Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I know people who were paying more than £2500/year before these rises, is that a hard cap on everything or are there caveats?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think fracking is one the quickest ways for us to increase the amount of energy available.
it is terrible news imo................ solar farms getting planning permission refused at the same time as greenlighting frakking - something that just weeks ago kwarteng himself said was absolutely the wrong thing to do.

i just hope the lifting of the ban is a technicality but that local opposition means it still does not happen.

Vladimir Putin is doing more for the future of the human race and global warming than green levies and using other people's gas instead of our own has ever done. He's going to get a Nobel Prize for accidental humanitarian genius eventually. Hopefully posthumously.
This is true.

The only benefit of the war. But in 50 years. It may well be looked at as a turning point

I'd have hoped it was a condition of the free money from government that all exit fees are voided.

Hence my initial query about the energy companies being on board with it (or as @Manbatius points out, were even aware of it before this point :p)

I know people who were paying more than £2500/year before these rises, is that a hard cap on everything or are there caveats?

It's the same as the existing caps - so not a cap on the absolute amount you pay, just the unit rate and standing charge. If you use more than the fictional average household then you will pay more.
Or the fact that the energy companies obscure figures making it hard to work out

Do you have an example of an energy company obscuring figures? As far as I'm aware since 2014 all suppliers have had to provide their tariff details in a standard format (Tariff Information Label), so if you've found one which isn't doing so you should report them to Ofgem

The £2,500 price is for 'typical use'.

Typical use is :
- 2,900 kWh of electricity
- 12,000 kWh of gas

The kWh unit cost is capped, not your bill. Use more kWh pay more, use less kWh pay less !

It's a good price point for a cap I feel.

I do not agree with
-lowering taxes (benefits rich most)
-method of cap (benefits rich/high users) most
-cap is being paid for by us effectively.

So its 2 years? This seems redundant? If prices are still high then it has to continue surely?

Surely if there is a cap that is ultimately paid for by tax payers, then the "rich" (or what you perceive to be rich ie 40/45% tax payers) will be paying disproportionately more back for it ? So actually your goal of the "rich" supporting the poor is actually happening?

If only Carlsberg did ... Europe windfall fix on renewables generation. V Keir can stick it to Truss

In draft proposals seen by the Financial Times, the European Commission recommends governments impose a levy on revenues generated by non-gas electricity producers when market prices exceed €200/MWh. The current spot price for electricity in Germany, the regional benchmark, is above €450/MWh. Excess revenues would be redistributed to help companies and households.

Surely if there is a cap that is ultimately paid for by tax payers, then the "rich" (or what you perceive to be rich ie 40/45% tax payers) will be paying disproportionately more back for it ? So actually your goal of the "rich" supporting the poor is actually happening?

Not really. Not enough.
Every tax cut is going to be more debt. And with the tax cuts coming in saving the rich 1000s in some cases, and capping like this (also saving the richest 1000s) you're effectively burdening the entire country with a higher contribution by the rich compared to what could have happened.

No tax cut. A tiered energy unit price.

Someone earning 100k Could easily benefit by several 1000 with this. I don't think that's right when interest rates on borrowing are increasing and our national debt interest alone is 100bln (I think)

Back
Top Bottom