Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
we have the dry soon deluxe from lakeland, and if I'm honest I've not been impressed. To get clothes properly dry expect it to be on for 12+hours. Even then they're advised to be used in an already warm environment to be effective, perhaps that's the reason for the difference in opinion between the poster above and myself. If we use it it would be in the kitchen downstairs overnight without any heating on.
Had one them too. Gave it away was so disappointed in it.

Soldato
So new price cap rates:

Electricity is 52p/kWh (from 28p) and standing charge now 46p/day (from 45p)
Gas is 15p/kWh (from 7p) and standing charge now 28p/day (from 27p).

The standing charge not going up brings the headline figure down a bit but that’s an 86% increase in electric and 114% gas unit costs. Absolutely grim.

And this is before the January rise… :(
Thanks for that, I was looking to see what the standing rate changes were but couldn't see, at least from the initial announcements.

Soldato
For a large proportion of the population it is *still* not worth it, Especially without a battery for storage.
People who are at work all day and have no storage are basically just providing the grid with cheap leccy (due to the ****poor pay rates for feeding into the grid) and still having to pay full price on the leccy they themselves use in the evening.
I would go as far as to say that a battery is more important than solar to be honest, unless you're a WFH / in the home all day.

I honestly think the whole "Residential Solar feeding the grid" needs to be re-thought. Scrap the whole "Feed in Tarrif" (and whatever else it's called now to replace FIT) It should be done on a floating balance. If you feed in 10kWh in a day, you should be able to draw back 10kWh with no fees attached. It would also prevent so many energy companies ripping off customers by paying them 6p per KW/h and then turning around and charging them 52p per kW/h when they come home in the evening and turn the lights on.
the battery is an important part of the puzzle at the moment. the "good" FIT has already been canned (and to be fair I get it. people were getting paid 50p+ per KW/h generated even if they used it themselves. not really sustainable esp as the price of the system has plummeted)
. either now you choose an agile tarif or you just sell back to the grid (for very little, I get 4.1p per KW/h) I would love "bank" my exported energy and then get it back from the grid when needed. I think some states in the US offer that. brilliant if you can get it but I can't imagine we will get offered that (but would love to be wrong).

Soldato
For a large proportion of the population it is *still* not worth it, Especially without a battery for storage.
People who are at work all day and have no storage are basically just providing the grid with cheap leccy (due to the ****poor pay rates for feeding into the grid) and still having to pay full price on the leccy they themselves use in the evening.
I would go as far as to say that a battery is more important than solar to be honest, unless you're a WFH / in the home all day.

I honestly think the whole "Residential Solar feeding the grid" needs to be re-thought. Scrap the whole "Feed in Tarrif" (and whatever else it's called now to replace FIT) It should be done on a floating balance. If you feed in 10kWh in a day, you should be able to draw back 10kWh with no fees attached. It would also prevent so many energy companies ripping off customers by paying them 6p per KW/h and then turning around and charging them 52p per kW/h when they come home in the evening and turn the lights on.

SEG payments are silly and the energy companies are exploiting it.

I agree, the prices paid back to solar exporters should move with the actual costs of the units at least, if not 1:1 parity.

Octopus seems to do this the best, they pay the best export via Agile.

Soldato
the battery is an important part of the puzzle at the moment. the FIT has already been canned. either now you choose an agile tarif or you just sell back to the grid (for very little, I get 4.1p per KW/h) I would love "bank" my exported energy and then get it back from the grid when needed. I think some states in the US offer that. brilliant if you can get it but I can't imagine we will get offered that (but would love to be wrong).

Tesla Energy Plan kind of works like this if you have a Tesla Powerwall.

You pay the same per unit as you get for exporting them from solar, so there is no penalty to using or exporting, and you can just use it without worrying about trying to optimise your life.

Expensive things to get the Powerwalls though.

Caporegime
the battery is an important part of the puzzle at the moment. the "good" FIT has already been canned (and to be fair I get it. people were getting paid 50p+ per KW/h generated even if they used it themselves. not really sustainable esp as the price of the system has plummeted)
. either now you choose an agile tarif or you just sell back to the grid (for very little, I get 4.1p per KW/h) I would love "bank" my exported energy and then get it back from the grid when needed. I think some states in the US offer that. brilliant if you can get it but I can't imagine we will get offered that (but would love to be wrong).
Batteries are still just too expensive.
If you're planning to move in under 5 years it's a definite loss.
If you're planning to move in under 10 you'd need these prices to hold throughout

Soldato
yeah I would have liked a powerwall. I just couldn't afford it tbh (I do wish we had got bigger battery storage, maybe 3x 3.2kwh pylon batteries instead of 3x 2.4 kWh but it's a cost Vs benefit balancing act. also was aware that the batter may be a short term necessity assuming cars soon start to support V2H , V2G and will be able to soak up excess solar.

as for batteries still too expensive. I don't think so. I have a usable 6kwh per day of storage. which is free power if from solar or 7p kWh if from octopus go.
the battery was £2200 and has 10 year warranty but expected 25 years life

we are not planning on selling but if we did your surely add value to home

Man of Honour
Batteries are still just too expensive.
If you're planning to move in under 5 years it's a definite loss.
If you're planning to move in under 10 you'd need these prices to hold throughout

With the prices set to rise more now has never been a better time to invest in solar and battery. As anything though it's always a risk, but from an ecological perspective if you're able to reduce your draw from the grid it can only be a good thing to try and generate as much as possible yourself. Of course it'll cause a stir for the grid in the long term if they're not providing 100% of the electricity, so a new business model will need to be explored if all households and businesses become over 50% self sufficient.

Just like there will be an eV tax at some point since they'll be missing out on it if everyone goes electric.

We've not gone for Tesla batteries, no point really, but I don't like Tesla so possibly might have tainted our decision!

Caporegime
With the prices set to rise more now has never been a better time to invest in solar and battery. As anything though it's always a risk, but from an ecological perspective if you're able to reduce your draw from the grid it can only be a good thing to try and generate as much as possible yourself. Of course it'll cause a stir for the grid in the long term if they're not providing 100% of the electricity, so a new business model will need to be explored if all households and businesses become over 50% self sufficient.

Just like there will be an eV tax at some point since they'll be missing out on it if everyone goes electric.

We've not gone for Tesla batteries, no point really, but I don't like Tesla so possibly might have tainted our decision!

Absolutely.
Id already have it if this was a forever home.

From BBC..
Analysts Cornwall Insight have revised their forecast for January's energy price cap to an eye-watering £5,386 a year.

What are the government going to do?i await lizz truss' next move

Associate
At the rates they’ve announced today for our worse month (January) usage wise. It will cost us £309 for gas. £224 for electric.

Does anyone know the approx increase for January?

Associate
I’m seriously considering investing in solar panels and batteries now, can’t see these prices remotely going back down again now, just worry all installers just pushing their prices up as we speak lol.

Soldato
I have decided to take up Sainburys Energy 1 Year Smooth Renew v21 tariff as my current fix is up in October and this will carry on from then. The rates are sky high compared to what I am paying now but everyone is in the same boat and I reckon it will still be cheaper than tomorrows figures for October and then the rises in January and April. The good news is that there are no fees to exit should the government actually get off their backsides and do something. The unit rates are Electricity 67.15485p per kWh, SC 50.05p per day, Gas 16.821p per kWh, SC 27.22p per day which is a massive increase over my current prices but what other choice is there? That will hit me for £287.87 a month which is a whopping £202.77 extra per month and I have no idea how I am going to afford it long term. I don't have Sky, Netflix or anything like that to get rid of and my energy use is as low as I can possibly get it. We don't have takeaways and we don't have holidays and it looks like Christmas will have to be cancelled this year. This is a nightmare. I am glad I don't have a mortgage because those poor people must be pulling their hair out.

I think sainsburys offered the same to me, but it looked substantially more expensive than the variable rate.

I think I might plug those numbers in to my spreadsheet along with what a potential rise in January might be and see what's what.

My concern with fixing is that you're paying quite a bit over the unit costs now, which means the unit cost will have to increase significantly for the fixed tariff to be of better value in January.

Back
Top Bottom