Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Were sharply heading in the 1980's direction at this rate.

I remember my parents telling me at one point they had a monumental interest rate back then. We are heading into AVG Joe having not much disposable income territory. Scary place to be.

10kWh usage a year is *very* high for a 1 bed. Do you have all electric heating or grow weed or something?

Yes, the heating is all electric, there's no gas. I don't know what else could account for it. Washing machine gets used quite a lot, it has a dryer too. But it still seems like a lot. Maybe the combi boiler too? No idea.

Yes, the heating is all electric, there's no gas. I don't know what else could account for it. Washing machine gets used quite a lot, it has a dryer too. But it still seems like a lot. Maybe the combi boiler too? No idea.

The main culprit will be the electric heating I'm afraid - plus things like the dryer part of the washing machine. Anything that turns electric into heat is inefficient and costly with electric usage.

The main culprit will be the electric heating I'm afraid - plus things like the dryer part of the washing machine. Anything that turns electric into heat is inefficient and costly with electric usage.

Just being pedantic, but turning electric to heat is generally 100% efficient :p I know what you mean though, its from a cost/generation perspective (ie why burn gas at a powerplant for 30% conversion of heat to electric, go through transmission losses then convert than back into heat. You could just burn the gas at destination directly for heat and get 90%+ of that heat).

If gas is not available this is one of those where an air source heat pump is the most worthwhile.

Just being pedantic, but turning electric to heat is generally 100% efficient :p

It wouldn't be an online forum if we didn't have pedantic corrections! But I like to be accurate so I accept your correction with thanks :)

TBH, you make a good point as when I was thinking about his heating being all electric I had in mind the old storage heaters, electric bar fires etc but in todays world it could have been a heat exchanger, which are highly efficient afaiaw (go on correct me again! ;) ) but then his usage probably wouldn't be 10K kWh a year with one of those.

This is for me the big ball breaker. I'm watching very closely what the direction of travel is on this.

Looks like 1.5-2pc at least by year end

Excpet inflation isnt people buying tat. Its base cost of living.

Yep, I cannot see this doing much, at least not in a way to help the average person on the street. Raising the cost of borrowing could actually cause more inflation if producers of goods are borrowing to keep business moving.

10k kWh per year use for 1 bed is insane usage !!
That's more than us in a 4 bed, with an electric vehicle and two fish tanks with electric heaters going 24/7.

You need to review your heating requirements or buy some thicker t-Shirts :p

:: EDIT::
ahh, your the person who posted back in late Feb in this thread.
Seriously - you need to reduce your use and reliance on that heating !!

Yep, I cannot see this doing much, at least not in a way to help the average person on the street. Raising the cost of borrowing could actually cause more inflation if producers of goods are borrowing to keep business moving.

Yeah won't make a difference to anything at a consumer level apart from increased borrowing. Anyone with massive savings in a bank account (rather than shares etc) will get a boost. But overall its just another additional cost for most.

It wouldn't be an online forum if we didn't have pedantic corrections! But I like to be accurate so I accept your correction with thanks :)

TBH, you make a good point as when I was thinking about his heating being all electric I had in mind the old storage heaters, electric bar fires etc but in todays world it could have been a heat exchanger, which are highly efficient afaiaw (go on correct me again! ;) ) but then his usage probably wouldn't be 10K kWh a year with one of those.

You are right that its most likely one of those old-style electric heating systems (I’m assuming based on usage and also they referred to having a combi, electric presumably). With heat pumps they generally refer to the efficiencies in terms of COP value/ratio, ie if you input 1kW of energy what do you get out? Most good systems should be a COP of around 3, 1kW of electric in, 3kW of heat energy extracted from the air and into the building. The COP is an average so it changes based on temperature differentials (becoming less able to extract heat, so uses more energy the greater the difference).

I'd for sure look into an air source heat pump if i was using direct electric to heating systems and you planned to live there long enough to see return on investment! (Especially if the government is subsidising some of it as they have been doing)

This is for me the big ball breaker. I'm watching very closely what the direction of travel is on this.

Looks like 1.5-2pc at least by year end

Excpet inflation isnt people buying tat. Its base cost of living.
I believe a lot of it is due to supply chain issues, but the government are not doing anything significant to deal with the issue or to soften the blow and are hellbent on their hard Brexit. Interest rate rises do not deal with the root causes.

Last edited:

Dryers cost about £1 per cycle they are very expensive to run.

I live in a 2 bed with electric heating and only use around 4,500KW/h.

It sounds like you would be a prime candidate for a heat pump and solar panels.

Back
Top Bottom