Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

On energy as with the pandemic I want them to act when there is a problem to nip it in the bud rather than playing a strange game of wait and see and hoping the problem disappears by itself. That's not too much to ask, surely?

This problem (not the war, covid or brexit) but this energy crunch has been predicted for 20 years or more. And the can has been kicked down the road for that long. Both parties have to shoulder the blame but to be fair, moreso the Tories.

They could have investigated Russian interference but they didn't want to because of their links to Russian oligarchs. They also could have given us a much softer Brexit. After all, they promised us full access to the single market.

On energy as with the pandemic I want them to act when there is a problem to nip it in the bud rather than playing a strange game of wait and see and hoping the problem disappears by itself. That's not too much to ask, surely?
Full access would mean not leaving. Who knows what will happen. There’s a lot of talk of potentially returning. I think EU is going to suffer a lot more from the gas issues with Russia so probably good to stay out for a while as they will be screaming for money from all the members.

For nipping it in the bud, you mean capping at a lower amount or providing more to households to offset the costs? It’s a hard balance for them but certainly more help is needed than has been given already.

This problem (not the war, covid or brexit) but this energy crunch has been predicted for 20 years or more. And the can has been kicked down the road for that long. Both parties have to shoulder the blame but to be fair, moreso the Tories.
Yes, we have all been poor at tackling the climate crisis but some have been much poorer than others. Remember it was Cameron who got rid of the 'green crap' where millions of homes were being insulated a year until he throttled it, removed solar panel subsidies and even though they say they support nuclear power their record on it has been a travesty.

I agree, if we don’t continue to push through to energy and fuel sources other than gas, petrol/diesel etc. we will have worse problems coming. The sooner we switch over to renewables/nuclear the better.

Full access would mean not leaving. Who knows what will happen. There’s a lot of talk of potentially returning. I think EU is going to suffer a lot more from the gas issues with Russia so probably good to stay out for a while as they will be screaming for money from all the members.

For nipping it in the bud, you mean capping at a lower amount or providing more to households to offset the costs? It’s a hard balance for them but certainly more help is needed than has been given already.
On the first point, they promised otherwise. Were they lying? ;) Anyway you can leave the EU politically but remain in the customs union and single market, that is a type of Brexit. Gas is a global market and we are disproportionately reliant on it; have poorly insulated homes and very little gas storage capacity, so we will suffer massively anyway in addition to the economic hit from Brexit.

I mean acting to reassure people and mitigate the effects before the price cap went up again (all our European neighbours acted months ago and this has been effective in the mitigating rising bills, ours have gone up the most by comparison).

On the first point, they promised otherwise. Were they lying? ;) Anyway you can leave the EU politically but remain in the customs union and single market, that is a type of Brexit. Gas is a global market and we are disproportionately reliant on it so we will suffer massively anyway in addition to the economic hit from Brexit.

I mean acting to reassure people and mitigate the effects before the price cap went up again (all our European neighbours acted months ago and this has been effective in the mitigating rising bills, ours have gone up the most by comparison).
Germany and other countries have had much higher rises and I think through this winter it will be far worse for the EU. The risk of the supply being cut off from the UK into Europe is also there. I think it will be a tough few months for all.

Germany and other countries have had much higher rises and I think through this winter it will be far worse for the EU. The risk of the supply being cut off from the UK into Europe is also there. I think it will be a tough few months for all.
That's not true according to James O'Brien and this:

However, you are right this may change when Russia cuts off the gas, but we are disproportionately vulnerable to the global gas price for the reasons I outlined.

That's not true according to James O'Brien and this:

However, you are right this may change when Russia cuts off the gas, but we are disproportionately vulnerable to the global gas price for the reasons I outlined.
Germany and Eastern Europe currently have it far worse.

Definitely agree we are very vulnerable. At least this is being made really obvious now. Humans by their nature are very reactionary to things. We don’t tend to care about things until they become a problem. This is true now and will be true for the next unforeseen crisis.

Definitely agree we are very vulnerable. At least this is being made really obvious now. Humans by their nature are very reactionary to things. We don’t tend to care about things until they become a problem. This is true now and will be true for the next unforeseen crisis.
They have same problem as us, relying too much on imports instead of own local sourced supply.

Can you back this up? Our energy bills are rising more and faster as far as I can tell.

They have same problem as us, relying too much on imports instead of own local sourced supply.
Problem is the local sourced supply is priced on a global market. The UK is almost self sufficient on gas, especially since the increase in production over the last few months. Best thing is to switch away from energy that relies on fuels that are traded as a commodity. Technically nuclear fuel is but we own the most of any country of plutonium so we are very self sufficient on this.

Back
Top Bottom