Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Electric cars are the future.........apparently

Paired with a solar panel they are!

My mum is thinking of grabbing one of these, if this is going into production today think might be available over the next few decades, this thing will give you around 70 miles range solar top-up on average just parked in your drive! can you imagine just getting in your car after it's been sat in the office carpark and your fuel has been topped a few miles for free! that could cover some people smaller work trips.

Actually a lot of people will stop cooking and will just microwave everything.

I'd rather freeze tbh

My mum is thinking of grabbing one of these, if this is going into production today think might be available over the next few decades, this thing will give you around 70 miles range solar top-up on average just parked in your drive! can you imagine just getting in your car after it's been sat in the office carpark and your fuel has been topped a few miles for free! that could cover some people smaller work trips.

Can you imagine the insurance costs though? A little car park ding or scrape and forget dent removal or even a respray, it'll be a full panel replacement every time

I hate how the solar charging rate is obscured by stating the range gained in miles. What speed is that range gained at?
I went to their website and the graph is dodgy. It shows the weekly range of the car increasing from 77 km (cloudy all day) to 245km (all day sun) due to solar. A three times increase seems sus to me.
Lets not forget that solar panels have an optimum angle relative to the sun, so your car may not even be parked in the optimal angle. Also in a carpark you will have cars parked next to you so this will reduce the charging rate.
Also how much efficiency does this lose when the car is dirty?

Not sure how unless he doesn’t know about the EV tariffs? 7.5p/kWh

I've been seeing this all over the news and social media.

Can someone help me with the maths please, as I'm getting nowhere near.

It costs me £1.81 to charge my etron (one of the most inefficient EVs you can buy). When my fixed rate ends it will still be significantly cheaper than filling up with petrol. Unless I've got something terribly wrong and I'm in for a shock. If it does indeed cost more than petrol, which is what these days? £100 for a tank? That means electrics going up so much surely everyone in the country will be defaulting on their bills? Octopus are predicting my bills are increasing £200 a month from November, but that's far too low to hit £100 on a charge.

I've been seeing this all over the news and social media.

Can someone help me with the maths please, as I'm getting nowhere near.

It costs me £1.81 to charge my etron (one of the most inefficient EVs you can buy). When my fixed rate ends it will still be significantly cheaper than filling up with petrol. Unless I've got something terribly wrong and I'm in for a shock. If it does indeed cost more than petrol, which is what these days? £100 for a tank? That means electrics going up so much surely everyone in the country will be defaulting on their bills? Octopus are predicting my bills are increasing £200 a month from November, but that's far too low to hit £100 on a charge.

Is your maths right?

At a 70 kWh battery and 7.5p/kWh that would be about a fiver. At 50p/kWh that would be £35.

Is your maths right?

At a 70 kWh battery and 7.5p/kWh that would be about a fiver. At 50p/kWh that would be £35.

Probably not :cry:

I know I pay 5p during the night when it's on charge. Thinking about it, whilst we put it on charge when it's low, it's never right down to zero and it charges to 80%

That said, £35 is far cheaper than £100 which means electric would have to be around £1.40 kWh so triple what it is now

Probably not :cry:

I know I pay 5p during the night when it's on charge. Thinking about it, whilst we put it on charge when it's low, it's never right down to zero and it charges to 80%

That said, £35 is far cheaper than £100

5p is very good so yeah if you're charging 70 kWh from flat to full at 5p that would be 70*5p = £3.50.

If electric goes up to 80p/kWh and you're charging a full 70 kWh that's where the comparison to petrol comes from. Plus you have to account for range, if a like for like car will do 400 miles on a tank of petrol but 300 on a full charge then you need to account for that.

EV still cheaper I think but not by much, which is a big loss of benefit of having one.

Back
Top Bottom