Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
Will it, were on benefits and have a disabled child, plus another child. It will be no where near half of the received benefits.
There is a benefits cap and £6k for typical energy use is 26-45% of the cap depending if you're single or a couple and live inside or outside greater London. Many of those on benefits will be receiving less than the cap and also don't have a wage in addition.

Caporegime
Really? Very surprised at that.

Yeah so was I.
Makes sense for me. (able to pay, makes it less confusing with accuring credit etc) but for anyone tempted to spend it... Its going to be more tempting.

This is only for people with a DD if you cancel it. Its credited to account

Soldato
Really? Very surprised at that.
Some energy companies take the direct debit for your bill and then pay you back the £66 each month into your bank account.
They aren’t paying £400 up front though….
From Scottish Power “
  • If you pay by monthly Direct Debit, the discount will be issued as a refund to your bank account after we’ve collected your Direct Debit.”

• Seems a backwards way of doing it, lots of people will struggle to pay their bill so having the agility to take £66 off it will help more and could stop people going overdrawn and therefore paying fees.

Caporegime
Some energy companies take the direct debit for your bill and then pay you back the £66 each month into your bank account.
Seems a backwards way of doing it, lots of people will struggle to pay their bill so having the agility to take £66 off it will help more and could stop people going overdrawn and therefore paying fees.

If you're fine it's good. If you're struggling it's bad.

That's what I think anyway

Soldato
They aren’t paying £400 up front though….
From Scottish Power “
  • If you pay by monthly Direct Debit, the discount will be issued as a refund to your bank account after we’ve collected your Direct Debit.”

• Seems a backwards way of doing it, lots of people will struggle to pay their bill so having the agility to take £66 off it will help more and could stop people going overdrawn and therefore paying fees.
Yes I assumed it would just be standard across the board to take the £66 off the bill every month, not just chuck £400 in someones account.

Soldato
That’s kind of a narrow view. Trains aren’t just for commuters and people on business trips.

Correct, but that does make up over half of the usage - getting rid of even 50% of those would free up loads of capacity.

Besides, as @413x quite rightly points out, trains just aren't fit for purpose in most of the country - I'm not sure about London, but even in Birmingham, the supposed "second city", the service is dire. My partner started a new job last month and now has to travel into the city centre (3 stops away), so far she's claimed more than half the cost of her monthly season ticket back in "delay repay", and is already so fed up with it she's considering changing it to a bus ticket instead, sure it takes a bit longer, but it's far more reliable, flexible, frequent, and saves a 30 minute walk to the station in the morning.

Soldato
Ithought he was talking about the £400 from the government...
Ohh I completely skipped past that.
I wasn't even aware it started already? I thought it was starting nearer November?
Seems rather strange they (scotish power that is) are actually refunding the amount to people as the money is for energy bills not TV's.

Giving £400 in one lump sum does nothing to help people who have an impulse to spend whenever they have money (which is a crap ton of the population from my understanding)

Soldato
I wasn't even aware it started already? I thought it was starting nearer November?
Seems rather strange they (scotish power that is) are actually refunding the amount to people as the money is for energy bills not TV's.

Giving £400 in one lump sum does nothing to help people who have an impulse to spend whenever they have money (which is a crap ton of the population from my understanding)

That's £400 off a 4080 :D :D :D :D

Soldato

Yes, I didn't think any company was doing it that way. I know EDF are doing the £66 / £67 a month thing. I think @413x should confirm that with his supplier.

Soldato

They aren’t giving it in one lump sum. They are refunding £66/£67 each month after they collect the direct debit.

Soldato
Unfortunately if they do it that way some people will waste it, when they could have been buying food.
Well 413x says the £400 is being refunded to his bank instead of being added a credit.
Guess he needs to clarify maybe as it would be very strange for the energy companies to do that.
I've had heated arguements with people about the WHD demanding its refunded to there bank immediately or they will go to ofgem lol

Back
Top Bottom