Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It does seem quite high. Even the October cap of £3549 suggests a daily usage of 18-19kWh if it’s electric only, more if you start factoring gas into that. I use about a third of that in my house at the moment, understandably that will go up a bit more in the winter but definitely not by much.

You will typically use a lot more gas. But it’s normal 3x-4x cheeper.

The cap references typical households with average consumption over the course of a year. This means a 2-3 bedroom property using 12,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of gas and 2,900 kWh of electricity per annum.

I don't get how they think 8kwh per day is average usage. people must not be at home and use any appliances.
Currently using between 2 and 4kwh per day.....2 people with me working from home. Now admittedly that is with solar panels but our usual usage when there isn't enough sun to work the solar, is usually 8kwh per day, if I was working in an office that would actually be lower. Most of the units are during 'meal time' when the oven and stuff is on. Heating/hot water is via oil, that's pretty much doubled in cost since last refill (timer/off unless needed). And no we're not 'rationing' electric usage, we just use what we need type of thing.... the price increases still aren't exactly welcome.

The Ofgen average is probably a little low, not by much though, with it likely being skewed due to solar panel users being lumped into the calculations. Think our yearly usage is around 1650units which is average of 4.5kwh per day.

I'm more shocked when I see people with 20-25kwh usage in a day....that just seems excessively high to me unless they're purely electric for everything including heating...also makes me question why they haven't looked into solar to offset the costs (it's even worse if they already have solar....)

Currently using between 2 and 4kwh per day.....2 people with me working from home. Now admittedly that is with solar panels but our usual usage when there isn't enough sun to work the solar, is usually 8kwh per day, if I was working in an office that would actually be lower. Most of the units are during 'meal time' when the oven and stuff is on. Heating/hot water is via oil, that's pretty much doubled in cost since last refill (timer/off unless needed). And no we're not 'rationing' electric usage, we just use what we need type of thing.... the price increases still aren't exactly welcome.

The Ofgen average is probably a little low, not by much though, with it likely being skewed due to solar panel users being lumped into the calculations. Think our yearly usage is around 1650units which is average of 4.5kwh per day.

I'm more shocked when I see people with 20-25kwh usage in a day....that just seems excessively high to me unless they're purely electric for everything including heating...also makes me question why they haven't looked into solar to offset the costs (it's even worse if they already have solar....)
Its amazing to think most people don't know or realise just how much electric they do use, they get a custom to paying money and that's that. I think my last months bill was £70 and my gas side of it was more day charges than actual gas... Might be rather different soon..

I'm very lucky to have solar and I could quite easily go through 2 to 3kW an hour 24/7 if I wanted to; bit of mining or GPU folding and CPU crunching, oven on or the plasma TV on and so on, usage can just fly up with very little difficulty. When crunching on my 5950X + 3090, I can see from the power plug that near 700w is being pulled from the socket. I can tone it down on the 3090 but I've already dropped the CPU usage as I don't want it over 50C when its constantly under a 100% load, I'd like my kit to last....
Then I look at my Threadripper build, 400w just from CPU crunching... Let alone the other 4 to 6 systems I turn on if the sun is good (thank god solar) Today I made about 22kW, I don't believe I used more than 4 units otherwise from 7am till about 10:30pm when I checked (I take readings twice a day for reference and just to see what I'm using since prices have gone nuts. Plus what's a few MBs on a couple of pictures these days with storage??)

My mate in the US is currently paying 8 cents a kW with no standing charge... Unbelievable.

The cap is based on a daily average of 7.95 kW-h and 32.88 kW-h of gas.

If you electric only that will be higher, but the cap isn't based on electric only users. Basicly they are even more shafted if they don't have a good ground souced heat pump and good insulation.
This does seem really high still. Just a surprise.

My mate in the US is currently paying 8 cents a kW with no standing charge... Unbelievable.
The 'joys' of huge oil/gas fields, a ready supply of hydro electric (dams), eco friendly options (solar/wind), coal and nuclear power stations.... a 'diverse' power supply chain and low taxation of energy, the complete opposite of UK, and EU to be fair.

The 'joys' of huge oil/gas fields, a ready supply of hydro electric (dams), eco friendly options (solar/wind), coal and nuclear power stations.... a 'diverse' power supply chain and low taxation of energy, the complete opposite of UK, and EU to be fair.

It depends where in the U.S you are, in some states it's very cheap - like $0.08 per kWh, but there are some US states where it's more expensive and where it's taxed more, like in California where it's $0.2 per kWh

In Australia, if you are on the right type of plan the rate you pay can be negative at certain times of the day (yes, they pay you to use more electricity)

Talk of VAT cut from Truss now, saying there isn't enough time to investigate more specific options and inact that more targeted approach. Vile women, honesty.

Anyway, seems like this will save the average household £1,300, not exactly jumping for joy, I'm sure when people have bills 3x, 4x..this figure they'll suddenly be able to afford it because of Truss generosity.

Talk of VAT cut from Truss now, saying there isn't enough time to investigate more specific options and inact that more targeted approach. Vile women, honesty.

Anyway, seems like this will save the average household £1,300, not exactly jumping for joy, I'm sure when people have bills 3x, 4x..this figure they'll suddenly be able to afford it because of Truss generosity.

Itll save much less than that?

Talk of VAT cut from Truss now, saying there isn't enough time to investigate more specific options and inact that more targeted approach.
If VAT is cut it'll be easier than last time, but it'll still cost businesses a lot of money.

I'll be waiting for the panicked calls from companies who decided to hard-code the VAT rate into their software systems because "it's a once in a lifetime change" :D

If VAT is cut it'll be easier than last time, but it'll still cost businesses a lot of money.

I'll be waiting for the panicked calls from companies who decided to hard-code the VAT rate into their software systems because "it's a once in a lifetime change" :D
VAT cut isn’t going to help businesses much though when it comes to energy prices.

And the implementation to change VAT rates is a bit of a PITA. I remember we had 17.5% then 15% and then back up to 17.5%/20%

Truss VAT How many people are still buying take-away food, white goods, clothing say, to benefit from a VAT cut -... would help broadband.

maybe she the female incarnation of Trump - the divisive spile reminds me of something as May would say.

Not everyone has the capital or suitable roof space.

Back
Top Bottom