Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We used around 6800kWh of electricity from April 2021 to March 2022. We have no gas supply, so air source heat pump for central heating and water heating needs.

We're on an economy 7 tariff and when we first moved in (April 2021) for the first year, we used approx 24% of electricity during the cheap night rate.

Since all this has kicked off and having a Smart Meter installed, we've changed habits slightly and now use 34% of total electricity in the cheaper rate period.

I managed to fix back in Feb 2022, so have been cushioned from recent price cap increases. Won't be so lucky when fixed rate ends in February 2023 as I'll be charged on the back of todays and the cap that will be announced in November (to take effect Jan 2023). :(

Think we're going to put the washing machine on a timer so it completes the wash cycle during off peak period. One of us will just get up at 6am and stick the clothes in the tumble dryer to take advantage of the cheaper rate for 2.5 hours until 07:30. Tumble dryer is an air source heat pump variant, so should help.

Other than that, it'll just be turning on the heating during the day in winter if and when its absolutely required.

Will there be a rush on used cars?
People getting rid of their finance car for something cheap?

Significant easy savings there.

Wondering in general if people will start offloading more high value gear?

Unfortunately pets are starting to be got rid of too.

And those you link definitely monitor energy use as there is no mention of it that I can see.
Yeah they do.
You just have to go into the smart life app.

Most of them have it even if they don't say it as they are made in the same place just rebranded.
On the plugs the model is LSPA7.

The Raspberry Pi is my make shift "server" with hard drives attached to it that gets turned of (through Alexa) when not in use. Ive surprised how little electr the plugs actually record I use I thought it was way more.

Don’t you have an you have an EV though, that’s probably 2000-3000kwh a year.

9000kwh per year might not be outrageous if you have standard electric heating or do big miles in an EV. If not then yeh, you are probably in weed grow territory.

Drink cold drinks or only boil the kettle when you all want one.
I do have Tesla but almost exclusively charge on public chargers as they are currently still free in my Local authority! (ridiculous situation i know but taking advantage still)

You can blame all of the governments, but some, like ours are worse than most.

Lack of investment in nuclear and renewables, not setting up a nationalised energy supplier, allowing private companies to profiteer, lack of subsidies for low earners.

Italy have invested £42,000,000,000 into subsidising costs, energy tax breaks for business and grants for low earners.

France - £38,000,000,000

Germany - £51,000,000,000

Norway have capped the maximum a household will pay, footing 80% of anything over that.
Indeed, the government are to blame for their lack of action. They wait to see the full scale of the crisis before acting, only by then it's out of control and is too late just as with the pandemic.

Is it worth boiling a full kettle once in the morning and storing the water in a flask? Someone do the maths!
Seeing this question just made me wonder if this makes even more sense if you're on Economy7, boiling a full kettle just before the cheap night rate ends at 0730 BST... Especially if you are a caffeine addict like me that can easily have a coffee on home days almost once an hour until around 1700!:eek:

Will there be a rush on used cars?
People getting rid of their finance car for something cheap?

Significant easy savings there.

Wondering in general if people will start offloading more high value gear?

Unfortunately pets are starting to be got rid of too.
Depending on the type of finance on the car it may not be so easy.

I recommend getting a heated electric throw for work and electric blanket for your bed.

Way cheaper to run than heating the whole house, especially if working at home.

Just picked up a couple of heated throws for my other half and 10 year old, electric blanket might be a bit more difficult as we have an Ikea kingsize bed which is 10cm wider than a standard UK one (160cm vs 150cm) and there don't appear to be any which fit :s

me too, 16p electric, 2.76 for gas - ends 31st dec.

i'm looking at what? 300% more for elec and 500/600% for gas minimum.

Its going to be a very cold january.

I fixed my gas.in October last year. at the time I was unsure paying 1p more than standard variable but now with 4.9pkwh and 25p SC fixed till October 2023. I am thinking my lucky stars.

I am safe with my electricity as well till end of april next year so long as octopus don't go belly up

next autumn (2023) is when the brownstuff hits the fan in my household but I am still hoping things get under control before then.

just seen this one slightly lower electric,looking around 35% higher elec than possible cap of arpund 50p kwh
2022-08-26-12-40-07-Choose-your-tariff.png

That's still 12.5p worse on electric and 3.9p worse on gas than the tracker, and has no chance of dropping lower

"we have introduced a maximum cap on Tracker prices at 55p / kWh of electricity and 16p / kWh for gas"

Edit: If you don't have smart meters, then ignore this as you need one for both Tracker and Agile

Possibly some extra help next month

I'd take that article with an ocean's worth of salt considering the second paragraph starts with the sentence: "His intervention came just hours after energy regulator Ofgem announced the price cap for average annual energy bills would rise to £6,608 from October."

Either that or we're even more ****** than we all thought :p

Back
Top Bottom