Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I'm interested about what this does to the housing market along with mortgage rates. There are quite a lot of new build developments in SE England. Can they even sell all this stock?
Yes, supply is still massively outstripped by demand and there is a very healthy profit margin on new builds, they’ll be fine.

Soldato
One thing I noticed at work talking to people is those that are worried about affording everything are by a large majority the ones that do things like lease cars, at the time they could easily afford that £450 a month car.
The ones that feel better about things are like me the ones that buy from savings and personal loans and have either small outgoings or completely paid off cars.
I wonder if we will see less of this in the long run.
I'm the sort of person that hates debt. I pay off loans as fast as possible with the exception of the mortgage, I save for 99% of things I buy.

Soldato
Yeah demand is still there too.
I think there's been a slight dip this last month. But this is after ridiculous price rises.
yup. My house has gone up more than my annual salary over the last two years. Utterly stupid.

No one wants a price crash, that would be massively damaging to many people, but 10 years of price stagnation will go a long way to correcting prices.

Caporegime
One thing I noticed at work talking to people is those that are worried about affording everything are by a large majority the ones that do things like lease cars, at the time they could easily afford that £450 a month car.
The ones that feel better about things are like me the ones that buy from savings and personal loans and have either small outgoings or completely paid off cars.
I wonder if we will see less of this in the long run.
I'm the sort of person that hates debt. I pay off loans as fast as possible with the exception of the mortgage, I save for 99% of things I buy.

Same as me. I was brought up not to spend what you don't have.
Only debt is my mortgage. Because, well, can't really not.

But you can secure that for years to Mitigate risk.

Loaded up with klarna and leasing and loans for cars (when you can get much cheaper cars, so it is a bit like phones, it is definitely a choice to have a brand new audi vs a old used Peugeot) and 50 a month mobiles.

I had a friend paying 70 a month for his iPhone and a lease car. I was blown away. He was on same wage as me.

Those commitments are fine.. Until now.

Soldato
Will it, were on benefits and have a disabled child, plus another child. It will be no where near half of the received benefits.

Yeah I guess you'll get the odd scenario where 1% might need help but the help for those doesn't need to be across the board.
Plus they should assess if people are doing everything they can to reduce the bills themselves.
No good complaining you need help and you have your heating on 24/7 at 25c. People first need to be sensible.
We've asked our childs doctors about heading and they said 18c through the day is more than adequate said to put extra clothes on first and a blanket.
We've cut phone bills right down, phone three up and explained and they let us downgrade the contacts.
Got rid of all but one streaming package.
Reduced hot water usage, reduced electric usage.
Sorry like but those poor souls on State Pension or single mothers on UC will be in destitution by April next year and BTW my wife is disabled and I work so I know exactly how much those on disabled benefit who’s partner works actually get.

Soldato
I see the value in telling people to focus on efficiency and trying to live a more sustainable life... but successive governments - which include several supposedly conservative ones (pfft) - have made no attempt to even try to make our energy usage more sensible because anything that disturbs the parasites suckling down the last morsel this country has is anathema to them.

Christ you're an insufferable ****

Soldato
Sorry like but those poor souls on State Pension or single mothers on UC will be in destitution by April next year and BTW my wife is disabled and I work so I know exactly how much those on disabled benefit who’s partner works actually get.
Which is all covered when I said that 1% will be the ones that need the extra on top of what has already been promised. (May not be exactly 1% , before you pull me up on that as well)

Soldato
HS2 is about adding capacity, not cutting journey times. They’ll be able to fit more local and freight trains on the existing lines as a result.

Crossrail was mostly funded by TfL (aka Londoners) and frankly more are needed. The RER and metro in Paris so much better than what London has.

Let’s not let the facts get in the way of reality.

Ninja edit: I’m not saying HS2 is value for money, I’m just saying there is a lot more to it than journey times.

We should be encouraging people out of trains (and transport in general) - COVID proved that huge swathes of the workforce are perfectly capable of working and meeting remotely.

Soldato
Which is all covered when I said that 1% will be the ones that need the extra on top of what has already been promised. (May not be exactly 1% , before you pull me up on that as well)
Listen I do understand where your coming from there will without a doubt be people that don’t need it that will get the help and you will also have some of the idiots that do really need the help, spending the money that’s supposed to help them on new TVs or a night out and a line of coke because “Jayden“ is getting her down, there are already reports of people enquiring about withdrawing the fuel payment, but those cases will be few and far between. I have to admit we’re really lucky as I locked into a fix in October last year that runs until October23 and my redundancy and pension from the Army paid for the vast majority of my house, but even our disposable income is getting less and less every month, I really do feel for those that are going to have to make a choice between food and fuel in the next few months.

Caporegime
Coke and hookers probably!
Also, it's very destructive. Vast swathes of ancient woodland and nature rich areas have been steam rolled through

Yeah the current package isn't enough. But it's near impossible to correctly target people.
There will always be people who fall though the cracks. People who need it but don't get it.

That's much more important here as its life changing.

Can't do council tax banding, cand just give it to UC/disabled. Many people on low incomes or high burdens will need it too.
I guess you can argue some people have over exposed themselves.

But more people need more help.
Jobs for people to earn money and pay tax and gives companies business to then pay tax.

Soldato
We should be encouraging people out of trains (and transport in general) - COVID proved that huge swathes of the workforce are perfectly capable of working and meeting remotely.
That’s kind of a narrow view. Trains aren’t just for commuters and people on business trips.

So no, we should not be encouraging people off trains, because the alternative is cars…

If anything they should be cheaper and more accessible to everyone slot achieve the opposite of what you suggest.

Caporegime
Trains seriously suck in the UK.
I don't use them anymore. Not worth the hassle.

I'm fortunate I can get the national express to the airports. This was amazing.

It cost me 30 pounds return to get to Gatwick Airport. And 16 pounds to get to Bristol Airport.
And I was glad I used the coach. It was the day of the a strike!

Trains
-slow
-expensive
-unreliable
-low standard (not all)

My gf often gets the train when she has to go into the office. No exaggeration I think she's had issues on half those journeys.
Cancellations, delays, strikes.

Soldato
Its a damn waste of money that's what it is.

A garden gnome is an asset. Doesn't mean its not junk

a garden gnome is a formidable asset when you are going to pay your irish builder a visit

CYUVT_qUoAADAYo

Soldato
100BN : Jobs for people to earn money and pay tax and gives companies business to then pay tax.
the 100bn would mostly be going to foreign gas/electricity import companies that aren't contributing to uk economy/jobs, maybe some uk pension/sharehold benefit,
the windfall tax can take care of local firms (like the french cap)

Which is all covered when I said that 1% will be the ones that need the extra
the fuel poverty calculation is meaningless/not fit for purpose then ... that's more than 1%

Caporegime
Just rung up to get my credit balance refunded as even though it got confirmed on chat it never happened.

So 600 pounds back and new DD set at 105 (their calculation)

The 400 pounds arrives into our bank account not credit as per Scottish Power's policy(as someone here pointed out) which means don't have to faff with weird DD changes

Back
Top Bottom