Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Everyone got that £400 hand out didn't they?

Just wondering how they know who really needs it.
If they target it it will be people on benefits, UC, disabled, everyone else would be SOL. They can't just hand a grand to everyone, you'll have tools who don't need it bragging about buying a new graphics card or gambling it away.

Don't be silly, for a cool £200 return trip to Manchester from London on our railways it will shave a good 10 mins off each way!!

Yet again.... Its not about time.... Its capacity get a grip and get over it, people are constantly moaning about lack of long term planning.... This is for the next 50-100 years if not more so.

Yet again.... Its not about time.... Its capacity get a grip and get over it, people are constantly moaning about lack of long term planning.... This is for the next 50-100 years if not more so.

Its a terrible use of money.

Its so much cash for so little benefit to so few people.

There are.Countless other ways to spend 100 bln.

More tube-lines for London in the name of the queen maybe, that only benifit Londoners ? The only travesty of HS2 is that it started in London. It should have worked down from the North not up.

HS2 is about adding capacity, not cutting journey times. They’ll be able to fit more local and freight trains on the existing lines as a result.

Crossrail was mostly funded by TfL (aka Londoners) and frankly more are needed. The RER and metro in Paris so much better than what London has.

Let’s not let the facts get in the way of reality.

Ninja edit: I’m not saying HS2 is value for money, I’m just saying there is a lot more to it than journey times.

I assume you aren't locked into a fixed term as that looks like the current price cap to me? If it is the price cap then prep for a doubling in bills from 1st October
Thanks for the reply. Turns out we're on Next Flex which is the variable tariff I believe. But when you look at their fixed tariffs, monthly charges climb up to £420 and £510 respectively. Which from what you said, we'll be joining the likes of come October.
Where do you think the 100b goes ?
Lawyers and consultants? Plus lets not forget the original budget was around £40bn, then they said £55bn, then they said £70-80bn, then they said £100bn and then started cutting back as a way to stop the costs spiralling.

Thanks for the reply. Turns out we're on Next Flex which is the variable tariff I believe. But when you look at their fixed tariffs, monthly charges climb up to £420 and £510 respectively. Which from what you said, we'll be joining the likes of come October.

Lawyers and consultants? Plus lets not forget the original budget was around £40bn, then they said £55bn, then they said £70-80bn, then they said £100bn and then started cutting back as a way to stop the costs spiralling.

Some will be lawyers and consultants
But mainly construction firms and individuals being forced to vacate sometimes very expensive property to make way for the lines. Some of these will be businesses who have to relocate whilst trying to keep going.
I actually was part of a group that loaned one business the money to do this, the completely (IMO) unfair process was they had to make the move, get their business running and then start the process of trying to claim back the costs incurred!

Where do you think the 100b goes ?

Coke and hookers probably!
Also, it's very destructive. Vast swathes of ancient woodland and nature rich areas have been steam rolled through

Yeah the current package isn't enough. But it's near impossible to correctly target people.
There will always be people who fall though the cracks. People who need it but don't get it.

That's much more important here as its life changing.

Can't do council tax banding, cand just give it to UC/disabled. Many people on low incomes or high burdens will need it too.
I guess you can argue some people have over exposed themselves.

But more people need more help.

I'm interested about what this does to the housing market along with mortgage rates. There are quite a lot of new build developments in SE England. Can they even sell all this stock?

Labour, windfall tax to freeze unit prices for 6 months, not paid back by bill payers
Conservatives, £100b loans from banks underwritten by Gov to freeze unit prices for 2 years. Paid back on bills over X years.

That's the key difference that would allow the new PM to push this through. Hopefully most will be on no exit fees if recently signed up to a fixed rate deal.

Labour, windfall tax to freeze unit prices for 6 months, not paid back by bill payers
Conservatives, £100b loans from banks underwritten by Gov to freeze unit prices for 2 years. Paid back on bills over X years.

That's the key difference that would allow the new PM to push this through. Hopefully most will be on no exit fees if recently signed up to a fixed rate deal.

Many will be on big exit fees. I've seen 300 pounds banded around.

They need to be telling people now! paid bank on bills for X years means it will be 2k (or whatever the cap is) for the next decade at least

Not saying its a bad plan. And at least we will know the costs and decisions like solar would be much easier to price in

More tube-lines for London in the name of the queen maybe, that only benifit Londoners ? The only travesty of HS2 is that it started in London. It should have worked down from the North not up.
London and the South East pretty much finances the rest of the country so a bit of investment isn't exactly outrageous is it?

It’s nowhere near enough for those on benefits ,disabled or the elderly! By next year their fuel bill alone will half of their received benefit/state pensions.
Will it, were on benefits and have a disabled child, plus another child. It will be no where near half of the received benefits.

Yeah I guess you'll get the odd scenario where 1% might need help but the help for those doesn't need to be across the board.
Plus they should assess if people are doing everything they can to reduce the bills themselves.
No good complaining you need help and you have your heating on 24/7 at 25c. People first need to be sensible.
We've asked our childs doctors about heading and they said 18c through the day is more than adequate said to put extra clothes on first and a blanket.
We've cut phone bills right down, phone three up and explained and they let us downgrade the contacts.
Got rid of all but one streaming package.
Reduced hot water usage, reduced electric usage.

What about everyone else who is now the breadline, its going to be bloody hard for the majority of the UK, middle earners etc yet all headlines are the most venerable.... Its bloody everyone !! (more or less)

Back
Top Bottom