Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

the snag is lead times. my father in law after seeing my system has an install booked. he signed up for it in spring just gone... his install is sometime in October.

unless you pay a significant premium I doubt you will get one this year. mind you the solar part won't save you much once we get into October anyway until march.
his system is a lot more expensive than mine was but I won't lie it was amazing. 20x425w panels.iirc.on both sides of the roof. only 6.4kwh battery but they are retired and in all day so that may do them (I would have gone a bit .bigger myself but what ever). this was over 13k however Vs mine which is 8.25k Inc birdproofing (£500 the most expensive chicken wire I ever bought)

Its variable for sure
Mine was quoted on a few weeks ago and install date middle Nov, assuming DNO approval takes a while but they said it may move forwards if it comes through quickly

I contacted 4 installers, 2 didn't even reply
2 did, both visited, 2 quotes one 15k one 13k, i'm going with the 13k version (slightly lower panel count but bigger battery)

Soldato
my electric is half the price of gas

Do you not think that information would be pertinent to give at the start of the discussion, since for most people the opposite is true? :D

Neither do I but if the average bill was £1200 and I spent £800 and now the average bill will be £3600 then I would expect to spend £2400.

It's not quite as simple as that since the rates don't increase proportionally.

E.g. if you were a very light user, then your total would increase less, since the SC hasn't changed, but the unit rates have increased significantly. If you were a heavy user then the opposite would be true.

If you use disproportionally more gas than electric then your rates would increase more, since gas has increased by more than electric

Soldato
Soldato
Agile Octopus is suggesting it is capped at 35p/kWh. I can move to it but is that really correct?

Thats the older Agile tariff no longer available, its now 55p.

I posted about Agile early July on here when it was still available but only one person signed up, the second time I posted it had been removed.

However the 55p agile is better than all the fixed they offering, so if you want a fix on Octopus to save you January onwards its the best one, and daily rates might occasionally fall below the 52p SVR rate.

The 18 month graph shows how bad things are.

Soldato
How is the war in Ukraine causing us to have a 80% price hike,
Short version : Because a lot of our electricity generation comes from Gas Power Stations. Since the war in Ukraine has reduced the amount of gas being supplied to Europe (not us) then Europe (and the rest of the world) are competing for the remaining Gas supplies, including LNG, that we use a lot of. Short supply + high demand = high price = high cost of electricity generation.
how is COVID affecting prices now?
Global manufacturing and transportation lines are still ****** from Covid, again high demand + low supply of goods = rising costs.

Man of Honour
I know some don't like him but 'frankly irresponsible' is what Martin Lewis says of current Government action. I agree.

Hopefully the Don't Pay protect kicks up a gear. There is meant to be a demonstration in London tonight, wonder what the turn out will be.

Tbh, I cant see the Dont Pay idea achieving anything more than causing the individuals who do it a lot more problems

Soldato
Thats the older Agile tariff no longer available, its now 55p.

I posted about Agile early July on here when it was still available but only person signed up, the second time I posted it had been removed.

However the 55p agile is better than all the fixed they offering, so if you want a fix on Octopus to save you January onwards its the best one, and daily rates might occasionally fall below the 52p SVR rate.

The 18 month graph shows how bad things are.

I'm looking at/hoping to get onto Agile myself but I think I need the SMETS2 meter, and my SMETS1 only works with EDF.

my switch to Octopus is due to be done by tomorrow, but after that I think I can only actually switch to Agile if I have the SMETS2 in place, which means getting lucky enough to get them out before they increase the prices.

Not sure if I can do Agile export without Agile import, at least then I could do cap pricing for import and get paid better for export.

Associate
Nope!

Have a look at the tracker - it's still showing capped rates at 55p for electric and 16p for gas

Interesting. Seems a bit scary though.

I am a tiny bit confused, this is what I am paying now for elec and gas. Is there anyway to check the daily wholesale price before I sign up to that and will the electricity stay capped at 55p no matter what for a while?

xUGpxjA.png

Caporegime
Because I don't spend the average amount. The cap also isn't in pounds, so I think that's quite misleading. And your current tariff and all new energy quotes are based on kWh, not pounds.
The capped prices quoted are also average amounts. Electricity prices with the current cap vary from 32.14-51.62p/day SC and 27.09-29.63p/kWh depending on where you are in the country.

Back
Top Bottom