Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
So these increased prices are due to the sanctions that have been put on Russia, these sanctions were meant to hurt the Russian people.
A lot of people here laughed, celebrated and even went as far as posting pictures of Russian shops with with barely anything on their shelves.

A couple of you did not but the majority of you did, personally I thought it was disgusting to be celebrating the misery of other civilians in this way.

Now six months on and what are the headlines we see

https://www.anews.com.tr/world/2022...-instead-of-taking-showers-amid-energy-crisis

Germans are asked to take less showers, just wipe themselves with a cloth.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ripled-citizens-advice-charity-eating-heating

British citizens are to choose between heating and food.

Egg on the face of so many of you, no this is not me gloating as unlike most of you I don't get off on others misery.
Comrade bot detected. :cry:

You do know that gas prices were already going mental before Russia decided to go full mental and the gas prices showed no signs of stopping? If anything the Russian orcs have only increased the rate of whihc prices were increasing but this wasn't an issue caused by the Russian invasion it's only been made worse by it.

The German article you quoted and use as evidence is the head of 1 German state advising on ways to cut back energy uses, its not a nation wide demand to bust open the washcloths. You are quoting it out of context for the article. The Guardian article is about the only reliable thing you've quoted/said but that itself has been a problem for many years its just now its on a wider scale as its efecting more people which is horrific.

Also re your gloating comment.... you're post is kinda the perfect example of trying to gloat

Soldato
How can they protect the poor then?
You think they care about the poor? I think they'll throw a few quid at the poor, might stop the rioting, but they are going on a lot about 'targeted support' so a lot of people are going to be left to just suck it up. I reckon.
Hopefully they will prove me wrong.

Caporegime
The cap will apparently cost 100 billion so they're not keen on that. I expect some (not enough) targeted support for the poorest, and everyone else will just have to struggle on.

The thing is this will not just affect the poorest, it will also be the classically called “jams” and those in the middle that will be screwed by what’s coming down the tracks.

Soldato
The thing is this will not just affect the poorest, it will this classically called “jams” and those in the middle that will be screwed by what’s coming down the tracks.

always the way, its the low income home owners who will be in big trouble with mortgage rates and prices rises.

sadly no support will come until you lose the house.

Soldato
You think they care about the poor? I think they'll throw a few quid at the poor, might stop the rioting, but they are going on a lot about 'targeted support' so a lot of people are going to be left to just suck it up. I reckon.
Hopefully they will prove me wrong.
Well, they don't want to lose all their voters, it's not the rich that voted them in alone. I suppose an election is a long ways of though

Soldato
always the way, its the low income home owners who will be in big trouble with mortgage rates and prices rises.

sadly no support will come until you lose the house.
You'd pay your mortgage first and then be cold.

People coming off fixed rate mortgages next year might be in for a shock.

Caporegime
Haha very true, perhaps Labour should ask them to raise the cap instead, then they'll freeze it!

Mind you, shoe on the other foot, it's easy to say what to do from the outside looking in.

Which is funny, because people
Lambast labour as having no answers, yet when they come up with something you get “it’s easy to say that from the outside looking In” types of people

Soldato
Which is funny, because people
Lambast labour as having no answers, yet when they come up with something you get “it’s easy to say that from the outside looking In” types of people

To be clear I am for a freeze of the cap, I think it's probably the best idea in the circumstances.

But no matter the scenario, whether important or not, it's almost the job of the opposition party to cast shade on the course of action their opponents are taking.

This is more of an observation on the nature of politics and people being stubborn than anything else.

Soldato
To be clear I am for a freeze of the cap, I think it's probably the best idea in the circumstances.

But no matter the scenario, whether important or not, it's almost the job of the opposition party to cast shade on the course of action their opponents are taking.

This is more of an observation on the nature of politics and people being stubborn than anything else.
If they put a cap on, wouldn't that mean we could potentially use energy without limit? It's problematic no?

Caporegime

I shouldve clarified, I wasnt talking about you specifically just those types of people who like to rip into labour at any chance

Soldato
People coming off fixed rate mortgages next year might be in for a shock.

Not even next year, my relatively small £70k mortgage is already looking like it's going to increase by almost £100/month (meeting with an advisor tomorrow, so hopefully locking in a deal ASAP). Not a huge amount, granted, but on top of the £250 in energy and general food etc. going up, it's not fun. I dread to think how people with £2-300k+ mortgages are managing

Back
Top Bottom