Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Surely if there is a cap that is ultimately paid for by tax payers, then the "rich" (or what you perceive to be rich ie 40/45% tax payers) will be paying disproportionately more back for it ? So actually your goal of the "rich" supporting the poor is actually happening?

I'm interested in how this energy cap subsidy will be paid back?

- Through increased income taxes?
- An increased energy Standing Charge?
- An increased energy kWh unit cost?

Having installed solar panels to avoid higher energy costs, i'm hoping it's added to the unit cost. [People with solar use less]. I really don't want to be paying more back on income tax or SC, to recover the use of other people's energy.

- Through increased income taxes?
- An increased energy Standing Charge?
- An increased energy kWh unit cost?

Having installed solar panels to avoid higher energy costs, i'm hoping it's added to the unit cost. [People with solar use less]. I really don't want to be paying more back on income tax or SC, to recover the use of other people's energy.
Almost definitely standing charge. Can’t be making those who use more pay proportionally more! They’d only be able to heat their swimming pools to 25c, not 30!

Edit. I've just read someone earning 100k could benefit by 6k with the new tax rules!

That's horrendous when the country is falling apart. And inflation is rampant

Have these been announced then?

it sounds like its a loan from the government to cover the difference between the cap and the rate they want to set, the loan (may) will need to be paid back and that'll most likely be done by putting the bills up later down the line when wholesale isn't so expensive...

Labour have so much ammunition. But this "gift" to the people may well hoodwink a large proportion of the country.

Maybe large enough
I don't think it will as a large proportion of the country were struggling months ago, they're still going to struggle even with the "gift", the "gift" only really helps those in top 30% of earners really, it's going to be a struggle for any household earning at or less than the average wage

To be fair, it is frozen well below the £3.5k it was due to hit in 3 weeks time. Yes it's still significantly higher than this time last year, but the lower the cap, the longer (& more) we end up having to pay back

I think people need to get over the fact that £1200 yearly bills are gone for many many years, possibly never to return to that level again, no matter who's in power.

it sounds like its a loan from the government to cover the difference between the cap and the rate they want to set, the loan (may) will need to be paid back and that'll most likely be done by putting the bills up later down the line when wholesale isn't so expensive...

Yep - it's the 'how' putting bills up will work that i'm interested to know.

Fracking will save us.

Much interest and concern has been expressed about the potential for shale gas production in the UK, particularly because the country’s production of natural gas from conventional reserves no longer meets domestic demand (typically 70–80 billion cubic metres per year).

A review published in March 2020 by Warwick Business School of a range of ‘resource estimates’ and production forecasts produced by the industry organisation UK Onshore Oil and Gas calculated that UK fracking might produce between 90 and 330 billion cubic metres (bcm) of natural gas between 2020 and 2050.

But of course as the Chancellor said Cuadrilla etc won't be selling that to the UK below market rate.

Back
Top Bottom