Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

And how many miles have you done in it?

surely miles is irrelevant though, as the more miles means even more petrol costs?

I'm struggling to understand how they are nearly the same. Even with the predicted cost cap coming, they are still cheaper than Petrol.

Maybe the figures work between the most expensive electric tariff with the most inefficient ev vs the most efficient petrol car at the cheapest petrol station. That's fetching a bit, as hardly anyone regularly charges outside of the off-peak window.

Massive difference:

Average car fill up these days is what £70-80? Petrol prices have are down ~25% since the peak.

5p is very good so yeah if you're charging 70 kWh from flat to full at 5p that would be 70*5p = £3.50.

I get about 200 miles out of my Model 3 performance and cranage when down to 20% or so (upto 90). I charge it last night and stuck ~56 kwh in so a bit more than 20% when I started changing. I'm paying 7.5 p so that's what £4.20 for somewhere between 150 and 200 miles. If you take a normal ice car to get double that, you aren't filling a tank for less than a tenner. I guess if you at the current cap it would be around 4 times more, but even that's only £30. When it goes upto to 50 I can see it being close, but only an idiot would be on a cheap night rate with an ev at that point.

surely miles is irrelevant though, as the more miles means even more petrol costs?

I'm struggling to understand how they are nearly the same. Even with the predicted cost cap coming, they are still cheaper than Petrol.

Maybe the figures work between the most expensive electric tariff with the most inefficient ev vs the most efficient petrol car at the cheapest petrol station. That's fetching a bit, as hardly anyone regularly charges outside of the off-peak window.

Massive difference:

Yes, currently if you're on a good tariff, an EV is massively cheaper. I believe the speculation is about what could be the charging cost if prices go up again to nearer £1/kWh and I guess if someone isn't on an EV tariff, then the cost would be similar.

Miles done is important if you're making comparisons on your charging cost. My petrol cost last month could have been £0 if I did no miles. Its variable.

Range is important if you're considering comparing a petrol car to an EV, because in a like for like car they may not be the same.

Take two Audi hatchbacks, a petrol and an EV, at £1.80 per litre petrol and £1 per kWh electricity cost:

The EV has a 250 mile range on a 70 kWh battery. At £1/kWh it will cost £70 to charge, that is 28p per mile.

The petrol does 35 mpg and has a 60 litre tank which means its range is c.450 miles. 60 litres x £1.80 per litre costs £108 to fill. That works out to 24p a mile.

Of course, the EV might have 200bhp and the petrol 150, so to properly compare you'd have to account for that as well.

So many variables but you can see roughly how it works.

You don't need to worry if you can continue to get tariffs well under the current cap.

I get about 200 miles out of my Model 3 performance and cranage when down to 20% or so (upto 90). I charge it last night and stuck ~56 kwh in so a bit more than 20% when I started changing. I'm paying 7.5 p so that's what £4.20 for somewhere between 150 and 200 miles. If you take a normal ice car to get double that, you aren't filling a tank for less than a tenner. I guess if you at the current cap it would be around 4 times more, but even that's only £30. When it goes upto to 50 I can see it being close, but only an idiot would be on a cheap night rate with an ev at that point.
It will be an issue if electricity doesn't go down over the next few years for the millions of EV owners who can't charge at home.

seems unlikely does he not have an EV tarrif ?
More like impossible.

Some people are so thick with these unverified statements it boggles the mind.

Someone my dad knows was telling him even though he's on a cheap fixed energy tariff till next summer, the government has the power to end that contract and he'll be on variable just like everyone starting now. You make this dumb shizz up.

Back
Top Bottom