Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've known a couple of people who found the electric meter on their house was actually for the neighbour. Both cases appeared have been a construction error and that way since the houses were built.

I've also known someone who bought a house and found eventually it was the neighbour's garage that was the idle load on the house - in that case it looked deliberate but couldn't tell how long it been happening !
A new build?

Anyone installed solar panels lately?

At this point a small loan would pay for them while giving you extra money in the bank.

Past two months £165 quid in electricity
I am a huge solar fanboy. my medium sized system has beaten every goal I had for it this last 14 months but don't expect much from it November -Februrary
it is the home battery which will save you the money in these months but only IF you can get on a good off peak tarrif like Go or equivalent

I find it amazing that certain types suddenly start quoting Germany, with its 40x the UKs gas storage as being bad. German energy policy is a mess. Lets not forget a big chunk of their infrastructure came from behind the iron curtain!
As is most of Europe a mess
As is the US. Even as a net exporter.

Everyone seems to have a poor national energy strategy since everyone is basically reliant on the sorts of states we don't want to.

The UK is working with our neighbours, moving energy around to benefit all. We really REALLY don't want Europe trying to outcompete each other for energy. The same small minded thinking being displayed by many here.
The UK has very very low storage but at a consequence very high processing of LNG to "normal" gas (ie enough to produce to supply demand in real time), where as the Eu is generally the opposite. As part of the cooperation the UK is supplying gas to help fill the storage in the EU.
I would not be under any doubt the deal is the opposite can happen if necessary.

Sure - for the customers they had at that point in time.
What about new customers that joined a supplier from March, right up to today?! No supplier buys energy a year in advance, for customers they didn’t have. Hence why new fixed deals are not at Feb prices.
I understand what you're saying but I just don't believe the blame game that seems to be profiteering to help shareholders.

Forgot to quote so @ Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

indeed.....
The thing which i dont get is people posting about this like it is an outrage that Russia are doing this. I mean, its disgraceful what is going on and Russia have to be put in their place or we will all pay a price.
But of all the things they are doing, this is the one thing which i fully get and shoe on the other foot I would do the same.

IF Russia can survive without the EU money why on earth would they supply us with energy? This is on us (everyone not siding with Russia) to get through this and learn what really was an obvious lesson........... Dont rely on Russia - or any single country really - for an essential commodity like energy because you give them a huge trump card.

but given the Sanctions placed on Russia (for good reason) why wouldnt they respond by turning the taps off.... surely everyone has to have assumed this would happen.

The West has to take its raps now imo, get through the next few years as best as we can and remove our reliance on them long term. Maybe if Russia sorts its house out and things settle the EU can do business with them again one day, but not rely on them.

So Liz's energy plan is to add £130bn of debt to freeze energy prices. Nice.

I would urge caution at this point. Its not known for sure until Thursday

As someone said, I suspect an element of mini leaks to see the feedback.

Its looking like she is going to cut down the money tree and burn it.

New party logo needed asap shes chopped the bloody tree down!!!

I wonder if she'll turn out to be Agent Liz and actually turn the Tories into the Lib Dems. I mean, she is a remainer and a former Lib Dem - what if she's been play acting all this time? :D

It seems pretty clear she is going to freeze the domestic rates at their current cap. It’s also likely caps will come in for commercial rates. Sounds like some national insurance and income tax changes coming as well.

So Liz's energy plan is to add £130bn of debt to freeze energy prices. Nice.

I think she's going a tad too far with that tbh.. we're going to risk blackouts this winter now, maybe an increase in the subsidy would be warranted but capping prices removes all responsibility from individuals.

Why do all units have to cost the same?

For domestic, the first “x” number of units should be at one hard-capped, affordable rate and then everything above that at market rate.

Initial thoughts is x = some quantity at which an average household can cook, clean and heat some of their home.

If you have a larger home, swimming pool, or have invested in efficiency measures then this is accounted for.

You can’t accommodate everyone with one rule but this feels like it’d cover a majority and is clear and simple to follow and budget for. Thoughts?

Why do all units have to cost the same?

For domestic, the first “x” number of units should be at one hard-capped, affordable rate and then everything above that at market rate.

Initial thoughts is x = some quantity at which an average household can cook, clean and heat some of their home.

If you have a larger home, swimming pool, or have invested in efficiency measures then this is accounted for.

You can’t accommodate everyone with one rule but this feels like it’d cover a majority and is clear and simple to follow and budget for. Thoughts?

Are you thinking ongoing, or for the short term?

Back
Top Bottom