Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Sorry like but those poor souls on State Pension or single mothers on UC will be in destitution by April next year and BTW my wife is disabled and I work so I know exactly how much those on disabled benefit who’s partner works actually get.

Not really my ex whom is on UC and a single mother of 2 is quids in to the tune of £950 in the black every month after all benefits and my child maintenance. Add in the extra support she gets.
- £650 cost of living payment
- £400 for general energy
- £150 council tax rebate (even though she doesn't pay the council tax)
- Already has reduced rates for water, gas & electric
- Reduced internet through social tariff
- Energy bill support scheme
- Has applied for household support fund scheme
- Has applied for her PIP finally due to health condition

So that is an additional £1200 just with the basic pay-outs on top of her £950 she has spare. Not all will be destitute. Yes a lot will be and will genuinely struggle but it isn't a blanket issue either. I mean fair play, she getting what she can and that. But she is genuinely not got to worry even if the prices rise come the predicted £6K+ figure next year as will still be quid's in.

Those working on minimum wage, zero hour contracts with a child or two. Those are the people whom need help because they don't qualify for as much and yet pay more out for all theirs bills as is and I also expect you are in similar with disabled wife and you working. The single mums on UC though, nah they will generally be good through all this tbh.

Soldato
Not really my ex whom is on UC and a single mother of 2 is quids in to the tune of £950 in the black every month after all benefits and my child maintenance. Add in the extra support she gets.
- £650 cost of living payment
- £400 for general energy
- £150 council tax rebate (even though she doesn't pay the council tax)
- Already has reduced rates for water, gas & electric
- Reduced internet through social tariff
- Energy bill support scheme
- Has applied for household support fund scheme
- Has applied for her PIP finally due to health condition

So that is an additional £1200 just with the basic pay-outs on top of her £950 she has spare. Not all will be destitute. Yes a lot will be and will genuinely struggle but it isn't a blanket issue either. I mean fair play, she getting what she can and that. But she is genuinely not got to worry even if the prices rise come the predicted £6K+ figure next year as will still be quid's in.

Those working on minimum wage, zero hour contracts with a child or two. Those are the people whom need help because they don't qualify for as much and yet pay more out for all theirs bills as is and I also expect you are in similar with disabled wife and you working. The single mums on UC though, nah they will generally be good through all this tbh.
She is on UC because she must be on a very low income (you know that 42% of those on UC work and that the government are subsidising low wages?).

Given she has a health condition (you don't elaborate on how severe it is) she has done well to protect herself and put herself in a decent position by taking advantage of programmes for those on a low income (not all do, I would speculate that many are not even aware, I read an article that confirmed this for the population in general and these things are not exactly made prominent).

Reading your post from an unbiased perspective, initially I couldn't tell whether you were in fact praising her. If the government are allowing companies to exploit the low paid then that is the government's fault and no one else's.

Soldato
She is on UC because she must be on a very low income (you know that 42% of those on UC work and that the government are subsidising low wages?).

Given she has a health condition (you don't elaborate on how severe it is) she has done well to protect herself and put herself (not all do) in a decent position by taking advantage of programmes for those on a low income. Reading your post from an unbiased perspective, initially I couldn't tell whether you were in fact praising her. If the government are allowing companies to exploit the low paid then that is the government's fault and no one else's.
Oh was just being factual with it. She is on zero income as she doesn't work at all. The benefit with UC covers all her bills and housing as needed. She has pelvic muscle damage and endo which affects her mobility to some extent. PIP is actually something I said to her when we was together to sort because it clearly limits her ability for work etc but yeah. Hard to get PIP on those things. She went and filled it all out with CA to hopefully get sorted.

I get frustrated that she hasn't worked and gets such support but also feel it fair play since that is what the system allows and so she is only doing what she needs. It just seems proportionately that those on low income without support really aren't getting the support they need.

If people like myself on a good and healthy wage with relative low mortgage, those renting and paying bills must be struggling so much more.

Soldato
that £1200 is for 6months though ? .. and, before cap update period was being modified.

-----------------

100BN : Jobs for people to earn money and pay tax and gives companies business to then pay tax.
the 100bn would mostly be going to foreign gas/electricity import companies that aren't contributing to uk economy/jobs, maybe some uk pension/sharehold benefit,
the windfall tax can take care of local firms (like the french cap)

Jobs for people to earn money and pay tax and gives companies business to then pay tax.
yes the 100Bn wouldn't have been going to UK jobs .. it's these imports

52309854466_34ed73053c_h_d.jpg

Soldato
If people like myself on a good and healthy wage with relative low mortgage, those renting and paying bills must be struggling so much more.

Single person household and renting. I'm getting arseholed at the moment but nothing i can do about it. I can afford the increase but it's a hell of a kick in the teeth and i resent paying rent which is more than a mortgage would be but I can't save at a suitable rate to raise a deposit for the overinflated housing market

Caporegime
:eek:

This is only going to build

Going to be a lot of what could be considered critical businesses that the government will basically have to bail out.
The slaughter House one is an interesting one. It's critical as long as animals need to be slaughtered. But if those animals aren't reared it's not needed.

But this list is going to grow.
Government debt is going to grow significantly next 12 months.

100s of billions is needed

Soldato
It's all rather depressing isn't it.

Heck I like to think we have a decent household income but now have some big decisions to make; big recession looming as no one will have any disposable income to spend

Cost of living is coming from all angles; there's no escaping it and it does worry how it's all going to end.

Soldato
If they target it it will be people on benefits, UC, disabled, everyone else would be SOL. They can't just hand a grand to everyone, you'll have tools who don't need it bragging about buying a new graphics card or gambling it away.
I got a feeling any further COL if they happen will be far more targeted than the previous, is going to be a lot of upset people.

Soldato

Energy suppliers seem to have settled on what they want to happen with a energy tariff deficit fund. Smooth out the short term price hikes (22-24) but annual bills will be around the £2000 price cap level for the next decade or so even if costs drop.

Seems to be the only real option, asking the public to take on the full cost in one hit will cause too much damage and businesses going under will slow down our economic recovery.

Soldato

Energy suppliers seem to have settled on what they want to happen with a energy tariff deficit fund. Smooth out the short term price hikes (22-24) but annual bills will be around the £2000 price cap level for the next decade or so even if costs drop.

Seems to be the only real option, asking the public to take on the full cost in one hit will cause too much damage and businesses going under will slow down our economic recovery.

Yep that was what I said at some earlier point in this thread, set a cap but make it high enough that it's not encouraging wastefulness.

When prices drop, keep cap higher than prices. The lower prices should pay off the debt of the higher ones eventually.

It does mean they need to find a way of bringing prices down though.

Soldato
Yep that was what I said at some earlier point in this thread, set a cap but make it high enough that it's not encouraging wastefulness.

When prices drop, keep cap higher than prices. The lower prices should pay off the debt of the higher ones eventually.

It does mean they need to find a way of bringing prices down though.
Yep thats their plan, however note they want the government to be the guarantor. If nothing is fixed on energy production, the market, then these prices are not going back down. Its not just going to just go down over time by itself or something, there will need to be intervention of which no one has anything planned yet. So more then likely the government will be paying that loan in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom