Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Anyone lucky enough to still be on a good tariff from before this all kicked off?

My electric is still 17p and my gas is 3p p/kwh until May 2023. I'm going to be in for a massive shock when it's all over. I need to spend the money I'm saving now on getting house better prepared for future I think.
Work with a guy who fixed until 2024 on similar rates, he will be saving around £10k Vs me over the next 2 years it's crazy

Anyone lucky enough to still be on a good tariff from before this all kicked off?

My electric is still 17p and my gas is 3p p/kwh until May 2023. I'm going to be in for a massive shock when it's all over. I need to spend the money I'm saving now on getting house better prepared for future I think.
I am fixed until Dec 31 2023, I think my rates are pretty good, 23p for electric and I think about 17p for gas. not looking forward to after

If anyone lives in Kent/Surrey/Sussex area we used a company called solar dynamics who are local and do a good job. £12k for 16 panels, 6kw inverter, Eddi diverter, and 10kw of battery storage. Of course prices may be different now.

Same as what I'm doing. Putting the savings aside just in case this is permanent

Work with a guy who fixed until 2024 on similar rates, he will be saving around £10k Vs me over the next 2 years it's crazy
Yeah im beginning to realise how lucky I timed it. A friend at work told me his bill was £300 this month. Mine was £52 for gas and electric.

I'm glad we are safe until the winter is over really. Next winter will come as a massive shock if things don't change before then.

Same as what I'm doing. Putting the savings aside just in case this is permanent

Similar to me, I used to plough the majority of any excess (which isn't much considering I pay for everything and have 2 kids as well) into my pension pot, but I've basically stopped doing that to build a bit of a pot. I do have the recommended 3-4months salary put aside but that wasn't provisioned for this situation. Yes I know it's okay for some... My point isn't one of showing off, I've always been very careful with saving money for extreme situations, but this is going to be prolonged and I haven't planned for that at all. What I'm planning on doing is being very very strict with energy usage as that will have a greater impact. I.e. not using desktop pc but using laptop on battery until it needs charging, not turning the heating up, turning most things off at night that I didn't used to. Avoiding the oven and use the slow cooker. I've even just bought several rolls of insulation for the loft that I need to install soon. Other than that I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm focussing on cutting usage as much as I can whilst trying to maintain a certain amount of enjoyable life. Which I think is going to be stretching things.

I've saved over £100 pcm on cutting back from subscriptions, lowering internet package etc.... I'm now hypermileing everywhere!

Yeah im beginning to realise how lucky I timed it. A friend at work told me his bill was £300 this month. Mine was £52 for gas and electric.

I'm glad we are safe until the winter is over really. Next winter will come as a massive shock if things don't change before then.
I started the year paying £23 for both gas and electric. I've been paying £99.99 the last few months, so the October price rise is going to massively hurt.

This is the man who moved onto the tracker into the smart money just as the smart money moved out. This is the man who drives a Volkswagen.

Someone at work had fire in loft when inverter/panels caught fire. Speaking to fireman I know he was telling me fire service don't like panels as they are always live from panel to invertor.

Is it worth worrying about?
defective bypass diodes if the panel goes out - presumably you have to add panels&battery&Co to house insurance.

Amazon interview this morning r4today about scottish on land wind-farms (some of whom are for Amazon PPA) and their environmental impact, maybe Amazon could diversify into the energy game.

Talk about profiteering !
Wash your mouth out with soap! There's no such thing as too much profit according to our free market economist brethren

To bemoan a capitalist earning high profits is like complaining about a surgeon saving too many lives.

:p

It is funny now seeing the dramatic change in people's opinion over the nationalisation / free market discussion that up to now has garnered accusations of being a communist if you espoused anything but the free market!

On variable avro.... Zero point in changing.

To fix 12 months it's £380 so that's a extra £260 a month lost due to Tory's failure's and protections. How the **** people are meant to take that hit without government assistance is beyond me.

Yes we're ok until April 2024, consider myself very very lucky that my fix ran out when it did, and I fixed for three years. More luck than judgement but my spider senses were tingling.

Electricity unit rate: 18.72p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 23.77p per day

Gas unit rate: 3.834p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.12p per day

Wash your mouth out with soap! There's no such thing as too much profit according to our free market economist brethren

:p

It is funny now seeing the dramatic change in people's opinion over the nationalisation / free market discussion that up to now has garnered accusations of being a communist if you espoused anything but the free market!

Profit and profiteering are different things, but I know you know that and just having a bit of fun :). I'm all for people and businesses being successful but taking the **** and price gouging is not imo part of that. Apparently I'm more of a centrist with a bit of left leaning (apparently according to those online surveys) not that I really care! :p

Well my wife started her new job yesterday, what is great. As I have been the close to being the sole earner for the last 12 months. Whilst she done all the courses and training to become a TA, during a period when she only could get one shift a week. What only earner her enough to fill her car up and a few odds. So the extra income will come in very handy.

During this time i have been renovating the house as well, now coming to an end. Just a few rooms to decorate now.

We had a new combi boiler fitted at the start of the processs of renovating. what should be a lot more efficient than the old on was, Thank god.

I have been keeping an eye on our funds like a lot of us have. I have already had to reduce the amount we save, to absorb the increasing energy bills. Glad that we have a emergency fund, of about 3 months worth of household bills. What is lucky, I know many of my friends don’t have this and are seriously worried.

I would really like to get solar panels and a battery storage system fitted. But we can’t afford that at the minute, unless we had it on finance. What really isn’t a good idea at the moment.

I am starting to consider getting a 2nd job, as this crisis is set to only get worse. Anyone else thinking of getting a 2nd job or already have one.

A month ago I bought a portable indoor gas fire and gas bottle as some backup heat for the Winter. Checked earlier and every model is now sold out.

Its not cheap heat, but if the electric is off my gas central heating is useless ! I suppose I could get a sparky to change the existing power cable for the boiler from being hard-wired to one that runs off a 13A plug, and then have the option to run it off something like a solar generator (I don't have any separate pumps - everything is in the boiler and the thermostat is wireless/battery powered)

Here's your past year in review​

Your current plan:
Simpler Energy
Plan type and length:
Variable
It ends on:
N/A
Electricity you used:
5421 kWh
Gas you used:
11663 kWh
How much it cost:
£1446
Great news! You used 18% less electricity and 30% less gas compared to the year before

I'm aiming for 80% reduction by march ( gas ;))

Back
Top Bottom