Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I see Russia has turned off the gas to Germany again. I don't know why they're blaming the low volume on "faulty equipment". We know and they know that they're restricting gas supply to punish the west.

We can't blame them, if the shoe was on the other foot you can bet we'd be doing something similar.

I see Russia has turned off the gas to Germany again. I don't know why they're blaming the low volume on "faulty equipment". We know and they know that they're restricting gas supply to punish the west.

We can't blame them, if the shoe was on the other foot you can bet we'd be doing something similar.
Convenient timing that they have to shut it down for maintenance just after gas prices started to drop a bit and Germany felt confident in its storage for Winter.

absolutely... it is the 1 thing they are doing which i completely sympathise with because shoe on the other foot we would do the same, actually i think we would go 1 step further if it were north sea oil/gas and just turn the taps off to Russia and not even make excuses.... I guess they want the EU money however so it is a balancing act..... I genuinely do not know the answer to the problem....... The cause is obvious and it was completely avoidable with a bit of forward thinking decades ago. But we are where we are now and i will be honest, i would not want to be at the helm trying to sort this one out now.

absolutely... it is the 1 thing they are doing which i completely sympathise with because shoe on the other foot we would do the same, actually i think we would go 1 step further if it were north sea oil/gas and just turn the taps off to Russia and not even make excuses.... I guess they want the EU money however so it is a balancing act..... I genuinely do not know the answer to the problem....... The cause is obvious and it was completely avoidable with a bit of forward thinking decades ago. But we are where we are now and i will be honest, i would not want to be at the helm trying to sort this one out now.

And that's why we have next level genius Truss as the likely one to be next in charge. God help us all! :cool:

The answer to the problem is Russia GTFO out of the Ukraine at least back Crimea.

No other solution should be on the table. Simple as that and maybe Poland can call a "Special Operation" to defend their own borders.

And that's why we have next level genius Truss as the likely one to be next in charge. God help us all! :cool:
indeed... even with a government who was not corrupt, was competent and who put the health of the country completely before their own personal interests i still think we would be in for a real hard time of it.

I am not going to argue with anyone who disagrees with me, but i am not "entirely convinced" ;) that our current crop tick all the boxes of the above.

Anyone with British Gas on a Variable Direct Debit rather than standard fixed?

I don't see anywhere online to change it, guess live chat or phone call?

Edit:

Just waited in the live chat and asked to change from Fixed to Variable, waited a bit and they said it was done.
Good luck with that. I signed up to a fix over 4 months ago and it still hasnt changed, despite numerous online chats and phonecalls.

Good luck with that. I signed up to a fix over 4 months ago and it still hasnt changed, despite numerous online chats and phonecalls.
Fix tariff?
I'm already on the variable whatever tariff as my fix ran out but I was talking about the payment method change from the fixed amount direct debit to pay in full each month variable direct debit.
I know this means higher winter bills but we want to try and be more economical with the heating and hopefully this will encourage it.

The answer to the problem is Russia GTFO out of the Ukraine at least back Crimea.

No other solution should be on the table. Simple as that and maybe Poland can call a "Special Operation" to defend their own borders.

That might be what the West want, but that's not what Russia wants. So unless we all go full out war then you just have to wait and ride it out.

We should remain calm until the government announce what extra support there will be to ease this impossible situation.

No home owner can sustain £1 kWh, or business £2 kWh for electric. (current April 2023 prediction)

yeah thats the problem - its not a case of 'this is going to be difficult/ a struggle to pay' - its literally impossible for a large part of the country to pay anything like that.

Its easy to sort out, we sit around the table collectivly and work through a solution.... However this is alien concept in UK politics thanks to the Tory scum. They have made the bed and every ******* had to lie in it.

I’m currently on Octopus Go which ends 25th Jan 23. 5/24.32/19.11 (Off-peak/peak/standing charge).

Do you think it’s worth me waiting to see what the market is like come expiry of that rate or fix now on Intelligent Octopus? (7.5/40.13/49.38)

My worry is the peak rate. I have Solar but no battery so can only mitigate daily usage during daylight times.

I’m currently on Octopus Go which ends 25th Jan 23. 5/24.32/19.11 (Off-peak/peak/standing charge).

Do you think it’s worth me waiting to see what the market is like come expiry of that rate or fix now on Intelligent Octopus? (7.5/40.13/49.38)

My worry is the peak rate. I have Solar but no battery so can only mitigate daily usage during daylight times.

That's a tricky call and for me would depend on which of these you have, solar/battery storage/ev and what your split is between on and off peak use.

I can't see the current go tariff being available by the end of Jan so if the bulk of your use is on the night rate I'd probably renew and guarantee a bulk of my use is at 7.5ppkWh for another 7 months after Jan.

I'm currently on bulbs variable at

30.2p day
21.1p night
48.2p standing charge

And I'm considering going onto that same Octopus Go you mentioned (if they'll let me without an EV which some earlier in this thread indicated you can). It's a 32% increase in day rate but a good drop in night, SC in my area is actually a tad lower at 47.9p a day.

My issue is I don't know what my bulb variable will change to even if I know what the 'cap' is, so even though it's predetermined I can't make the choice.

Am I being thick and the info is actually out there? Can anyone help on this?

My guess is moving to the Octopus tariff to be fixed is worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom