Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Talk about poor timing by Sky, most of my friends and colleagues are saying that the first thing that they are getting rid of, to counterbalance the energy costs, will be their Sky and today a later comes through from Sky saying that they are raising their prices at the beginning of April. Only by a couple of quid, depending upon which channels you have, but even so given that it seems Sky is a common first disposal item you'd think they wouldnt raise them right now as it will make those people pondering on it even more likely to drop it.

Talk about poor timing by Sky, most of my friends and colleagues are saying that the first thing that they are getting rid of, to counterbalance the energy costs, will be their Sky and today a later comes through from Sky saying that they are raising their prices at the beginning of April. Only by a couple of quid, depending upon which channels you have, but even so given that it seems Sky is a common first disposal item you'd think they wouldnt raise them right now as it will make those people pondering on it even more likely to drop it.

The problem is sky have their sports right bills to pay, so they typically offset their loss of customers with price increases, it will eventually kill them unless they can reverse that trend at some point.

Germany also has lower VAT than us last time I looked. Our income tax may be lower but I'm pretty sure we pay more through other taxes. There is literally no reason to cut income tax and fuel duty other than to hand money to higher earners as its a larger proportion of their income, lower earners will be paying proportionately more for energy and other essentials.

We objectively raise less from taxes than those other two countries. Some of their headlines rates may be lower but it’s not that simple. There are so many allowances and rules around what is and isn’t taxable to consider so you can’t just look at one thing.

The objective measure is tax as a % of GDP, they raise more, a lot more in some cases.

I’d suggest having a read of this:
https://www.oecd.org/tax/revenue-statistics-united-kingdom.pdf

There are some outliers but generally speaking the U.K. is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to taxation.

If we take the half way point 12 month fix, then at any given point half of the fixed customers will be on a renewal of 6 months or longer, in which case shortening the period of price caps review is not going to affect the providers ability to raise prices for those people. So lowering the review period gains less and less for companies whos primary customers are on 12 month fixes.

In regard to customers being savvy, i'm not sure you read it correctly. The assumption is based on the comments of the person i quoted and is not about all customers. It's about customers with relatively new to market energy providers which would tend to compromise of people that are savvy due to the fact they are switching regularly to obtain the best prices (because why would you switch to a provider that didn't give the best prices?) and then their comment about savvy people being more likely to be fixed. Which your example seems to reinforce as yourself recommended a fix to your mother?

Sorry, yes you're right, I misread the part about the energy providers being new :)

Yeah, ours has gone up by £4 (just under 10%) - unfortunately we still have 12 months left in the contract but we're definitely considering whether we will renew when the time comes given all of the other rising costs...

Germany also has lower VAT than us last time I looked. Our income tax may be lower but I'm pretty sure we pay more through other taxes.

Take home pay as % of gross on typical incomes is much higher in the UK than in Germany. I know this because I have six years of German paycheques and tax returns.

In return for your higher taxes, you get to live in a country that isn't in constant decline with crumbling public services. It's quite nice actually.

The problem is sky have their sports right bills to pay, so they typically offset their loss of customers with price increases, it will eventually kill them unless they can reverse that trend at some point.

i think Sky are about to take a serious Hit in the coming months as I can see many people viewing them as the first service to drop when they start reviewing monthly bills.

i don’t see how sky can survive with their current business model

I agree in regards sky
They disrupted the normal TV model, what 35 years ago now (?)
They haven't really adapted since, they aren't up with their competitors now and yet the cost is pretty bonkers

I have no love for them, their paying such OTT amounts for sports has IMO hurt many of the sports over time.
Great whilst all the initial fans switch to paying, but over time they get far less new fans if their public availability to stumble across them is hampered by being behind a paywall.
(cricket being an example)

I must be on my own, but I think the price sky charge is fine, I watch lots of sport and enjoy the recordings I set.

My main complaint is the football leagues stopping playing at the drop of a hat, I get one week with loads of games followed by none.

To add and sky do 4k hdr, bbc do it sometimes on iplayer. itv, c4, c5 never do it, hopeless.

James Murdoch's blind overbidding was so crazy what he did to them. You could see from 2017 all the layoffs starting from sound technicians, camera crew, news readers and whatnot filtering through. Yet look what they lost to BT.

I must be on my own, but I think the price sky charge is fine, I watch lots of sport and enjoy the recordings I set.

My main complaint is the football leagues stopping playing at the drop of a hat, I get one week with loads of games followed by none.

To add and sky do 4k hdr, bbc do it sometimes on iplayer. itv, c4, c5 never do it, hopeless.

They're mostly on BT Sport.

Been reading on the local facebook pages that some garages (BP was mentioned in particular) were putting the price of diesel up by 6p today (179.9 to 185.9), completely undoing any benefit from the duty reduction tomorrow.

i think Sky are about to take a serious Hit in the coming months as I can see many people viewing them as the first service to drop when they start reviewing monthly bills.
wondering how we can live without a netflix subscription for the new woke++ Bridgerton series, apparently now with an added Indian ingrediant (... albeit aren't Indians supporting Putin )

--------

discussion on implication of energy prices for airlines O'leary's got to be suffering, assuming they can't pass it on somehow

For Delta Air Lines to fully recover, the company needed to have a seamless increase in travel demand and substantial profits that could be used to pay down debt and raise working capital. Instead, the company is faced with a potential 10-15% increase in total expenses. This estimate is based on the fact that fuel costs make up ~20% of total costs for airlines today, down from 32% in 2012. Today, oil's price is roughly the same as it was in 2012, so it follows that fuel costs will quickly return to around the 32%+ level (for unhedged airlines). Of course, if oil rises to $185 as JPMorgan (JPM) suspects, then I believe we would see a wave of airline bankruptcies akin to that of 2008-2010.

Just survival of the fittest. Don't know why people are moaning. Get a better job if you can't afford the luxury you want.
Say that to most the country on minimum wage/unemployed/disabled/sick/elderly. Its not easy as just get a new job there are only a finite number of opportunities, greedy companies and individual circumstances. What a horrible thing to say to the many people who are going to have to choose between being warm and eating or have neither.

Last edited:
Just survival of the fittest. Don't know why people are moaning. Get a better job if you can't afford the luxury you want.

What luxuries though. I don't have any and internet is not a luxury, I work from home twice a week and so needed for work. I have sim only mobile on a 4yr old handset to save costs.

So my outgoings:
  • Mortgage
  • council tax
  • gas
  • electric
  • water
  • car insurance
  • car tax
  • fuel
  • basic food shop
  • child maintenance
  • internet
  • mobile phone
I am on a good wage, single owner of property and those are my total outgoings with a clapped out old car I brought for £1500 and nothing else as luxuries on a monthly basis. I have already cut off to try and make my life viable and enjoy going out with my children on the weekends. I have to rent out my spare room to my best mate to help cover bills to live because of the cost increase has far outstripped the pay rises over the last 5yrs. But for what I have cut out, well:
  • Audible
  • Spotify
  • Disney
  • Netflix
  • Prime
  • getting new mobile contracts
  • motorcycle - process of being sold to cover further costs, take away insurance cost, fuel cost, tax cost, mot cost and general maintenance
  • Sky
  • TV Licence
  • Beer sub
  • Going out to restaurants
  • Any take away at all
And yet I will still struggle with these rise in costs come April. You're an a**hat to just call people out like that tbh.

Back
Top Bottom