Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
That would depend completely on what you class as "a short time" and how your heating is set up.

If you have smart TRVs and can heat just the single room then

Running cost for 2kw heating via electricity: £1.04
Running cost for 2kw heating via gas: £0.50 (assuming 90% efficient boiler)

Even if your boiler is only 50% efficient, the gas cost is £0.9

The only way it would be cheaper, is if that "short time" is a few minutes, in which case you've got the losses from heating the boiler itself and pipes - the radiator will barely get hot. But then even the oil filled rad isn't going to make much of a difference if you're only turning it on for that long.
tbh i pretty much only live in the one room when i come home from work as pc is in bedroom, so instead putting heating on for all of house i thought for a short time one of those oil filled raditors would do as only a small bedroom, so if i put on for an hr it will take chill out of room and they stay warm for a little time after, that was my thinking anyway

Caporegime
Using smart TRVs on the radiators does only heat one room, that's why they're smart ;)
Maybe but aren’t they like £30 Still got to pump water around pipes etc and the boiler will be cycling a lot

Plus if you are on Go you have electric half the price price of gas for 4 hours where you can go mental with electric heaters

So roughly (at 52p) it is about right.

Its close with 10 years
But not for 5.

Agree about specific circumstances.
-unit rate could go up or down over that time
-House roof suitability
-geography in the uk

Of course. The huge spanner in the world comes if the government cap prices at 2k.

That's really going to make payback a long time. Your over 10 in that case.

I feel no battery isn't great for most people. Seems essential.

Like I said no its not right, I have almost £5.5k of battery costs and I ignored most of the benefit.
The ROI assumes no charging from the grid where as in reality the predicted pattern for my generation would allow some charging in spring and summer and full charging in winter.

But the problem is the modelling is complicated as its scenarios with so many potential variables.

At 52p (ex VAT?) its nigh on 7 years, real numbers made it 7.13 and I ignored the payment for units exported, and ANY battery benefit other than capturing my excess generation.

FWIW at 29p I calculated both battery and solar on their own had a roughly 7 year payback, assuming Octopus Go for battery charging, and 5p export per unit for excess solar which will be high with no battery.
When you have both you actually lower the return rate (increase ROI) for each since you cap the effectiveness of battery in particular (if you assume the benefit to the solar primarily), but overall they still add benefit marginally from having both.
Its difficult to do well and quick back of fag packet maths won't cut it.
I had to limit my scenarios and I used a tool I use at work (for investment decisions as part of my job)

Again "I feel no battery isn't great for most people. Seems essential." your looking at a certain type of person I assume, people like you?
A small/mid simple solar system works great for many people at home during the day (WFH, retired, housewife etc) who can use the majority of the power, washing, dishwasher, watching TV etc. whilst they are generating. No need to store and offset the power usage, use it when its generating.
Whats logical VERY much depends on your situation as I said
For many I suspect only a battery is logical, but its a higher risk approach, it relies on being able to get on and stay on a tariff with cheap units available to charge it.

With the pricing coming most combined systems will be closer to 3-4 year payback assuming the pricing remains and your on a Eco & type tariff.
South cost installs would be possibly even lower, especially if pure south facing, Scottish systems maybe higher.

Soldato
Can you not just turn every radiator to 0 in rooms you don't want to heat without having to buy smart TRV for every one? Or am I missing something special the smart TRV do?
yea that’s what I do. Don’t see the point in spending £30 + fitting when I can just turn off the radiator in the room…
I didn’t think there was any benefit to the smart ones beyond convenience.

Soldato
One is heating the whole house. The other just the room you are in

Read again the second line of the post you quoted ;)

tbh i pretty much only live in the one room when i come home from work as pc is in bedroom, so instead putting heating on for all of house i thought for a short time one of those oil filled raditors would do as only a small bedroom, so if i put on for an hr it will take chill out of room and they stay warm for a little time after, that was my thinking anyway

Fair enough, in that scenario it "might" be marginally cheaper, as long as you don't open the door and let all the warm air out :p

yea that’s what I do. Don’t see the point in spending £30 + fitting when I can just turn off the radiator in the room…

Yeah, this is also true.

Per kWh, gas is still less than 1/3 of the cost of electricity, so it's always going to be cheaper to provide the same amount of heat.

Soldato
Think of all the extra warmth you're going to produce by walking around the house a few times a day turning them all on and off, saving even more money on requiring less heating :cry:

Soldato
Can you not just turn every radiator to 0 in rooms you don't want to heat without having to buy smart TRV for every one? Or am I missing something special the smart TRV do?
Yes and no. It's mostly out of convenience.

That's a very manual setting. If you want to heat one room in the house on standard TRVs, you have to heat the whole house to get heat in that room unless you manually go to every other TRV and set them to 0 every time you want to heat it, and then go back later in the day and set back to the setting you had to make sure they're heated up later.

With a smart system, you can request heat for one room. The smart TRVs on all other radiators in the house then close automatically so only the room you requested heat for is the only one that heats up. You can then also schedule rooms at different temperatures, different times etc. It does make a decent energy saving, but certainly some of the cost does pay for the convenience.

Soldato

I use them and the neat bit is setting them to a target temp for each radiator, not something I could doing by moving around each room trying to feel what the temperature is! Although the savings are probably marginal.

Soldato
Why do you think you cant drink water from a tap?

You probably wouldn't want to drink hot water from a tanked system with dead rats and bird **** floating in it ;)

As others have already said, a combi boiler might be ok, although personally I'd still have concerns about possible chemical contamination. I assume Quooker etc. are designed to be food safe, whereas your standard combi boiler isn't, so the possibility of metal leaching into the water etc.

Caporegime
Like I said no its not right, I have almost £5.5k of battery costs and I ignored most of the benefit.
The ROI assumes no charging from the grid where as in reality the predicted pattern for my generation would allow some charging in spring and summer and full charging in winter.

But the problem is the modelling is complicated as its scenarios with so many potential variables.

At 52p (ex VAT?) its nigh on 7 years, real numbers made it 7.13 and I ignored the payment for units exported, and ANY battery benefit other than capturing my excess generation.

FWIW at 29p I calculated both battery and solar on their own had a roughly 7 year payback, assuming Octopus Go for battery charging, and 5p export per unit for excess solar which will be high with no battery.
When you have both you actually lower the return rate (increase ROI) for each since you cap the effectiveness of battery in particular (if you assume the benefit to the solar primarily), but overall they still add benefit marginally from having both.
Its difficult to do well and quick back of fag packet maths won't cut it.
I had to limit my scenarios and I used a tool I use at work (for investment decisions as part of my job)

Again "I feel no battery isn't great for most people. Seems essential." your looking at a certain type of person I assume, people like you?
A small/mid simple solar system works great for many people at home during the day (WFH, retired, housewife etc) who can use the majority of the power, washing, dishwasher, watching TV etc. whilst they are generating. No need to store and offset the power usage, use it when its generating.
Whats logical VERY much depends on your situation as I said
For many I suspect only a battery is logical, but its a higher risk approach, it relies on being able to get on and stay on a tariff with cheap units available to charge it.

With the pricing coming most combined systems will be closer to 3-4 year payback assuming the pricing remains and your on a Eco & type tariff.
South cost installs would be possibly even lower, especially if pure south facing, Scottish systems maybe higher.

Actually for us I do wonder if we don't need a battery.
We are both WFH and have no kids. I can (and do) put dishwasher, tumble, washing machine on at any point via the delay timers.

The big caveat for us is.

We are on a fixed 22p a unit charge until September 24.
This is getting close to our planned move time.

So we are technically the ideal candidate for just panels and no battery. But that energy fix And moving is the block.

But its all about the moving really. 5 years is not worth it for most. 10 is different. But not much in it

Soldato
Why do you think you cant drink water from a tap?
Because in houses with older plumbing you had cold and hot water storage tanks. Some cold water tanks were open and ended up with dead rats and birds in them, which then rot into the water you're drinking. Same for the hot water cylinders - they're filled from a header tank in the loft, some of which were open, and suffered the same issue.

More modern systems negate some of this, but it used to be the case that the cold tap in the kitchen was the only tap you could safely drink from.

Soldato
If they do cap it at 2000 and prices are 6k in 2023... It will be at 2k for the long term.
No more fixed price deals. Would customers ever switch again?

If there is going to be a cap added, I'd say it would be around here at this new one.

It's high enough to put people off being wasteful, but not high enough to make it totally unaffordable.

Targeted help could be given to those most in need somehow at the new cap, those who really couldn't afford it.

Back
Top Bottom