Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

gov wouldn't want people "off grid", not unless they can tax you as a generator rather than consumer or something

Solar won't get you off grid anyway, you'd need a field full of panels in December for example! :D

I exaggerate a bit, but a fairly standard south facing 4KW system would not generate enough on the darkest winter days to cover all of your usage, and then we have to remember it's not gas, it's just the electric part.

solar alone isn't a panacea
... so the big business agreements have wind power in their portfolio to cover the other 3 months

Yes we just need a lot more generation full stop.

I'd really like to see some sort of proper plan for what can come online and when, everyone keeps talking about high bills but I see very little in the way of talking about solving the underlying issue.

Hydro, the UK has tons of water. Why wind, thats not reliable either. Surely the most reliable known scheduled source of power has to be tidal, we're surrounded by it and we have the largest tidal range estuary in the world. Its surreal how we ignore this home advantage lol
Offshore wind

Yes we just need a lot more generation full stop.

I'd really like to see some sort of proper plan for what can come online and when, everyone keeps talking about high bills but I see very little in the way of talking about solving the underlying issue.

Maybe there isn't one this time. At least not from our politicians. Politicians would rather us sink rather than bringing somebody really competent outside that will show them up for how bad they truly are.

So is this review scaremongering or is it likely to be accurate ?

£1.17 per kwh for electricity, how the hell are people expected to afford this ?
Our energy bill will be £1500 a month!!
At this stage it's unfortunately as good a prediction as any.

Just found this https://electricityinfo.org/real-time-british-electricity-supply/

It says now we are using 61.4% gas 60% over 24 hours.

So infact we are completely ***** it seems.

Says 40% is gas, how come its 60%?

Currently 70%. There isn't much else when it's dark, the wind isn't blowing much and there's limited nuclear.

The last month has averaged 54.2% gas generation.

We are getting a taste of what fighting our peers (other countries) is like.
Few resources to be fought between same group.

It is unsustainable. If prices don't come down in 2 or 3 years I think we are done. Government can provide help for a year or 2. But not really any longer.

Society is about to change and it will probably come with a huge death toll.

Energy is pretty much the foundation of our society. Will make the 2008 crisis look like a walk in the park.

The amount of job losses is going to rapidly climb in 2023.

2023 is going to be the worst year of most of our lives if government carry on as it stands today

Said it a few posts ago. People will want lizz truss dead if their family start dying because of lack of help

At this stage it's unfortunately as good a prediction as any.

Currently 70%. There isn't much else when it's dark, the wind isn't blowing much and there's limited nuclear.

The last month has averaged 54.2% gas generation.

Thats what i mean, if you google fuel mixes it says its 40% or so, but we are using more and more gas recently.

We need to reduce comsumption massively, looking at that, this is the absolute priority.

So i guess rolling blackouts, but planned ones etc.

£1.17 per kwh for electricity, how the hell are people expected to afford this ?

Commercial rates have already hit those levels.

Thats what i mean, if you google fuel mixes it says its 40% or so, but we are using more and more gas recently.

We need to reduce comsumption massively, looking at that, this is the absolute priority.

So i guess rolling blackouts, but planned ones etc.
Planned blackouts are part of the planning for a worst case scenario.

Though maybe when it starts hitting home it will change, I'm a bit puzzled why there isn't mass rioting at the scale of these electricity and other cost of living increases - if this had happened when I was a kid they'd have ransacked number 10 by now.

I took his advice in June not to fix because this August’s price cap was of “high confidence” of being substantially less than what it ended up being.

Energy companies must be extremely glad of Martin Lewis, he’s saving them billions.
Think you mis-read the information. The ‘high confidence ‘ point was that it wasn’t going to be any lower.
it’s the same with the expected Jan and April 23 prices now.

The wholesale gas price just keeps going up - It’s relentless !!

We are currently at a point where every week it’s up by 100p+ per therm.
Last week 700p per therm was a ‘shocking new high‘ - this week it’s over 850p per therm :eek:

A few years ago 350p per therm was a rare peak rate on a single day in Winter, now the new normal is over double this.

52317472822_1736d4f199_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom