Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The Model Y has a 75kWh (I think) battery. Even at the October price cap that's about £39 to "fill up". The same cost as 23 litres of unleaded.

That's more what I thought.
Getting closer. But not there.
But sounds like it would be close to level in a standard tariff without the price cap shield.

Still. No one should be on a standard with an eV!

It is certainly worth keeping an eye on. I don't see it happening but IF energy companies ever decided to gut the off peak tariff for EV users then it would be a worry.

but given the whole sale price difference I just don't see it happening. energy sellers will NOT want EV users charging their car at 3pm-8pm

Off-peak EV charging makes a lot of sense, the grid is less busy and there is always some background demand.

Wind picks up at night etc.

We should be encouraging off-peak charging with cost incentives, avoids higher demand in the day.

Reactions: TNA
Off-peak EV charging makes a lot of sense, the grid is less busy and there is always some background demand.

We should be encouraging off-peak charging with cost incentives, avoids higher demand in the day.
The wholesale price is often negative at night or very low single digits. This is why those low tariffs exist because EVs will use them.

But what is your Kwh useage for last 12 months for elec and the same for gas?

Quoting ££ is not of any real help without knowing your actual useage over a time period

For example I'm currently paying £260 a month based on the current SVR from April.

My typical annual useage for elec = 5600Kwh

My typical annual useage for gas = 19000Kwh

So in terms of cost for;

elec = 5600 x 0.28p = £1568
gas = 19000 x 0.074p = £1406

Standing charges;

elec = 365 x 0.478p = £174.47
gas = 365 x 0.272 = £99.28

Add them all up = £3247.75 / 12 = £270 - which is about right for what I'm paying currently, with around £650 credit.

Now replace those with the new SVR rates from October comes to a total of = £5993 / 12 = £500 So I'm expecting my DD to be raised to that amount.

Just checked and:

3900Kwh for electricity - and this is to go down a bit as we’ve switched every bulb to LED and disconnected a 20 year old fridge freezer that was keeping nothing cold in the basement

21000Kwh for gas - this is high but we had a baby last year and the heating was on 21c for long periods of time. This is also pre log burner and double glazing / roof insulation

So £1092 for electricity and £1554 for gas

With £400 discount and £250 credit that’s £166 a month on previous usage which was or should be quite a bit higher and what I explained to them.

I agree with this on principle, its just a shame its so focused on EVs. The tariffs ideally would be for "any" type of off peak usage to encourage "everyone".

But I expect the EV manufacturers are paying for these tariffs which otherwise wouldnt be viable. But not fully convinced as the lack of auditing by Octopus seems odd. Would think the manufacturers would realise something is amiss on the numbers.

i doubt EV manufacturers are subsidising it tbh (they may be paying for the special Go which is only for certain manufacturers) but not generic Go.

happy to be corrected but they can't make EVs fast enough at the moment with up to 12 month waiting lists car depending so I don't see the need from the EV manufacturers.

also if I was gonna be cynical... I dare say the old guard car sellers would be happy to sell fossil burners if they can.

Just checked and:

3900Kwh for electricity - and this is to go down a bit as we’ve switched every bulb to LED and disconnected a 20 year old fridge freezer that was keeping nothing cold in the basement

21000Kwh for gas - this is high but we had a baby last year and the heating was on 21c for long periods of time. This is also pre log burner and double glazing / roof insulation

With £400 discount and £250 credit that’s £166 a month on previous usage which was or should be quite a bit higher and what I explained to them.

New October cap rate is 52p a unit for electricity and 14.7p for gas

Makes your usage

Gas £3087
Electricity £2028

Total £5115 or £426 a month over the year.

The £325 a month they have suggested doesn't sounds far off with you lowering your usage but bear in mind there will likely be increases in January and April 2023

We’re testing wireless charging for taxis, which I suppose might work since they spend a lot of time waiting.

Seems daft. The time spent lining up the pads could be used un/plugging in a cable. If the perimeter is broken charging stops and has to be reset. If a metal object is on the pad you have to move the car and remove it. And IIRC, the wirless pads are much slower than a fast charger, the video shows 10.5KW. Literally the only reason to use it is so that taxis can move forward in the rank and still charge. Maybe they should think of a better way to control the rank instead to allow for a cable with a much higher speed charger to allow them to get a decent amount of charge.

Just checked and:

You've worked out the cost at the current price cap rates (except you've forgotten to add the electricity standing charge). If you're on the standard variable rate your annual usage would cost around £5,400 from 1 October. Less £400 and £250 that's £4,750 or £396/month.

Ovo do pay you interest on your credit. 4% I think.

Yup, I had my DD set quite a bit higher than needed when I was with them, as it was better than any savings account at the time!

Because it generates nothing of any consequence for a practical car. I am currently working with these folk in the states. But for a modern car as we know it forget it for current technology of solar panels.

Some of the early Leafs (Leaves? :p) had a solar panel on the spoiler as well, but I think it was basically just used to maintain the 12v battery

The Model Y has a 75kWh (I think) battery. Even at the October price cap that's about £39 to "fill up". The same cost as 23 litres of unleaded.

Google says that a full 75 kWh Model Y is good for 260 miles (probably 230 real World)

23 litres of petrol (roughly 5 gallons) would get me 250 miles in my car (50mpg).

So yeah, on Oct price cap and standard tariff, it's reached cross over

That's more what I thought.
Getting closer. But not there.
But sounds like it would be close to level in a standard tariff without the price cap shield.

Still. No one should be on a standard with an eV!
The thing is a Model Y in winter real world milage is around 220miles if you consider winter/cold weather months. Meaning that the 570 miles in the desiel I get for instance that would be £101 then if that was price. And so my desiel is less at £94 for the tank (52ltr x £1.809) so deffo should not be on standard.

Definitely reaching parity now for EVs if on a standard tariff, I've got a 1.6 diesel Insignia that easily does 65mpg (more if I'm really light footed), from an 80 quid fill up if doing motorway driving around a 650 mile range (I reckon if I did a full tank on motorway driving exclusively light footed it really wouldn't surprise me if I could get near 900 miles). That's on a car that cost me 11k (2nd hand 2.5 year old) , vs the 30/40 odd k of an EV (appreciate this is the new price, but 2nd hand at a similar age are not much different).

Definitely reaching parity now for EVs if on a standard tariff, I've got a 1.6 diesel Insignia that easily does 65mpg (more if I'm really light footed), from an 80 quid fill up if doing motorway driving around a 650 mile range (I reckon if I did a full tank on motorway driving exclusively light footed it really wouldn't surprise me if I could get near 900 miles). That's on a car that cost me 11k (2nd hand 2.5 year old) , vs the 30/40 odd k of an EV (appreciate this is the new price, but 2nd hand at a similar age are not much different).

Depends on your type of driving as well I guess, on short trips, start/stop traffic and low speed the EV will be more effecient (and also doesn't have a DPF to clog :p)

Back
Top Bottom