Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I spent time clearing my loft of an old steel water tank and old insulation barely 10cm thick. Now re insulated with 27 cm fibre insulation and put a loft floor in on loft legs to tidy it up. Hopefully should help come winter. Definately wear a mask.

Make sure you get some rubber gloves (not 100% necessary) and a decent face mask, fibre glass insulation gets EVERYWHERE and you don't want to be breathing it in. Other than that it's really simple, it's basically just roll and cut (watch out for the 'expansion' when you open the wrap though).

Besides you're more likely to put a foot through the ceiling (I've been there done that, luckily while taking the actual roof off) than screw up laying the fibre glass :p

hehe reminds me of being a kid.
My dad was helping my granddad by insulating the loft. It was a steel framed bungalow where the beams were significantly further apart than wooded, iirc was something like 3 feet between, and being metal less grippy than wood

They were just finishing up, mid/late afternoon and my dad missed his footing, slipped, and came through the ceiling landing right in a chair (it broke to my nans upset since it was an old family one) but it saved him falling 8 feet and landing on his arse on the floor.

Luckily and unusually for domestic it had a suspended ceiling so it wasn't too hard to fix the damage compared to had it have been plasterboard.

My nan would bring up that poor chair for years afterwards! :)

kettle.jpg

Thing gets me I have a house I need to renovate and sort out
So I have near zero electricity or gas.
But I have the standing charge.

Because it doesn't matter whether you use the power lines or not, they still need to be maintained and capacity kept available in case you need it.

If you don't want a standing charge then disconnect the property from the grid

Back
Top Bottom