Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Vimes' Boots Theory

With thanks to Terry Pratchett:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Was thinking of exactly this when read the previous post

That is why I have a battery indeed, seemed a no brainer to add it with the install.

Also gives a bit more flex in usage, instead of having to zoom to turn stuff on when the sun comes out for an hour :)
I've got a call due about a quote for a battery, we'll see what they come back with... Been wondering about the biggest battery but for the moment the over night usage is very small, might change with a battery...

If the worst happened and we had to introduce gas rationing, would there be exceptions made for households with elderly, young children or disabled people?
Gas rationing would effect electic generation and large users, our own supply should be enough to supply enough gas to household users.

Vimes' Boots Theory

With thanks to Terry Pratchett:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

That is such a good piece of writing.

A workmate jokingly suggested submitting massively inflated meter readings now while the cost of energy is "cheap" and then once it's expensive it will be a while before he catches up. It's not such a bad idea.

A workmate jokingly suggested submitting massively inflated meter readings now while the cost of energy is "cheap" and then once it's expensive it will be a while before he catches up. It's not such a bad idea.

Sounds just like the COVID situation, where the self employed who had declared their income much lower than actual (prior to covid), and then complained when the furlough scheme wasn’t matching their real income, as it was based off submitted accounts.

Artificially submitting high energy readings just means you/they will be paying more per month thereafter, because the energy supplier believes you are using more energy than you were, based off false readings.

I wonder if they could ration those of us with smart meters? I doubt they would, but is it a possibility?
I don't think it would be possible on the gas side at least. As far as I'm aware the meter just monitors flow rate and wouldn't have an ability to restrict that. Only way they could turn off gas would be to physically turn the isolation valve off.

Electric side might be smarter but I'm not too clued up.

I don't think it would be possible on the gas side at least. As far as I'm aware the meter just monitors flow rate and wouldn't have an ability to restrict that. Only way they could turn off gas would be to physically turn the isolation valve off.

Electric side might be smarter but I'm not too clued up.

This thread indicates that smart gas meters do have a shutoff valve in them:

Any rationing would probably take the form of punitive pricing though, similar to the Triad rates that big businesses currently pay for electric at peak times in winter, where they go up something like 100x for a few hours.

This thread indicates that smart gas meters do have a shutoff valve in them:

Any rationing would probably take the form of punitive pricing though, similar to the Triad rates that big businesses currently pay for electric at peak times in winter, where they go up something like 100x for a few hours.
Ah OK I was totally wrong :)

Where did you get quotes from? I am waiting for E.On to call me later this month, but don't seem to have much luck finding anyone else to quote, I'm not even sure my roof is suitable!

My installers wont do you any good, both local area only

You can use this to find local to you

A good survey should check your roof suitability

Anyone lucky enough to still be on a good tariff from before this all kicked off?

My electric is still 17p and my gas is 3p p/kwh until May 2023. I'm going to be in for a massive shock when it's all over. I need to spend the money I'm saving now on getting house better prepared for future I think.

Back
Top Bottom