Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Planned blackouts are part of the planning for a worst case scenario.

I dont believe that is the worse case scenario, the much worse scenario is prices being £1.

If somehow demand can support those prices, then demand must be artificially lowered.

Already at current prices, we should see a drop in demand, and, come October, the demand drop should be in the double digits.

However the government will print money to give to people to pay these prices, inflation will be double digit average for this decade.

Think you mis-read the information. The ‘high confidence ‘ point was that it wasn’t going to be any lower.
it’s the same with the expected Jan and April 23 prices now.

Doesn’t saying about it only being the minimum increase, just the prediction based on their data source at Cornwall Insight.

I'm really confused. Considering we've known about climate change since the 1980s, and Putin being not all he's made out to be since the early 2000s, how come we don't have more solar farms and nuclear power plants? and why hasn't the building regs changed to mandate all newbuilds have solar panels? We've just had one hell of a summer!

There's been plenty of money to spend. Maybe it's local councils refusing the plans as they don't want them building near their towns and villages?

I guess at least this is a taste of things to come.

I'm really confused. Considering we've known about climate change since the 1980s, and Putin being not all he's made out to be since the early 2000s, how come we don't have more solar farms and nuclear power plants? and why hasn't the building regs changed to mandate all newbuilds have solar panels? We've just had one hell of a summer!

There's been plenty of money to spend. Maybe it's local councils refusing the plans as they don't want them building near their towns and villages?

Because successive governments like to kick the can down the road. Serving is a popularity contest these days and as a party why spend all your budget on something you'll never see

System is broke and it seriously needs fixing. This could be the start of that but won't hold my breath

Because successive governments like to kick the can down the road. Serving is a popularity contest these days and as a party why spend all your budget on something you'll never see

System is broke and it seriously needs fixing. This could be the start of that but won't hold my breath

If true, my future grandchildren are dead already then.

Seems Scottish Power are getting edgey.
Thanks for choosing to pay by Direct Debit. Please be aware that from now on, if we’re unable to collect your payment on the date it’s due, we may apply a £5 administration fee as per our T&Cs.

Nimbyism

Oh joy, as expected our OFTM fix is ending in October and we just had the the email from them offering to fix a new deal.

Electric (9699kwh) standard £2944 p.a fixed £7353 p.a

Gas (10711) standard £900 p.a fixed £2174 p.a

Like Labrat I really regret listening to Martin Lewis earlier on but even then changing to a £300+ tariff so early on in the year would have hurt. It was a no win. Waiting meant at least I could clear some some outstanding debt for unexpected thing in the new year.

No capitalism is at fault. It doesn’t matter if we had more solar farms, off shore wind farms and nuclear power plants. It would all be owned by private corporations and would still be sold on the open market. The market price needs addressing immediately, we need the wholesale market price to be frozen for the foreseeable.

No capitalism is at fault. It doesn’t matter if we had more solar farms, off shore wind farms and nuclear power plants. It would all be owned by private corporations and would still be sold on the open market. The market price needs addressing immediately, we need the wholesale market price to be frozen for the foreseeable.
Yeah correct, it would still mostly all be sold at open market prices. UK Government could probably make it law something close to energy produced in the UK cannot be sold above cost of production + some incentive to produce but they're not going to do that.

Yea this is part of it, wind farms solar farms etc are built using private investment, it's just begging for trouble.

Half of me thinks, if all this money is spend on solar etc, and demand is exceeded and energy prices go down, it will take longer for these companies to get a return on their investment, and rich people don't get their money back as fast.

Yea this is part of it, wind farms solar farms etc are built using private investment, it's just begging for trouble.

Half of me thinks, if all this money is spend on solar etc, and demand is exceeded and energy prices go down, it will take longer for these companies to get a return on their investment, and rich people don't get their money back as fast.
They made those investments knowing the payback period, nobody invested thinking prices would spike 3-400%.

It’s just needs all the major governments around the World to sit around a table and realise that this is bad for each of their respective countries. They have the power to do something about the wholesale price and they could freeze it if they wanted. Letting it continue as it is is going to place at least Europe into a recession. They must realise that, that can be good for all their cronies bottom lines either. Something needs to done to address spiralling prices, hand outs and band aids are extremely short term and will not address the route issues.

Solar panels, just like wind power, and especially in mass deployments cause more problems than they solve. Intermittent, cause problems with load balancing on power grids, no feasible way to currently store anything like enough energy in batteries or similair in most locales on the earth to cover peaks and troughs of supply and demand and very dubious ROI's in the areas of the earth further from the equator.

Back
Top Bottom