Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Not UK flats as they are really small with no spare space, everything done to keep the developer in huge profits. No outside space balcony due to some obscure law by some Tory minister in the 50`s

Again its Tory MP and donors on the boards of housing stock to keep the plebs down and pay for it through the nose at the same time.
Really depends on the flat.

I was a 1-bed new build that had terrible insulation and electric only heating, had massive condensation issues even when using the extractor fan (bathroom had no external window) and keeping the window vents open, but it would be ice cold.

Then I moved in to a new build 2-bed flat with my wife, and we honestly NEVER turned the heating on over 4 years, our windows would actually be wide open in winter (though it was hell during summer months).

My average daily electricity usage is around 20kWh. While we were on holiday the idle consumption of the house was 7kWh per day. I think I need to go around and see what's using so much.
Currently we only use 7-8kWh a day and we aren't on holiday.
You must be leaving lots of stuff on.

10BN for france to buy the rest of EDF - seems like a nobrainer they can then charge what they want ... the elizabeth line costs 15bn , like the olympics did

Currently we only use 7-8kWh a day and we aren't on holiday.
You must be leaving lots of stuff on.
When on holiday. These things need to be on:
. Fridges and Freezers
. Security alarms
. Sky/VM box if got things on record.

Everything else can be switched off. I’m even turning off the oven, microwave and alarm clock to see if that makes a difference

Yeah the increase is lower because the French gov has spent BILLIONS in taxpayers money to artificially keep it low. Who do you think will end up paying for the BILLIONS spent?
Who's paying for the ridiculously high energy prices here?

Better to pay it off as a national debt over the next decade or so rather than just dumping it on the individual and saying tough luck.

. Fridges and Freezers
. Security alarms

Everything else can be switched off. I’m even turning off the oven, microwave and alarm clock to see if that makes a difference
Yes we are doing the same with cooker microwave etc,
Sky q box is supposed to use a lot for what it is so we are actually turning that off at night.
Basically it's just fridge freezer and router left on at night.
We are trying to be careful and currently we are looking at only using 200kWh in August compared to 315 last August.
Its only two of us though so that helps.

My average daily electricity usage is around 20kWh. While we were on holiday the idle consumption of the house was 7kWh per day. I think I need to go around and see what's using so much.

I'm not judging but I'm curious what eats up 20kWh? The most powerful thing in my house is the heated shower, dependant on water temperatures it can range from 5 - 12kW to the coldest part of winter. Even two computers it's about 400 - 500w usage. At night/23 - 00 it falls back to 300-400w-ish if one computer is still on, mostly. Usually once everything else is off bar some appliances, it can be as low as 250w but I cannot get any lower without unplugging stuff that is needed. One big fridge/freezer. Small fridge and small freezer that was always kept as backups. Already lost a freezer with stuff in it back in March/April 2020. Heating, CCTV, a few Sky Boxes, Network equipment. Extractor fans is usually 80w each or so from the bathrooms as well as the halogen spotlights and when the oil pump/boiler kicks in to heat the water can be a few hundred watt. I aint unplugging stuff to put back in a few hours later or so.

. Fridges and Freezers
. Security alarms
Probably the sky/vm box, sure I read somewhere they're pretty heavy on the energy usage. The fridges and freezers, unless really poor energy rating should be fairly low for most of the day, same with the alarm really.

Ran some numbers based on my 2021 usage and at the rate I was on that year I would have been around £1026 all in and based on the same usage I will be £3924 based on the figures BG have listed for the new cap.

Whoever gave the figure of multiplying my current DD by 1.8 got it pretty spot on so by January I had read to multiply by 1.2 which will bring me up to £4709 nearly £400pm.

3 bed mid terrace house with just the 2 of us so should really be a below average household.

Probably the sky/vm box, sure I read somewhere they're pretty heavy on the energy usage. The fridges and freezers, unless really poor energy rating should be fairly low for most of the day, same with the alarm really.

Set top boxes aren't that much, maybe 40 - 60w during operation. 5 - 10w in standby? The TV will be more than a top box.

Back
Top Bottom