Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

And Sunak just laughs it off.....

They won't be laughing come the next election, but they probably know they are ****** when the fuel prices start to hit

They won't be laughing come the next election, but they probably know they are ****** when the fuel prices start to hit
I've no doubt their supporter base will be mugged into blaming someone else... Those ****wits will probably be shortly telling us it's Meghan Markle's fault.

Back in the real world, here's an interesting thread...

Sadly they will be laughing at the next election, most tory voters I have spoken to are along the lines of "well they not as bad as labour" even though labour havent been in power for over 10 years now. It feels different to 1997, when the voters decided to vote in the opposition simply because the existing lot were a disgrace.

I think Sunak's wifes reputed family billions can insulate his house -
Boris oil negotiation - just needs to tell the Saudis your Yemen arms supply can either go to you or the Ukrainians - turn the pumps on;
anyway - Saudi is not too badly placed for a solar enenegy bonanza, storage may be problematic - green hydrogen.

I've no doubt their supporter base will be mugged into blaming someone else... Those ****wits will probably be shortly telling us it's Meghan Markle's fault.

Back in the real world, here's an interesting thread...

The companies that generate do not set the price on the wholesale market. Successive govts have not invested in nuclear so we are reliant on gas and the wholesale price on the open market, the price of has risen pretty much exponentially recently, surely he is not suggesting these companies sell to the UK at 5/10x below the market price?

The companies that generate do not set the price on the wholesale market. Successive govts have not invested in nuclear so we are reliant on gas and the wholesale price on the open market, the price of has risen pretty much exponentially recently, surely he is not suggesting these companies sell to the UK at 5/10x below the market price?
whats the point in investing in nuclear if the energy companies just sell it on the market? your suggesting we are reliant on other countries doing the same so they don't get sold our nuclear energy?

so we build 10-20 nuclear energy plants and the benefit is we can sell France etc the energy for a profit instead of lowering our bills?

open markets a bunch of crap, wouldn't be a problem if they were privatised instead of run at a profit and listed on the stock market.

whos first the shareholders or the customers? we all know

whats the point in investing in nuclear if the energy companies just sell it on the market? your suggesting we are reliant on other countries doing the same so they don't get sold our nuclear energy?

so we build 10-20 nuclear energy plants and the benefit is we can sell France etc the energy for a profit instead of lowering our bills?

open markets a bunch of crap, wouldn't be a problem if they were privatised instead of run at a profit and listed on the stock market.

whos first the shareholders or the customers? we all know

Because the price of nuclear is not subject to markets whims, France gets 70% of its power from Nuclear and their bills are rising by a fraction of what we are seeing here in the UK.

Here is the UK this is decades of poor energy policy catching up with us.

Because the price of nuclear is not subject to markets whims, France gets 70% of its power from Nuclear and their bills are rising by a fraction of what we are seeing here in the UK.

Yes, but the cost of electricity is not lower on the continent, if anything it is higher.

All energy produced goes into the market pool so the price is the same regardless of its originating source. The reason for France is not that they get 70% and that has been stated why many times in this thread.

What has been bad policy is just basically zero investment to our own energy production for decades.

I have currently no idea what my energy costs will be once it settles down, mainly because; I had solar PV installed last September and I recently switched to Octopus Go so use the 4 hour slot for charging my EV and other household usage such as dishwasher, washing machine, etc. If I'm generating surplus during the day, I try and use it rather than send it back to the grid (I don't have battery storage). I have my Octopus account set to pay what I use rather than a fixed monthly amount.

According to my EPC, my house is band A and the only other thing I could do to save money would be to get Solar water heating.
Don't bother with solar water, invest in a solar battery storage.

Not really sure where you’re coming from. Not all Netflix content is in 4K anyway, Disney + offer it as standard. And as you say if not many care for 4K why do they offer a 4K sub?
What I’m saying is make it standard for the little content in 4K anyway, mostly Netflix original content or make a separate 4K sub with 1-2 screens. Anyway this is off topic for this thread.

If 4k is standard that means everyone would have to be paying the £16 a month fee to cover the bandwidth costs, which would lose them many subscribers, that's why 4k isn't standard.

4k is wanted by some customers hence a 4k sub, but not in demand enough to foist everyone onto the 4k sub pricing.

If 4k is standard that means everyone would have to be paying the £16 a month fee to cover the bandwidth costs, which would lose them many subscribers, that's why 4k isn't standard.

4k is wanted by some customers hence a 4k sub, but not in demand enough to foist everyone onto the 4k sub pricing.

No, Netflix charges for the screens as well in the 4k package making it extra expensive as well. They could offer a cheaper 4k sub with less screens, that's what I'm trying to say.
Disney plus has a set price that includes 4k. Why has netflix got to have all these different subs.

Did you read the thread? He acknowledges wholesale price throughout. I wasn't posting the twitter thread to make a point, I just thought it made a number of interesting considerations. It does seem odd to me though that we're allowing energy companies to make astronomical profits, and the govt is seemingly happy to collect a load more tax from us as part of this situation.
Yes, but the cost of electricity is not lower on the continent, if anything it is higher.
Sorry to bang on about this, but you don't seem to grasp how grating it is to see assertions like this made without any sort of compulsion to back up the claim with some evidence. The claim might well be true, but it's got all the authority of a tramp in the street. It's a genuinely interesting point, and I had a quick look and it seems some EU countries paid a bit more than the UK back in 2018 -

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/electricity-rates-around-the-world.html

...But I can't find better figures, or anything more up to date.

Back
Top Bottom