Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

New record for me for the highest fuel price witnessed at pump today.193.9p per litre on the A1.

The poverty line is going to change a lot this year.

I have a commute of 80 miles per day, time to look for another job!

Yes I know, I'm just wondering when the penny will drop with the population that some of this at least is avoidable.

We will find out in two years time at the general elections. This is a world wide issue however. The only reason the French have gotten off is because their energy is state owned. That saying I am sure the government could do more and will do more the closer it gets to election time to swing voters.

No, Netflix charges for the screens as well in the 4k package making it extra expensive as well. They could offer a cheaper 4k sub with less screens, that's what I'm trying to say.
Disney plus has a set price that includes 4k. Why has netflix got to have all these different subs.

One 4k stream would still be 2x the bandwidth of the lower 2 stream 1080p sub though at £12pm, so wouldn't be much lower in price, and Netflix use the average bandwidth per subscriber, I can imagine that one household with 2 screens would actually use less than half the bandwidth of one 4k screen because each person in the house probably wouldn't be watching for the same amount of time.

One 4k stream would still be 2x the bandwidth of the lower 2 stream 1080p sub though at £12pm, so wouldn't be much lower in price, and Netflix use the average bandwidth per subscriber, I can imagine that one household with 2 screens would actually use less than half the bandwidth of one 4k screen because each person in the house probably wouldn't be watching for the same amount of time.

Yeah I get that, but as has been said it shouldn't matter as some think 4k is niche and its not like Netflix has tons of content offering 4k anyway, Its only most of the netflix original content that is 4k, i'm guessing like 15% is 4k on netflix and the rest is in 1080p.
As I said Disney + has 4k+1080p is one standard sub, and has record numbers of subscribers and charges a lot less than Netflix does.

Anyway no big deal, I have cancelled, might just sign up to the cheaper sub when there is a load of content to binge watch.

The French system just means the people living in the south are helping to pay the bills of the people in the north and because its government along the way a lot of money is being wasted probably. Though the French still seem to have a better energy policy then Germany which by avoiding nuclear have ramped up coal and somehow woken the Russian bear with billions wasted on a gas pipe line. How they couldnt use their engineering skill to utilise hydro or anything alternative over decades, they have done nothing innovative while having a definite requirement

I have a commute of 80 miles per day, time to look for another job!

I saw LPG at less then half that price. The fuel is better for the engine long run as it does not degrade the oil and its just nicer, the fumes are similar to cooking gas. Companies will convert your car, worth getting a quote imo I think its more convenient then electric

https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/

Last edited:
I've no doubt their supporter base will be mugged into blaming someone else... Those ****wits will probably be shortly telling us it's Meghan Markle's fault.

Back in the real world, here's an interesting thread...

But this is wrong, the figure for brought energy for UK energy firms has multiplied by almost 5x so that figure of £389 should be £1945.

Using the Gas price March 14 2021 = £44.05
Price now for Gas = £285.0

That means the price for Gas is 6.47x what it was this time last year.

Also to note over 10yr the price has been between £35 and £65. Apart from Covid 2020 influence when everything went into lockdown it been pretty consistent till now. Big spikes in the last 25yr were 2005 and 2008 but were short time frame.

Electric in price March 2021 = £57.04
Electric price now = £243.96

That means the price for Electric is 4.27x

So yeah, based on that figures given and what SSE costs are (ignoring that inflation is even a thing with this persons figures apparently doesn't exist) then the new total would be closes to £2839 which is suspiciously close to the £3k figure mentioned. Like seems to have completely ignored that SSE are not the ones setting the wholesale price they pay and thus are not the ones profiting from this.

Yes a composite door, problem solved.:D
You could say.....I walked right into that one :o:D.

We're renting so looking for simply/easy solutions now. Need to get a timer set up for our heating since we got a new boiler, habit is definitely another area to look at and easy fixes like draft door stoppers.

Anyone used a door draft stopper? A few versions on Amazon and thinking it might be an easy fix for our front and back doors.

The best thing I had ever done regarding that was replacing the rubber seals around the inserts of the front and back doors. Never needed draft stoppers for that purpose. Even fixed up the letterbox to stop any drafts. As it was originally metal to plastic for the letterbox.

Draft stoppers were always things I remember at my Gran's because the seals were worn after decades.

You could say.....I walked right into that one :o:D.

We're renting so looking for simply/easy solutions now. Need to get a timer set up for our heating since we got a new boiler, habit is definitely another area to look at and easy fixes like draft door stoppers.
As well as the draught excluder at the bottom of the door, I fit brush sealing strips all round the edge, it definitely made a difference. Also, check your letterbox, that's another area that can be quite draughty.

As well as the draught excluder at the bottom of the door, I fit brush sealing strips all round the edge, it definitely made a difference. Also, check your letterbox, that's another area that can be quite draughty.
The best thing I had ever done regarding that was replacing the rubber seals around the inserts of the front and back doors. Never needed draft stoppers for that purpose. Even fixed up the letterbox to stop any drafts. As it was originally metal to plastic for the letterbox.

Draft stoppers were always things I remember at my Gran's because the seals were worn after decades.
Thank you both. Forgive my ignorance - how difficult a job is doing the seals/can you DIY? Same for brush sealing strips? My DIY knowledge is pretty low but always willing to learn, within reason.

As far as I'm aware most doors has plastic groove inserts for the rubber seals. They slide in. I made it one solid piece folding around the corners so it was completely sealed. Leaving a little excess to sit on top of the last corner for when the door closes.

It was years of the sunlight that perished mine with the doors open.

But this is wrong, the figure for brought energy for UK energy firms has multiplied by almost 5x so that figure of £389 should be £1945.

Using the Gas price March 14 2021 = £44.05
Price now for Gas = £285.0

That means the price for Gas is 6.47x what it was this time last year.

Also to note over 10yr the price has been between £35 and £65. Apart from Covid 2020 influence when everything went into lockdown it been pretty consistent till now. Big spikes in the last 25yr were 2005 and 2008 but were short time frame.

Electric in price March 2021 = £57.04
Electric price now = £243.96

That means the price for Electric is 4.27x

So yeah, based on that figures given and what SSE costs are (ignoring that inflation is even a thing with this persons figures apparently doesn't exist) then the new total would be closes to £2839 which is suspiciously close to the £3k figure mentioned. Like seems to have completely ignored that SSE are not the ones setting the wholesale price they pay and thus are not the ones profiting from this.

Keep in mind that not all forms of electricity production have seen massive increases in costs.

Companies that can produce electricity at a low marginal cost and then sell it for 30p per kWh are gonna announce massive profits. Same goes for any oil/gas producers which do exist in this country.

If Centrica's profits don't increase massively, they are doing something wrong. It's inconvenient that they are doing this by charging British Gas much higher wholesale prices. EDF also produce their own electricity. Don't know about SSE.

Keep in mind that not all forms of electricity production have seen massive increases in costs.

Companies that can produce electricity at a low marginal cost and then sell it for 30p per kWh are gonna announce massive profits. Same goes for any oil/gas producers which do exist in this country.

If Centrica's profits don't increase massively, they are doing something wrong. It's inconvenient that they are doing this by charging British Gas much higher wholesale prices. EDF also produce their own electricity. Don't know about SSE.

Indeed those companies are but that is not SSE or EON or Octopus though etc that we purchase from. They are purchasing at those global market values. The companies that are producing at source and selling to the market are making huge profits. Also to note that SSE generation limited or SSE Renewables Wind farms limited work like say LG displays and LG electronics and so the consumer SSE is what I mean purchase from SSE generation limited. That also same for EDF where they are separate entities whom the production side sells to the global market and the consumer side buys said supply at the global rate.

Now should you be suggesting those other companies could prop up their own energy provider with their profits, you could but I believe that will cause issues that the Watchdog hounds would get upset about and would cause other companies to collapse in the UK that wouldn't have their own ability to do the same and we would end up with like 3 providers to pick from at most and that wouldn't be good either in terms of having competitive solutions.

So the point still stands that as examples energy companies are buying at hugely higher global costs and not all would survive if the change was made that they could say only sell at X% over their production costs. Maybe where other suppliers would need to be subsidised whilst they invested into local production that could work and we don't have to purchase from the global market? I am not 100% sure on what rules there are globally for selling and purchasing though. In that it seems that currently as a global economic requirement companies have to sell onto the global market regardless.

^^^ You have to factor in that we’re not necessarily buying at “wholesale” prices either. For example at the Hinckley Point C nuclear power station that is being built a “strike price” was agreed that was miles over wholesale prices at the time (don’t know how it compares now).

Back
Top Bottom