it's almost impossible without drastically cutting and it's just essentials. Everytime I look at the floor and say, how's that £110/£120/£130?

Then thinking back to the 1990s when you could spend £75 - £90 and fill two fridges and a freezer. Sometimes even lasting two weeks. Let alone how smaller everything has become. The food is shrinking fast.

Totally agree, we used to live pretty well on £80 a week (couple) but now regularly spend £120, thats the change basically since COVID so 2.5 years.

There is a bit of pound impact in there but not much.

I work in the food supply chain (global business), we just did our quarterly call and we put our prices up to cover the $1Billion increase we have seen in costs, we managed to get $1Billion positive price impact so maintained the bottom line, albeit with a lower % of course.
I suspect more is to come, costs are still increasing...
At least for the UK side we managed to cover our COVID, Brexit and now inflation costs. Customers had been arguing up until now about the costs of the first two being passed on, they just gave up and relented when we basically said, we aren't negotiating we are telling you and you can not order if you don't want to pay!

Soldato
Did you make the spreadsheet yourself? Wouldn't mind doing mine to show the Mrs, she has definitely got her head in the sand!
Yeah I made it. There is a first sheet that has all the information for the changes each month and you can adjust to show your rates as you want if you have anything different.

It also has my Octopus fixed in the sheet to do that compare over next 6 months and also what 2023-2024 will look like assuming moment April rate for the the year.

Want me to link file with WeTransfer?

Caporegime
apparently but what will really happen is people with solar panels get lower energy bills, the places that can't have solar panels end up with higher bills to make up for it and keep shareholders happy
Seize the lot most is owned by foreigners anyway who don't live here and avoid paying taxes.

Just parasites sucking out wealth for pensions and yachts

#Eat the rich, The queen needs to do one as well and stop getting her cut of offshore windfarms because she "owns the sea bed"

Build the guillotines and import some French people

Back
Top Bottom