Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

^^^ You have to factor in that we’re not necessarily buying at “wholesale” prices either. For example at the Hinckley Point C nuclear power station that is being built a “strike price” was agreed that was miles over wholesale prices at the time (don’t know how it compares now).
It was over the price at the time, but it was a guaranteed minimum price set for something like 10 years in advance, about the only way it wouldn't have been reached naturally would have been if someone got fusion running and we started to build those plants within a few years of starting the new nuclear station.
Basically the idiots didn't want to pay it because inflation wasn't seen as a thing, let alone the possibility of fuel costs increasing, or that we need to guarantee a baseline electrical capacity.

Short sighted crowd pleasing policies keep coming back to bite us in the butt, and cause massive issues.

New record for me for the highest fuel price witnessed at pump today.193.9p per litre on the A1.

The poverty line is going to change a lot this year.

I have a commute of 80 miles per day, time to look for another job!
That is exactly the reason why my parents moved into the house I grew up in.
Back in the 70's petrol prices went up massively and my dad worked about 50 miles from where they lived, so he and my mother sat down and worked out how much they could save in fuel costs by moving vs the extra on the mortgage.

The downside was they moved from a nice little village, to a town, but the upside was shopping was cheaper (more stores in walking distance), and his commute was cut in half with far more jobs locally.

Most people don't have that option these days, so it's basically try and find a closer job (good luck in most industries), or the move isn't just a handful of miles.

As always it's going to be hitting the people at the lowest end of the income scale the worst as many people in essential, but minimum wage type jobs already often struggle and have no choice about what sort of transport they use due to the hours they work.

local shell garage for me today was 189.9

I am lucky as I have a fuel card and haven't paid for diesel since 2013. I can see £2/l coming up before the summer. Prices seem to be going up min 3p every week

What is daft is that it was up at £106 3 days ago but barrel dropped to £84 and yet we re still seeing rises rather than a drop back down again. Seems companies are pushing as much as they can still with it. The talk is even that fuel will go to £2.5 for petrol and £3 for diesel.

I sense a cost of living disaster coming.

Fuel (all forms) wage stagnation, food costs.
There's going to be none left to support the wider economy if all of an average families money is going on 'energy' and food.

Do not forget the increase in NI coming and the inevitable rise in interest rates.

Yes forgot about those.

It's all money away supporting jobs and services and the local economy.

If prices for fuel (the main issue) and food don't stabilise before winter the alternative is quite scary. I'm sure many many people are incredibly scared.

It's racking up to be 1000+ for some. A lot simply do not have that kind. Of disposable income.

Yep, going to hit everyone apart from the top 30% very very hard, Everyone is going to feel a 50 to 60% increase in energy bills I honestly have no idea how some people are going to be able to do anything but exist from a hand to mouth existence.

Best thing to save you money is a good VPN.

Yep, going to hit everyone apart from the top 30% very very hard, Everyone is going to feel a 50 to 60% increase in energy bills I honestly have no idea how some people are going to be able to do anything but exist from a hand to mouth existence.

Best thing to save you money is a good VPN.

Which VPN do you recommend for cheaper gas, electricity, fuel and food?

Yes forgot about those.

It's all money away supporting jobs and services and the local economy.

If prices for fuel (the main issue) and food don't stabilise before winter the alternative is quite scary. I'm sure many many people are incredibly scared.

It's racking up to be 1000+ for some. A lot simply do not have that kind. Of disposable income.
It's getting tight for my family and together we earn a good wage. I hate to think what it will be like for some people. I'm now actively cutting back and "hunkering down". If something isn't essential I'm not buying it. Unfortunately our energy tariff needs renewing which is going ot hurt. So we're already being far more careful with heating and leaving lights on. I am expected to start coming back into the office but I'm going to hold out at home as long as possible to save on travel costs. If I do get forced back to work then I'll take food in rather than buy a coffee or sandwich near my office.

Well things will be getting worse for a good while and if people vote Tory again in the 2024 general election like turkeys voting for Christmas they only have themselves to blame. There will be no going back after that.

Well things will be getting worse for a good while and if people vote Tory again in the 2024 general election like turkeys voting for Christmas they only have themselves to blame. There will be no going back after that.

Do Labour have a good workable plan to get us out of this?

Do Labour have a good workable plan to get us out of this?
They would have done but people would rather have corrupted greedy government who don't represent them and could not care other than covering there backs and filling there pockets. If that is what people want then so be it. Prices will be increasing and times will get harder. People will get what they vote for.

Back
Top Bottom