Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
I use about twice as many kwhs of gas over electric, and I use a fair bit of electric (8 bay Nas on 24/7, big tv with 5.1 speakers, powerful pc etc?. Are you sure this checks out given most of your bill is gas?

i have several big tv's (55inch, 50 inch and a 43 inch, I also have 2 x 27 inch pc monitors), i also have monitor audio 5.1 surround system with a bk xxls 400 subwoofer and a top of the range yamaha amp, etc. i also have yamaha soundbar in bedroom, etc.

i have led grow lights. smart lights. smart thermostat. smart smoke and carbon monoxide monitors. i have wireless speakers in kitchen. i have 2 powerful pc's. a console. 2 tablets, 2 smartphones, etc. basically i have a shedload of electronics. i have 4 powerline adapters, a router, a modem, a wireless extender. 2 laptops.

the reason why my bill is so low is because of smart thermostat. smart plugs. led lights. energy efficient appliances.

everything in my home is top of the range most energy efficient model (fridge freezer, washing machine, etc.). all lights are dumb led's bar 2 smart led's. smart led's consume more power than dumb led's.

the 2 most expensive things in the home are heating air/water and lighting.

heating air/water - minimise kettle use to what is needed. minimise use of electric heating. use eco cycles on dishwashers and washing machines. avoid use of tumble dryer if you can. i gave mine away and now i dry clothes in the spare bathroom on a drying rack. it has a duct to the roof which lets humidity escape.

i also have my samsung fridge set to 1C whereas most set them to 5C and i still use little leccy because it's efficient. I like my beers ice cold.

basically you need to go round your home and make it more efficient. you also live in fareham i live in glasgow. here it's around 5C colder all year round. so I should be using more gas than you. i live in a detached home built around 97-99.

is your loft insulated? cavity wall insulated? is your hot water tank insulated?

Soldato
Sorry maybe you misconstrued my question it wasn't around how well insulated or not your house is, but you mentioned your new bill was 1p more per kwh of gas and 3/4 of your bill was gas usage, so you made a saving on standing charges but are spending more per unit, and if 3/4 of your usage is gas the cheaper electric won't have as much impact on your costs.

I worked out last night that I had used around 3000 kwh of electric for the year, and around 5300 kwh of gas (500 odd m3). Not all that surprising as I have gas CH and a hot water tank. 3 bed link detached house but I think my gas usage is reasonably low compared to national averages for a similar property size.

Caporegime
Sorry maybe you misconstrued my question it wasn't around how well insulated or not your house is, but you mentioned your new bill was 1p more per kwh of gas and 3/4 of your bill was gas usage, so you made a saving on standing charges but are spending more per unit, and if 3/4 of your usage is gas the cheaper electric won't have as much impact on your costs.

I worked out last night that I had used around 3000 kwh of electric for the year, and around 5300 kwh of gas (500 odd m3). Not all that surprising as I have gas CH and a hot water tank. 3 bed link detached house but I think my gas usage is reasonably low compared to national averages for a similar property size.

so 5300 x 1p = £53

£53 / 12 = £4.41 per month if i used the same amount of gas as you

in fact my deal is ending so i'm using the wrong prices.

if i use the new prices i can get then i am paying 0.47p more per kwh of gas than i would elsewhere. however i am 5p per kwh cheaper on leccy. i am also around £5-8 cheaper a month on standing charges.

it works out £4 a month cheaper for me than elsewhere. however i have no exit fees. so if their gas increases a lot i can switch gas to elsewhere.

Soldato
going fixed can be judicious, and short term savings on a variable can be wiped out.
Bulb currently offer to buy you out, so cynically can gamble on a long term fixed and revert to bulb if necessary.

the fixed (pre-brexit) npower I had unitl last month was better than they all are now, wish I had taken out a longer fixed term;
are there any long term projections on winter severity ?
I suppose these would be accomodated in the gas/electric futures market, if that is accessible to mortals.

Soldato
so 5300 x 1p = £53

£53 / 12 = £4.41 per month if i used the same amount of gas as you

in fact my deal is ending so i'm using the wrong prices.

if i use the new prices i can get then i am paying 0.47p more per kwh of gas than i would elsewhere. however i am 5p per kwh cheaper on leccy. i am also around £5-8 cheaper a month on standing charges.

it works out £4 a month cheaper for me than elsewhere. however i have no exit fees. so if their gas increases a lot i can switch gas to elsewhere.

Makes sense, but your kwh usage may differ from mine, I believe my bill is roughly 60% electric 40% gas. Have you worked it out based on your actual usage figures?

Caporegime
Makes sense, but your kwh usage may differ from mine, I believe my bill is roughly 60% electric 40% gas. Have you worked it out based on your actual usage figures?

i popped them all into MSE energy saving club and it says outfox is the cheapest by £4 a year for duel fuels. but my usage last year was high due to crazy 3 feet of snow. it was a bad winter.

i can save around £30 a year if use 2 different suppliers for gas and leccy. which i don't want to have the hassle of. i'd rather have both from the same place.

Associate
Just completed a few days ago and looking for a new energy supplier. Bulb seems to be cheapest at the moment as per MSE. Can someone please trust me a referral link ? Presuming the £50 off for referral is still going.

Soldato
unbelievable .. anyone see this joke of a programme dragons den -

some online company automatically switching people once a year amongst the subset of energy companies that company chooses to do business with. (probably not bulb)
.. and they injected £150K for 3% of their business, after usual farce/pseudo 'bidding' 'war'

I thought better energy companies were already telling you about better deals, and, although the compare energy sites may not be the best designed
(need a seprate excel to see what's what imhop) do we need additional middle-men. ?

Also - interesting article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...G-customers-trying-switch-cheaper-rivals.html
substantiating some of earlier switching problems posts
Some 837,000 switches were delayed for 'invalid reasons' last year, says Ofgem.
One of the big reasons for failure is out-of-date record keeping by energy suppliers. Separate research suggests this causes more than 500,000 switching failures a year – leaving customers stuck paying more than they need to for longer. There are two central databases holding meter numbers for every household in the UK – one each for gas and electricity.

Man of Honour
I have had my first monthly statement from Utility Point and have saved £12.63 compared with what I would have been billed with Bulb. Same number of days and slightly more units of electricity too so I am very happy with my move. I got £25 for switching as well. Utility Point's current fixed deal is more expensive than the one I signed up on so the timing was good.

Caporegime
Well I've just had a great time changing from British Gas to First Utility.
The electricity reading from the smart metre that was being sent to British Gas was 200KWh less than the real physical metre when I checked it.

They tried billing me 48 pound for 3 days of electricity as I supplied the real reading to First Utility completely unaware that there was an issue.

Managed to get British Gas to refund me 35 quid.

The reason for having a smart metre is to avoid something like this entirely surely?

At least, that's the only way I can perceive what I've experienced as I went from using ~150KWh in 17 days to ~300KWh in 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom