Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

one of the VW's came with a solar panel on the roof as a special edition, but yeah no idea why it isn't a standard fitting.

Because it generates nothing of any consequence for a practical car. I am currently working with these folk in the states. But for a modern car as we know it forget it for current technology of solar panels.

What if there were parking spots with reflectors surrounding it to concentrate the light onto the PV panels?

Honestly it's nothing in the grand scheme of requirements for a car as we know it. Hence the Aptera and it's aero shape etc.

a lot of the new EV manufacturers are perfecting the systems in place ready for the switch to Hydrogen it should be a straight switch from battery to hydrogen (remember hydrogen is for electrical generation not fuel as such) and this will happen very quickly. Once hydrogen is cheap enough to make. You will see the middle East start using massive solar farms for hydrogen creation and the rest of the world is hanging on Fusion for it. 60-80 years.

How do you “win” against energy companies? I’m with OVO and have been for 8 years. Never in debt and always paid by Direct Debit. Current DD is £125 a month.

Combined usage for last three months:

June - £58 (on holiday 2 weeks but before we started looking at usage in the house)
July - £105 buu had fans running a lot due to heat wave
August - £91 whcih is after we turned off a 20 year old fridge and switched all the remaining bulbs to LED

Electricity is around £55 a month and fairly static throughout the year so 80% on that would be £99 a month

Gas usage is 40 a month in winter so 80% on that would be £72 a month.

Total - £171 in winter. Less £66 from government = £105 and my DD is £125 with the £250 credit…

OVO want to put out DD up to £325 a month from September to cover predicted usage. I didn’t agree when I phoned them and even with the the 80% increase it doesn’t add up. I explained what we’d done this year to reduce usage including new double glazing everywhere, 600mm of loft insulation, new roof and repointing and draught proofing. We also have a log burner and 1 ton of wood purchased ready for winter.

After explaining all this the advisor said there was nothing they could do to change the DD amount. I also asked to be out on whole amount Direct Debit and they refused because I’m not on a working smart meter - I have one (gen 1) but it has no signal in a solid wall Victorian basement.

I’m currently waiting for the complaint to be handled but just don’t see how they can get away with unilaterally upping my DD to an amount that high when I don’t agree to pay it. I’m also £250 in credit at the moment but they said I will use so much energy between now and September 2023 it needs to go up to no less than £325 to cover this. Again nothing they can do to change it.

If I come off the DD the tariff prices go up so I’m being held hostage to what I can / need to pay at the moment.

Any suggestions?

How do you “win” against energy companies? I’m with OVO and have been for 8 years. Never in debt and always paid by Direct Debit. Current DD is £125 a month.

June - £58 (on holiday 2 weeks but before we started looking at usage in the house)
August - £91 whcih is after we turned off a 20 year old fridge and switched all the remaining bulbs to LED

OVO want to put out DD up to £325 a month from September to cover predicted usage. I didn’t agree when I phoned them and even with the the 80% increase it doesn’t add up. I explained what we’d done this year to reduce usage including new double glazing everywhere, 600mm of loft insulation, new roof and repointing and draught proofing. We also have a log burner and 1 ton of wood purchased ready for winter.

After explaining all this the advisor said there was nothing they could do to change the DD amount. I also asked to be out on whole amount Direct Debit and they refused because I’m not on a working smart meter - I have one (gen 1) but it has no signal in a solid wall Victorian basement.

I’m currently waiting for the complaint to be handled but just don’t see how they can get away with unilaterally upping my DD to an amount that high when I don’t agree to pay it. I’m also £250 in credit at the moment but they said I will use so much energy between now and September 2023 it needs to go up to no less than £325 to cover this. Again nothing they can do to change it.

If I come off the DD the tariff prices go up so I’m being held hostage to what I can / need to pay at the moment.

Any suggestions?

They are basically looking at your useage for the last 12 months, or thereabouts. Then multiplying that by the new rates (and probably taking into consideration Januarys predicted rise) then dividing it by 12 which will give them your new monthly payment.

Any suggestions?
You can just change it manually yourself on the website with Ovo.

They are basically looking at your useage for the last 12 months, or thereabouts. Then multiplying that by the new rates (and probably taking into consideration Januarys predicted rise) then dividing it by 12 which will give them your new monthly payment.
See my calculation above (edited post) - still doesn’t add up!?

You can’t. I can either leave it at £125 or change it to £325 or higher and nothing in between.
You have the right to change to whole amount DD if you want, thats the only way you can "win" whoever you talked to is talking rubbish. You can also reduce your DD to any amount you wish as long as you agree on the call it may not be enough and you accept responsiblity. Did it all the time when working for EDF and activly encouraged whole amount DD as it...well...cant go wrong as long as you provide readings each month.

Anyone can have whole amount dd regardless of smart meters.

You have the right to change to whole amount DD if you want, thats the only way you can "win"
Anyone can have whole amount regardless of smart meters.
I tried this and they refused, hence raised a complaint which is 7-14 days turnaround time which is after the DD goes up..

Electricity is around £55 a month and fairly static throughout the year so 80% on that would be £99 a month

Gas usage is 40 a month in winter so 80% on that would be £72 a month.

Total - £171 in winter. Less £66 from government = £105 and my DD is £125 with the £250 credit…

Any suggestions?

I do not believe that a working smart meter is a requirement to be on whole amount DD. You can just give an accurate reading once a month.

I tried this and they refused, hence raised a complaint which is 7-14 days turnaround time which is after the DD goes up..
I hope you threatened the ombudsman to them? its like £350 fine every time a customer goes to the ombusman so they usually play ball once you mention it. Whoever you talked to is talking complete rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom