Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Depends on your type of driving as well I guess, on short trips, start/stop traffic and low speed the EV will be more effecient (and also doesn't have a DPF to clog :p)

Lots of long distance motorway driving for me, so DPF very safe. I really want to support EVs and my intention was to get one next........but definitely not in the current climate.

It really grates me though, I'd love to able to run a cleaner car for the 20 odd k miles I do year, but this is down to the government to make if worthwhile financially (current situation needs resolving, but the making of this in my view is purely down to really bad future planning over the last 25 years by the current and past governments).

I suppose if you've got the means to charge via solar or on a cheap tariff I can still see the benefit.

Unleaded is down to £1.50 here now.
We have diesels. But on a 60l tank we do well.over 500 miles so for both cars we fill up once a month on average which isn't too bad. But diesel is 1.79 near me. :(

I think I'm right in saying that on a long journey a diesel is still more efficient than an ev? In terms of pence per mile? Or is that wrong.

Price of diesel is likely to remain quite high.

Unfortunately.

Can't afford to change to a PHEV or a hybrid petrol. We're not ready for EV yet although our second car could be EV for the local school run and shops but we just can't afford it at the moment. And for 1 fill up a month it isn't worth it. It's £100 or so, to lease an eV we'd have to triple that.

Off-peak EV charging makes a lot of sense, the grid is less busy and there is always some background demand.

Wind picks up at night etc.

We should be encouraging off-peak charging with cost incentives, avoids higher demand in the day.

I would be happy to go battery only if this was to become a thing and not just octopus go where you need an EV (unless you lie and say you have one).

Lets see what Truss will says next week. Probably **** all.

Bit of advice please people.... I am currently seperating from wife (if anyone didnt already know) and we're selling the house in next few months. Current EON contract ends mid October and I've got renewal options. Given I don't want to be in any contracts at moment they have a Next Flex tariff which seems much lower (currently) than what is on a fixed rate or the SVR.

Should I just sign up for this and pray they don't shaft me in month 1 or 2. I hope to be out by first week of November so not even a month of usage.

Unleaded is down to £1.50 here now.
Both Petrol and Diesel gone back up to £1.799 and £1.919 average around here! It had dropped to £1.659 and £1.789 for about a week. At some point it needs to stabilise to around £1.299 and £1.369 which was like peak 2018 figures before falling away and of course crashing in 2020 but that would be longer term expectations over next year I would hope wanted tbh.

Bit of advice please people.... I am currently seperating from wife (if anyone didnt already know) and we're selling the house in next few months. Current EON contract ends mid October and I've got renewal options. Given I don't want to be in any contracts at moment they have a Next Flex tariff which seems much lower (currently) than what is on a fixed rate or the SVR.

Should I just sign up for this and pray they don't shaft me in month 1 or 2. I hope to be out by first week of November so not even a month of usage.

That just looks like current variable cap tariff to me.

One thing I find ironic is that some of the same people who were all over social media supporting the "extinction rebellion" and "just stop oil" etc.. are now up in arms about energy becoming expensive...

Like what do they think would happen if we just stopped oil... and surely this is also a huge incentive for people to insulate their homes and use much less energy in general?

Both Petrol and Diesel gone back up to £1.799 and £1.919 average around here! It had dropped to £1.659 and £1.789 for about a week. At some point it needs to stabilise to around £1.299 and £1.369 which was like peak 2018 figures before falling away and of course crashing in 2020 but that would be longer term expectations over next year I would hope wanted tbh.

Not with the pound getting weaker by the day vs the dollar it won’t unfortunately :(

There are some impressively light footed drivers in this thread.
Well my Ford Kuga 2019 diesel gets 47.1mpg due to my 100 mile round trip being all B-roads with no direct route with any motorway or dual carriage way apart from about 3 miles which is always busy with queues and has clogged roundabouts. When I did the motorway trip to Manchester from Banbury I was closer to 58mpg so all depends on the roads tbh. Same driving etc. Add the aircon on and my 47.1mpg drops to about 45mpg. Not sure how compares to others but for a reasonably large car with smallish 1.6 engine it does pretty well I think.

If I put my foot down and drove a little lead heavy I drop all way down to like 40mpg for very little difference, slightly faster off lights, accelerating faster off roundabouts and just a little more pace on the B roads when clear. Not really worth it but I expect that would be closer to how the majority drive.

Not as good as my older Renault Scenic which did the work drive at about 52mpg but that was horrible to drive, not as comfortable, way more noisy etc and so I expect the extra weight and sound proofing is mostly reason for distance than anything. In my friends diesel golf I drove to pick up from airport so pretty much all motorway it was reading back 68mpg.

i doubt EV manufacturers are subsidising it tbh (they may be paying for the special Go which is only for certain manufacturers) but not generic Go.

happy to be corrected but they can't make EVs fast enough at the moment with up to 12 month waiting lists car depending so I don't see the need from the EV manufacturers.

also if I was gonna be cynical... I dare say the old guard car sellers would be happy to sell fossil burners if they can.
If the tariff was sustainable without subsidy then it wouldnt be EV only in my opinion so someone must be putting something in to pay for it, and the new greener variant is limited to certain manufacturers.

Reason I say this is, is Agile, that has hourly rates based on wholesale pricing and at off peak hours it goes nowhere near 7.5p.

Just checked and:

3900Kwh for electricity - and this is to go down a bit as we’ve switched every bulb to LED and disconnected a 20 year old fridge freezer that was keeping nothing cold in the basement

21000Kwh for gas - this is high but we had a baby last year and the heating was on 21c for long periods of time. This is also pre log burner and double glazing / roof insulation

So £1092 for electricity and £1554 for gas

With £400 discount and £250 credit that’s £166 a month on previous usage which was or should be quite a bit higher and what I explained to them.

What Surveyor has said......

You've worked out the cost at the current price cap rates (except you've forgotten to add the electricity standing charge). If you're on the standard variable rate your annual usage would cost around £5,400 from 1 October. Less £400 and £250 that's £4,750 or £396/month.

So they are already giving you a lot of leeway @ £325 a month.

Even if you manage to cut your useage down considerably to;

elec = 2900kwh a year
gas = 12,000kwh a year

you're bill would still be £300 a month.

Back
Top Bottom