Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Sold my gaming pc and xbox until things improve. Cant afford run em. They'd just be paperweights this winter.
I'm currently considering the same. My machine only pulls 200-250W in-game too, so it's hardly a huge drain. But 4 hours a day makes £190/year on the new 52p/kWh price cap rate.

Soldato
That's why I said target some additional help at the people that need it the most.

I agree with a lot of what is said here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-no-referrals.18948056/page-605#post-35805191

People need to take some personal accountability as well. I don't want to be paying cap pricing either but something has to give.

I have a work colleague who is complaining about the new cap. He told me he runs 4 PC's that are on 24/7 doing different things. Huge disconnect between the reality of the cost and the desire to change.
I hear you but many of us have common sense and use what we need.

And to the guy running 4 pc 24 7. Is he running a server of some sort and is it part of his job /income?

Soldato
I hear you but many of us have common sense and use what we need.

And to the guy running 4 pc 24 7. Is he running a server of some sort and is it part of his job /income?

No the reasons he gave make no sense to me at all, we work in the same team no reason to be running servers.

he's running them because he wants to, but clearly there is a very high cost to having 4 PC's/servers running on your base load.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does anyone find it annoying that news outlets only report the increase in £ for the average household? I think knowing that it's going up from 28p/kWh to 52p/kWh far more useful and comparative.

Why is that more useful for you? Genuine question because I don't get any more information from a per unit cost than I do from an average cost. Its just as easy to relate that to my usage.

Soldato
Why is that more useful for you? Genuine question because I don't get any more information from a per unit cost than I do from an average cost. Its just as easy to relate that to my usage.

Because I don't spend the average amount. The cap also isn't in pounds, so I think that's quite misleading. And your current tariff and all new energy quotes are based on kWh, not pounds.

Soldato
Remind me the output of the rad, the pipes between boiler and rad and the most efficient way to run a boiler. And stick your ellipsis away

...that still doesn't change the fact that 2kWh of electric costs over 3 times what 2kWh of gas does...
...unless you are "losing" more than 2/3 of the heat from the boiler then gas will still be cheaper...

I put "losing" in quotes because the heat lost from the pipes is still going into your home, so it's not really lost, it's just not heating the room you happen to be in at the time.

Caporegime
Details isn’t it and depends on so much. my electric is half the price of gas

Plus a boiler running a single rad is only going to be 60% efficient at best if it’s kettling

Back
Top Bottom