Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I have decided to take up Sainburys Energy 1 Year Smooth Renew v21 tariff as my current fix is up in October and this will carry on from then. The rates are sky high compared to what I am paying now but everyone is in the same boat and I reckon it will still be cheaper than tomorrows figures for October and then the rises in January and April. The good news is that there are no fees to exit should the government actually get off their backsides and do something. The unit rates are Electricity 67.15485p per kWh, SC 50.05p per day, Gas 16.821p per kWh, SC 27.22p per day which is a massive increase over my current prices but what other choice is there? That will hit me for £287.87 a month which is a whopping £202.77 extra per month and I have no idea how I am going to afford it long term. I don't have Sky, Netflix or anything like that to get rid of and my energy use is as low as I can possibly get it. We don't have takeaways and we don't have holidays and it looks like Christmas will have to be cancelled this year. This is a nightmare. I am glad I don't have a mortgage because those poor people must be pulling their hair out.
How much would it have been if you didn't take a fixed deal?

I've decided that I'm going to wing it out on a variable tariff. The way I see it, it's a gamble whatever choice you make, so I opted for what I think might be the cheapest option in the long term.

Soldato

I've decided that I'm going to wing it out on a variable tariff. The way I see it, it's a gamble whatever choice you make, so I opted for what I think might be the cheapest option in the long term.
i am taking a gamble on the SVR and hoping the Tories pull their fingers out

Soldato
In the darker winter months I’ll be heating water just using electric; using the Octo Go cheap overnight rate to run the water cylinder immersion heater and charging my battery to use it again later in the evening.
2x 3 kWh for a hour = 6 kWh at 7.5p = 45p a day

Man of Honour

The CVR is whatever the current rate is which would be irrelevant to me as it will have been replaced by whatever they announce tomorrow by the time my deal ends. I have 14 days to cancel anyway plus no fee's for exiting so if it's a mistake I can always switch away from it easily enough.

Soldato
i am taking a gamble on the SVR and hoping the Tories pull their fingers out
The gov plan is 2030, before then is only debt and fine words. The fixes people have good or bad, will end so I presume we all need to transfer to the solar panel thread and hope that improves its tech. Best wind energy system I saw was like a giant advert sign spinning very resilient to peak gust damage, it was done DIY.

The main reason to act now is only 8% of people have a plan. To me that says millions of people will move and rush to wipe out alternatives like solar, the stock will be gone if suddenly people get that. Not that solar is any ideal in winter so really not sure as wind power is less known or reliable

Soldato
So capped at 52p/kwh for leccy and 15p/kwh for gas.
They never include this, it's all about "average household." Do they think people can't use a calculator to work out their own increase?
The headline figure of the average family rate is so awful. Just announce the new unit and standing rates so we know where we stand.

Now I just sit back to see what the Octopus Go day rates are going to jump to as it’ll certainly be over 52p/kWh.

Soldato
Thinking of buying one of those electric clothes dryer tent type things, I rarely have the heating on in winter but my clothes suffer.
we have one . they are excellent. 300w , takes a reasonable sized full load , and 2hrs of heat will give a t-shirt and pants load a good seeing too where as jeans and jumpers need the 4 hr one (which in really cold weather may not do it fully but goes a long way). also gives your room a little heat so no downside really

Soldato
Thinking of buying one of those electric clothes dryer tent type things, I rarely have the heating on in winter but my clothes suffer.
we have the dry soon deluxe from lakeland, and if I'm honest I've not been impressed. To get clothes properly dry expect it to be on for 12+hours. Even then they're advised to be used in an already warm environment to be effective, perhaps that's the reason for the difference in opinion between the poster above and myself. If we use it it would be in the kitchen downstairs overnight without any heating on.

Associate
I'm not really sure I get this whole drive towards what seems to be "use less power at a time, but for FAR longer" type appliances.

Whether it's 300watts for 10 hours, or 3000watts for 1 hour, I fail to see the point in going the long route? Especially if it involves buying new appliances to do so. :confused:

Soldato
So new price cap rates:

Electricity is 52p/kWh (from 28p) and standing charge now 46p/day (from 45p)
Gas is 15p/kWh (from 7p) and standing charge now 28p/day (from 27p).

The standing charge not going up brings the headline figure down a bit but that’s an 86% increase in electric and 114% gas unit costs. Absolutely grim.

And this is before the January rise… :(

Associate
And people will still say Solar PV is not worth it. Now thinking this is one of the best decision I have made. Payback now looking under 5 years.
For a large proportion of the population it is *still* not worth it, Especially without a battery for storage.
People who are at work all day and have no storage are basically just providing the grid with cheap leccy (due to the ****poor pay rates for feeding into the grid) and still having to pay full price on the leccy they themselves use in the evening.
I would go as far as to say that a battery is more important than solar to be honest, unless you're a WFH / in the home all day.

I honestly think the whole "Residential Solar feeding the grid" needs to be re-thought. Scrap the whole "Feed in Tarrif" (and whatever else it's called now to replace FIT) It should be done on a floating balance. If you feed in 10kWh in a day, you should be able to draw back 10kWh with no fees attached. It would also prevent so many energy companies ripping off customers by paying them 6p per KW/h and then turning around and charging them 52p per kW/h when they come home in the evening and turn the lights on.

Soldato
I'm not really sure I get this whole drive towards what seems to be "use less power at a time, but for FAR longer" type appliances.

Whether it's 300watts for 10 hours, or 3000watts for 1 hour, I fail to see the point in going the long route? Especially if it involves buying new appliances to do so. :confused:
it made sense when we bought it, family of 4, 2 young kids, cheaper rates, only use the heating for a quick burn now and then. Needless to say it won't be turned on this winter.

Back
Top Bottom