Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Has anyone got a Tapo P100 Smart Plug and can tell me how much energy it uses just being plugged in with the appliance it's attached to turned off? I don't have a smart meter and don't fancy turning everything off for an hour!
Thanks...
From searching looks to be around 1.5watts. I only have three so think I’ll just leave them on.

No definitely don't have faith, but the level and scale that this impacts has to affect their decision, if for no other reason than the next general election.
I don't think you're getting it.

The government doesn't have to do anything. To be honest, there's nothing they can do. Giving out more free money would cause prices to go up ever further which would escalate inflation higher. It's best that the government keep out by not meddling with the markets, because you can be sure that whatever they think the solution is would end up making things worse.

Truth is, the issues we see today are in part due to what happened during 2007-08. That would have, and should have been a true recession, but central banks artificially bailed out banks and the financial system with with QE and ultra low interest rates. The western world has pretty much been run on funny money for the past 15 years. Those days have ended, and the only thing left is a very severe recession, if not depression. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are going to go bust. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. A lot of people are going to get their homes repossessed. It's kind of normal in recessions and a part of the financial cycle.

My PC uses about 100W at idle, last I looked think it was running about 15W on sleep. Think sleep is just powering the RAM isn’t it? So whatever power it needs to hold the current contents (and power the LEDs) :D
Seems a lot, mine uses 1w while sleeping. Guess it depends on the hardware.

Sleep in Windows 11 is more like hibernate apparently.

Hibernate will store state to disk and then shut off more fully than sleep does.

I couldn't really find a great benefit of using sleep vs using hibernate.

I don't think you're getting it.

The government doesn't have to do anything. To be honest, there's nothing they can do. Giving out more free money would cause prices to go up ever further which would escalate inflation higher. It's best that the government keep out by not meddling with the markets, because you can be sure that whatever they think the solution is would end up making things worse.

Truth is, the issues we see today are in part due to what happened during 2007-08. That would have, and should have been a true recession, but central banks artificially bailed out banks and the financial system with with QE and ultra low interest rates. The western world has pretty much been run on funny money for the past 15 years. Those days have ended, and the only thing left is a very severe recession, if not depression. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are going to go bust. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. A lot of people are going to get their homes repossessed. It's kind of normal in recessions and a part of the financial cycle.

Yeah don't want to believe this but does feel true..... clearly not direct cause of energy price but the reason we have no fix for it....

Has anyone got a Tapo P100 Smart Plug and can tell me how much energy it uses just being plugged in with the appliance it's attached to turned off? I don't have a smart meter and don't fancy turning everything off for an hour!
Thanks...
From searching looks to be around 1.5watts. I only have three so think I’ll just leave them on.
Yes its about 1 to 2 Watts

Sleep in Windows 11 is more like hibernate apparently.

Hibernate will store state to disk and then shut off more fully than sleep does.

I couldn't really find a great benefit of using sleep vs using hibernate.
Hibernate takes way more time to wake than sleep even on win11. So it's the same as before, saves to ram instead of disk. Therefore uses more power.

Hibernate takes way more time to wake than sleep even on win11. So it's the same as before, saves to ram instead of disk. Therefore uses more power.

I don't find it takes too long from hibernate myself, haven't measured it, sure it's not instant but it's not like I'm sat there twiddling my thumbs either.

Attached USB drives do slow it down though.

I can only see one option available, and that is for everything to increase in price to match energy costs (including wages). The idea that we can keep inflation under control, businesses alive, people in jobs while the people and businesses shoulder the cost of energy is impossible. Increasing the cost of just business and its products will not work if no one can afford to buy the products any more.

Yes its about 1 to 2 Watts

I've got the a few TP Link Kasa plugs of various models and they all use around 0.5-0.9 Watts on idle. The Amazon brand plug is 0.7 for me. I think the Phillips Hue plug is the lowest I have.

I have a scattering of brands/models from old projects over the years and I'm shoving them on things with a standby of 5W or more where turning them off at the switch would be a pain. It wouldn't be cost effective to buy them just for that, but as I had them in the cupboard its a no-brainer.

Smart Power strips are probably the best bang-for-your buck.

I just stick with main brands to avoid the whole 'burning the house down' thing with no-name chinese stuff.

I've got the a few TP Link Kasa plugs of various models and they all use around 0.5-0.9 Watts on idle. The Amazon brand plug is 0.7 for me. I think the Phillips Hue plug is the lowest I have.

I have a scattering of brands/models from old projects over the years and I'm shoving them on things with a standby of 5W or more where turning them off at the switch would be a pain. It wouldn't be cost effective to buy them just for that, but as I had them in the cupboard its a no-brainer.

Smart Power strips are probably the best bang-for-your buck.

I just stick with main brands to avoid the whole 'burning the house down' thing with no-name chinese stuff.
I measured with a power meter and they came up 1 to 2W for mine. Either way its low enough

not just energy strategy
- the tories made the poor+middle poorer (so less resilient for this crisis ) levelling up has a more insidious significance.

never mind - thick lizzy's making tax cuts.

52325054681_431f8d7f7c_o_d.jpg

I can only see one option available, and that is for everything to increase in price to match energy costs (including wages). The idea that we can keep inflation under control, businesses alive, people in jobs while the people and businesses shoulder the cost of energy is impossible. Increasing the cost of just business and its products will not work if no one can afford to buy the products any more.
Won't work though in a globalised world. Companies won't pay people more in the UK when they can get cheaper labour elsewhere. The Bank of England have also warned people not to ask for wage increases. Any widespread sign of this would be met with aggressive interest rate rises.

The only real option at this point is the natural one that we've seen before. Bankruptcy, job losses and repossessions. This will initiate mass demand destruction and start to bring inflation down. It should be noted that for every loser, there's a winner on the other side. Once the worst is over, I could only hope that people learn from their previous mistakes.

Won't work though in a globalised world. Companies won't pay people more in the UK when they can get cheaper labour elsewhere. The Bank of England have also warned people not to ask for wage increases. Any widespread sign of this would be met with aggressive interest rate rises.

The only real option at this point is the natural one that we've seen before. Bankruptcy, job losses and repossessions. This will initiate mass demand destruction and start to bring inflation down. It should be noted that for every loser, there's a winner on the other side. Once the worst is over, I could only hope that people learn from their previous mistakes.
Inflation is going to be>20% pay rises will be required to maintain standard of living.

Unless you want to become third world nation

Who? Joe public? Our Politicians? The high risk Bankers? Mistakes never become lessons. Those profit from the politicians that we suffer.

Inflation is going to be>20% pay rises will be required to maintain standard of living.

Unless you want to become third world nation
Already is a third world nation. As is most of the western world.
I don't think people are prepared or even aware that their standard of living is going to plummet soon.

Who? Joe public? Our Politicians? The high risk Bankers? Mistakes never become lessons. Those profit from the politicians that we suffer.
The public majority. Politicians and bankers have never been on your side. But people have to place some of the blame on themselves. The problem is that people have been led into a false sense of security over the past 15 years or so. The lie is finally being revealed, and it started with Covid-19.

Back
Top Bottom