Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I've been trying to compare tariffs but they all seem to want a bunch of personal information so they can spam me or do god-knows-what with it.
uswitch doesn't want so much information - i did not create an account , can just enter a neighbours address, and it keeps the info in browser cookies.

... but yes you have to copy the unit rates into a spreadsheet to see what's what. (but I suppose <1% of population use excel)

edit: migration from npower->bulb now complete.
npower final bill curiously charged me my old tarif rates(much better than bulb), as opposed to their std tarif, even though tarif ran out end of june

Soldato

edit: migration from npower->bulb now complete.
npower final bill curiously charged me my old tarif rates(much better than bulb), as opposed to their std tarif, even though tarif ran out end of june

That’s normal as long as you initiate the switch before the old tarif runs out.

Associate
I signed up with bulb towards the beginning of the year. I have to say I have not had to speak to anyone on the phone, the switch over went without any issues and I am saving some money on what I was paying before. They are clearly not the cheapest at the moment but with no exit fees I can leave whenever and over the last few months I have managed to gain a couple of referrals to further help with saving. If anyone is thinking of switching I urge you to check out Uswitch, if bulb comes up in your list, remember you can get a referral code from me or anyone else (feel free to trust me if you want/need a code) which will give you a further £50 saving which after you factor in to your yearly price might actually make it cheaper than some of the others, refer one or two people (I have done a few of the family) and the savings could mount up!

Soldato
with Bulb, and other variable rate contracts, is there an interest to build up a credit against future price prices ?
the energy price increases may well exceed cash retun on the money, only liability is, if they go bust ,
where, it may take a while to get your money back (some iresa folks have concerns)

Need to try and publicise bulb to neighbours too, for the referral bonus - my neigbour opposite said they had been inscripted by adjoining semi.

Soldato
Any body with utility point? They are coming out cheapest for me but I've never heard of them?

E-on comes in second.

Currently with SSE but getting moved onto their standard tariff which will cost a lot more.

Soldato
We have had a change of mind. Was going to go to tonik but bulb is cheaper and with them having no exit fee we will change if it becomes too much.

Any delightful human want to trust me a bulb referral?

Man of Honour
Any body with utility point? They are coming out cheapest for me but I've never heard of them?

E-on comes in second.

Currently with SSE but getting moved onto their standard tariff which will cost a lot more.

I switched over to Utility point from Bulb last month and the switch went smoothly and completed on time. I am saving just over £96 a year on standing charges alone so it made sense for me to move. They have a very good website which is easy to use and have had no problems with meter numbers being wrong or anything. If you want a referral give me a shout and we each get £25 credited to our accounts on your switch completion.

Soldato
Just been doing a bit more digging as the comparison results I was getting where for the standard tariff that I'll be rolled onto and not my current fixed rate tariff.

Seems I'll be paying more for energy this year as I cant find anything as good as my current tariff, not even Bulb is as good as far as I can make out.

Soldato
Just been doing a bit more digging as the comparison results I was getting where for the standard tariff that I'll be rolled onto and not my current fixed rate tariff.

Seems I'll be paying more for energy this year as I cant find anything as good as my current tariff, not even Bulb is as good as far as I can make out.
I guess there's not much point in comparing to last year's deals, other than on a pure-interest level.

I'm electric-only and Bulb wasn't quite the cheapest, but the £50 sign-up credit made it so (including taking into account any cashback available on the others). No exit fees mean that I'll just move elsewhere if it gets uncompetitive.

Associate
I'm currently with SSE on their standard tariff for gas and electricity and looking to leave due to the price increase in July. I have looked at the MSE Cheap Energy Club but was wondering is a fixed price tariff or standard the better option?

Before the standard tariff with SSE, I was on their fixed price tariff but we keep getting power cuts so that threw me off going with a fixed price tariff but not sure if that is the same with other companies.

Soldato
SSE are nothing to do with power cuts, that’s the grid.

The energy ‘supplier’ are merely a a vehicle to pay for the energy you use. They have very little do with the actual infrastructure and can not control power cuts.

P.S. change tariff, standard ones from the big 6 are a really expensive.

Soldato
Yes the bulb email is a bit ingratiating - good guy / bad guy.
So they don't have the capital/confidence/experience to buy far out on the futures market (3months lol) ?
is there an online record of their historic price changes .. or I just have to record them personally.

You might have seen in the news that Ofgem increased its price cap again this year because wholesale energy costs have continued to rise. We wanted to reassure you that we don’t need to increase our prices yet as we buy our energy 3 months in advance.
However, if energy prices remain high, there’s a chance we might have to increase our prices in November. If we do, we promise to give you 60 days notice. We never charge exit fees, so you can leave at any time with zero cost.
  • Wholesale electricity and gas costs are 5% higher than they were in June
  • Despite low gas use, demand to put gas into storage for winter remains high, keeping gas prices high
  • Hot weather has affected nuclear and wind generators across Europe, pushing electricity prices up

Man of Honour
Glad I left Bulb then. If they go ahead with another price rise in November that will be the 3rd this year. While their price increases are fairly small when compared to the big six at the end of the day it all adds up and their standing charge was quite expensive for me although it isn't included in price rises. With BG just announcing yet another price rise my move to Utility Point on a cheaper fixed tariff was a good move. I dread to think what the prices may be like this time next year when my fixed term is up though.

Associate
SSE are nothing to do with power cuts, that’s the grid.

The energy ‘supplier’ are merely a a vehicle to pay for the energy you use. They have very little do with the actual infrastructure and can not control power cuts.

P.S. change tariff, standard ones from the big 6 are a really expensive.
Me and my next door neighbour were on SSE but different tariff (fixed and standard) but when we had power cuts they didn't and still had power so I guess we are on different grid.

Do I need to give my 30 days notice to SSE before switching to a different supplier?

Soldato
Me and my next door neighbour were on SSE but different tariff (fixed and standard) but when we had power cuts they didn't and still had power so I guess we are on different grid.

Not different grid, often neighbouring houses are on different phases, and when a power cut happens its usually one phase that has gone down.

Back
Top Bottom