Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Is anyone planning to make any serious lifestyle changes to combat the rising prices?

We use about 423kWh of electric a month due to servers and a multitude of devices. At the moment we'd rather just pay more than make lifestyle changes.

Yup. I've sold my own car as it was costing over £1000 a year just to keep it on the road (tax/ins/mot/servicing), not including fuel costs. Now I'm just a named driver on my step Dads car (they live with me as I'm a carer for my Mom)

I've switched my mobile to a cheap sim only deal and looking to save on broadband deal come renewal time. Also considering stopping a work sharesave scheme I do which would free up another £100 a month.

I'm now also more careful with what I have switched on/using at any one time. Cutting back on switching PC on for gaming, especially if the game can be played on the Xbox at a much lower power useage compared to my PC.

I'm also going to try and lower the thermostat for the central heating by a degree or 2 in the winter, but will have to see how that fares as it could cause health issues with Mom/Step Dad.

Is anyone planning to make any serious lifestyle changes to combat the rising prices?

We use about 423kWh of electric a month due to servers and a multitude of devices. At the moment we'd rather just pay more than make lifestyle changes.
All I did was turn off PC when going bed or out somewhere (normal shutdown or hibernate depending whats running), keep Xbox unplugged as its standby mode is bugged, turn off unused lights, and enabled spindown on my NAS drives.

I feel anything more then that is invading on my lifestyle too much and excessive. I might get an air fryer though.

Yup. I've sold my own car as it was costing over £1000 a year just to keep it on the road (tax/ins/mot/servicing), not including fuel costs. Now I'm just a named driver on my step Dads car (they live with me as I'm a carer for my Mom)

I've switched my mobile to a cheap sim only deal and looking to save on broadband deal come renewal time. Also considering stopping a work sharesave scheme I do which would free up another £100 a month.

I'm now also more careful with what I have switched on/using at any one time. Cutting back on switching PC on for gaming, especially if the game can be played on the Xbox at a much lower power useage compared to my PC.

I'm also going to try and lower the thermostat for the central heating by a degree or 2 in the winter, but will have to see how that fares as it could cause health issues with Mom/Step Dad.
That's worrying if people like you have to start thinking of lowering temperature of your thermostat

How can i toast my bread? lol

Invest in solar energy with a large magnifying glass focus the suns rays should have toasted all over in oh, an hour or two

Anything good for cold hands? Sitting working at home at the computer that's what gets really cold and stiff.
Fingerless gloves aren't enough.

Warm your hands over the new 4xxx gfx cards should be more than enough heat...

no, if I can't pay they can come and take me to jail along with the millions of others that won't be able to pay either. I hope Borris has got a super prison built somewhere ready to house several million non utility paying inmates.

I go to work so i can have a life. existence is not a life, Truss, Johnson, Mogg and the rest of those out of touch shills can kiss my entire arse
You won't go to jail but eventually you will end up on a prepayment meter at higher rates plus an extra amount for your debt.

You won't go to jail but eventually you will end up on a prepayment meter at higher rates plus an extra amount for your debt.
Maybe, maybe not.

If only 10,000 people stop paying, more likely personal impacts down the line.
If 100,000 people stop paying?
If 1 million people stop paying?
What if 10 million stop paying? Are they going to take everyone to court, install 10 million pre-payment meters? If it gets to that stage (cut offs) then all those people may as well bypass their meter entirely. Its anarchy level stuff. They going to jail everyone?

We're making plenty of changes so that we don't have to make lifestyle changes.
I was fortunate (didn't feel it at the time) to be with a supplier who went bust last September, whilst I was being switched to a new provider I took a bit more interest than usual to what was going on (didn't quite expect it to get this bad mind). Insulated everywhere, adjustments to times and temperatures on the heating controls, log burner will be going in next month and my brother is a gardener/grounds keeper so I've been out with him on several tree felling jobs over the last year so I've a big log pile and there's more to come. We had solar installed when we moved in in 2018 and we've got better as time's gone on at utilising the power we generate. Utilising smart plugs to turn off equipment that doesn't need to be left on. Lowering heating in unused rooms and we might look at electric blankets with smart plugs in the depths of winter. I'm also on the look out for a portable air-conditioner with heat function to use on brighter days in the winter and make use of the solar panels for some free heating.
Like you I can afford the rises, doesn't mean I want to though :)

Serious changes? no. But I'm good at keeping an eye on my costs.

I've already changed some things about after the April price increases, and may adjust some others as I go, but one of the biggest changes I guess is addition of solar into my setup.

With that I should be less worried about usage, if not for that I may have looked at cutting some other things.

Oh I cut some other stuff I didn't really need, I got rid of Amazon Prime, Netflix sub, I switched to a cheaper SIMO plan for phone etc. There are sometimes areas you can cut not related to energy.

Maybe, maybe not.

If only 10,000 people stop paying, more likely personal impacts down the line.
If 100,000 people stop paying?
If 1 million people stop paying?
What if 10 million stop paying? Are they going to take everyone to court, install 10 million pre-payment meters? If it gets to that stage (cut offs) then all those people may as well bypass their meter entirely. Its anarchy level stuff. They going to jail everyone? vast
More likely the vast majority will carry on paying even if it's a struggle. Those that genuinely can't pay the whole amount will have that discussion with their provider rather than stop paying.

More likely the vast majority will carry on paying even if it's a struggle. Those that genuinely can't pay the whole amount will have that discussion with their provider rather than stop paying.
Yes, unless serious momentum starts occuring. The Don't Pay campaign logo was shown on Newsnight last night, for example, in their media intro to a discussion piece.

Yes, unless serious momentum starts occuring. The Don't Pay campaign logo was shown on Newsnight last night, for example, in their media intro to a discussion piece.
Interesting that Martin didnt take the chance to talk people out of joining, when asked about it on ITV he said the risks individually but kind of like a disclaimer and made a comment he doesnt know what will happen if done as part of a movement. Was very clever, as he wouldnt want to be telling people to join the movement, but he avoided telling people to leave it.

Back
Top Bottom