Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

This is going to bring the NHS to it's knees. If bed blocking is already a problem, it's going to be much worse this winter if frail people face the prospect of being sent home from hospital to a freezing house.

Got some really thick jumpers, including a The Sweater Shop one which is about 28 years old. As TSS clothing was made in Leicester in two factories - sweatshirts and t-shirts in one and sweaters in another. From time to time, they had seconds sales in their factories. Most had stitching which was a little skewed or missing. Remember seeing a t-shirt saying he Sweat hop. Some were demo lines which didn't make the final cut to the shops.

In the past, I wore this sweater when its very cold or I'm ill.

Lol, my mum used to take me along to those seconds sales, queues were mental :D

We should remain calm until the government announce what extra support there will be to ease this impossible situation.

No home owner can sustain £1 kWh, or business £2 kWh for electric. (current April 2023 prediction)

That's what Douglas Adams said.

For posterity :D
obviously it doesn't smell, or is warm - if you were partially turning off a switch with 3KW active load you'd potentially get arcing - it could have welded one contact shut.
depending on failure type maybe interesting to check the (same brand?) one on the hob/oven.

We should remain calm until the government announce what extra support there will be to ease this impossible situation.

No home owner can sustain £1 kWh, or business £2 kWh for electric. (current April 2023 prediction)

A lot of smaller and even medium size businesses can't sustain £1/kWh let alone 2.

Sorry, just to clarify, there's a rocker switch by the tank upstairs that when you try to set it to the off position is pushes back at you and stays on. It's labeled as immersion and there are two thick white wires, one goes to the thermostat which is attached to the tank, and the other wire goes to a circler lump attached to the tank which looks like the head of the heating element itself. There is no light on the switch box itself.

Downstairs is the bank of main switches under the stairs, one is labeled Heating Tank, which I set to the off position on Saturday

Sounds like the normal immersion heater switch is knackered, so you will have to temporarily control it at the distribution board with its RCD or switch fuse in the box under the stairs.

This lot won't be happy until there are care homes full of frozen dead oap's and all the high streets are smoking ruins.

Does it have its own MCB on the panel? If you can isolate it there then open it up. It may be 16amp - you can also remove that fuse on the side to keep it off once you locate it @robgmun .

If by MCB you mean the wall panel, then yes we turned it off already, the switch itself was quite warm to the touch before I did that, but now it's cold. But still can't turn it off at the switch. I did play with the idea of removing the fuse but I didn't want to electrocute myself just in case the MCB was labeled incorrectly.

If by MCB you mean the wall panel, then yes we turned it off already, the switch itself was quite warm to the touch before I did that, but now it's cold. But still can't turn it off at the switch. I did play with the idea of removing the fuse but I didn't want to electrocute myself just in case the MCB was labeled incorrectly.

Once you have turned off at the main board (you say its cool now so should be the one) just pop out the fuse using a flathead screwdriver.

Back
Top Bottom