Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Ok, something really strange happened. The figures for Friday have just come in and my usage nosedived to 13Kwh for that day, which was what i was expecting to see for Thursday. I'm wondering if EDF are being sneaky and have this sort of 24hr delay on how they register usage, the meter might be correct but they might be using Thursday's figures as Fridays.

Either way, that was just lowering the immersion heater setting to 50C (it was 65C previously). Which since Saturday I've turned it off completely, so I don't expeect those figures in until Sunday (which i won't know until Tuesday/Wednesday)

Out of curiousity I just looked up the official power consumption of our 2009 LG 32LH3000 tv, which still works absolutely fine... 150W. Ours gets used a fair bit for viewing Firestick stuff, if I'm on the pc.

Looks like modern 4k models are something like ~50% less.

Our 2019 4k 65” LG OLED C9 uses about 140w in use and 0.5w in standby

Demonstrably not true.

Even excluding potential blackouts are you seriously suggesting soaring gas and electric prices won't drive down consumption therefore helping bring the supply closer to the demand?
So if your poor you go cold if your wealthy sod it we can still burn as much as we want. Come on in other countries the governments have set policy to reduce consumption, here we just let capitalism freeze the poor to death.

It’s really not that hard. We have a supply that means that you get x amount of kWh and that’s it, but you can still keep warm and you still have an economy and jobs to go too, but you have to make some sacrifices.

Depends where in the chain the wholesale price is frozen / reduced.

Freeze it at a national level and the countries debt builds up covering the cost.

Freeze it at the energy supplier (Shell, BP etc) then they still make a profit but not at the obscene levels we are seeing at the moment. Supply may need to be restricted though to meet worldwide demand.

It's just how on earth do you do the latter

It helps a lot when you undertand that the big increases in profits for companies like shell a BP are more the result of and not the cause of the problem.

The main constraints on supply come from state cartels like OPEC and state actions like certain countries invading others and being sanctioned by other countries as a result.

It helps a lot when you undertand that the big increases in profits for companies like shell a BP are more the result of and not the cause of the problem.

The main constraints on supply come from state cartels like OPEC and state actions like certain countries invading others and being sanctioned by other countries as a result.
Don’t care who’s fault it is. They make enough money as it is. Why aren’t they being asked to make some sacrifices? You know like only make $5 billion profit a quarter rather than $15 billion. Why do we have sections of the population self lobbying for these ridiculously wealthy private corporations? Lobby for your fellow man, your neighbour, your grandparents and kids.

Don’t care who’s fault it is. They make enough money as it is. Why aren’t they being asked to make some sacrifices? You know like only make $5 billion profit a quarter rather than $15 billion.

Because the actual problem isn't *caused* by the price of electricity and gas but rather the ability to supply enough of it. The price is just a result of the underlying problem not the cause.

Again go study what happens when a state or organisation tries to fix the price of a commodity at a value that doesn't reflect reality.

Either way, that was just lowering the immersion heater setting to 50C (it was 65C previously). Which since Saturday I've turned it off completely, so I don't expeect those figures in until Sunday (which i won't know until Tuesday/Wednesday)

Immersion should be set above 60c to kill legionella bacteria in the tank.

When you can't pay or heat your home what do think the masses will do? Sit at home freezing? I am not so sure, I think they will be in the streets demanding answers

Because the actual problem isn't *caused* by the price of electricity and gas but rather the ability to supply enough of it. The price is just a result of the underlying problem not the cause.

Again go study what happens when a state or organisation tries to fix the price of a commodity at a value that doesn't reflect reality.
The actual problem may not be caused by the price of electricity but the effects are. A shed load of debt all being hoovered up by energy companies. Economy’s plunged into recession just to pay over inflated prices. Supply will remain the same though but these companies, investors and shareholders will get very wealthy off the back of people loosing businesses, homes and lives. How about all that excess money, rather than going to dividends and share holders, how about it goes into a central fund. That fund can be used to bail out families and businesses all over the continent, rather than making it’s way into the Cayman Islands and other off shore tax havens.

I'm going to be asking for a 15% pay rise next year.

and your employer will be turning it down.

If you consider that pensions, benefits and, more importantly, the NMW is tied to Sept inflation figures then what will companies do for non-NMW wages when NMW get a circa 10% wage increase in April next year?

Is it right that non-NMW increases may be less?
Should non-NMW employees be expecting at least the same 10% rise?

I am working on the assumption of 10% inflation in Sept but it may be higher so who knows

Actually it's 50c, either way the boiler is topping up the tank with hot water throughout the day that was boiled at over 65C so i think it'll be fine

Yes I would switch the immersion off if boiler is doing it anyway, as boiler will be cheaper.

In fact why would you have immersion on at all in this case?

60C is what I usually see banded about, probably because it's a safe margin of error above 50C in case of incorrect temp readings.

As we switch to electric vehicles the government will close tax revenue. Nationalising the electric will give them access to the taxable revenue on eclectic car usage.

If you consider that pensions, benefits and, more importantly, the NMW is tied to Sept inflation figures then what will companies do for non-NMW wages when NMW get a circa 10% wage increase in April next year?

Is it right that non-NMW increases may be less?
Should non-NMW employees be expecting at least the same 10% rise?

I am working on the assumption of 10% inflation in Sept but it may be higher so who knows
I work for a unionised site which had a 6.5% deal this year. We will ask for 15 and probably get 12+

When you can't pay or heat your home what do think the masses will do? Sit at home freezing? I am not so sure, I think they will be in the streets demanding answers
In York the council are apparently looking into having warm rooms.

Similar to food banks but for those who can't afford to heat their homes.

So they can go somewhere temporary to get warm for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom