Energy Suppliers

My brother in laws deal ends this month he’s on 15p electric and 2.6p gas. He’s just going to have to go with the new caps from April. I did warn him in December but he didn’t do anything about it. Could have got a decent deal compared to the new caps.

If £320 is April and they expect 20% in October, how do you get to £600 a month?

Maybe this is a opportunity for a lot of people to try and save energy, lights off, heating on less, turn off empty rooms, stop using tumble driers as much etc.

If £320 is April and they expect 20% in October, how do you get to £600 a month?

Maybe this is a opportunity for a lot of people to try and save energy, lights off, heating on less, turn off empty rooms, stop using tumble driers as much etc.

I didn't know it was 20%, that's the first figure I've heard about.

I don't know what else I can do to save energy.

Every bulb in the house is LED. Lights are only switched on in the rooms being used.
We have no tumble dryer, everything is air dried.

Thermostats on every radiator compatible with them. Switched to lowest level in the rooms that are hardly used.
Combi boiler (Worcester Bosch) installed about 5 years ago with smart thermostat
New double glazing all round, fitted about 4 years ago.
Every door is shut to keep heat in that room.
The house was built around 1990 and as far as I know is insulated.
Loft is well insulated.

My typical useage will be higher than average because I imagine the average family will be out a good portion of the day at work/school etc, so nothing in the house will be used from 9am - 4pm ish, which will save a chunk of energy.

However I have both my Mum and Step Dad living with me now, who are both in their 70's, as I'm registered as an unpaid carer for my Mum, and more recently my Step Dad too. So the house is in use all day, every day with heating on during the day, when normally it would be off in a typical family household.

The thermostat is set at 21c pretty much from 7am - 11.30am which keeps the house around 20c throughout the daytime until about 5pm when it's boosted back to 21c until about 10.30pm when its dropped to 18c for overnight (which means it never switches on). You have to remember, they feel the cold much more due to age. To top this off I had to drop to part time (28 hours) at work about 3 years ago as trying to juggle a full time job and caring responsibility burnt me out and made me ill.

Don't get me wrong - they help out paying board every month and they give me their winter fuel payment to help out with the bills every year, but it's definitely a struggle, or certainly will be come April, and even worse come October by the sounds of it.

Open the coal power stations, this is all self inflicted pain. Remember that when you either sat at home freezing or starving.

We just did the opposite, we made workers in the Welsh valleys unemployed start of this year banning the mining of traditional coal simply found at the surface. Instead of picking up a natural resource of Anthracite and using it, the tourist steam trains dotted around the country are now having to transport it from Kazakhstan a regime which recently shot their own people protesting a dictatorship.
In extremis coal should be allowed while we also improve far better alternatives, gas is carbon but also its super clean burning in comparison yet we refuse to use UK reserves fully for this also. How is supporting Putin or other iffy regimes more eco then supporting ourselves doesn't add up.

Case if bad maths I think.

Octobers best guess at The moment is 2300. So 300 ppy more than current 2000 figure.

Feel current level. Off point is 2-2.5k and price cap will be there come October.

Next winter is gonna be the bad one.

Indeed. People want green energy but forget it costs more

It doesnt necessarily have to, NIMBYism is just as much to blame as anything else. Mention the word "nuclear" and people immediately think of a 35 year old reactor mismanaged under a soviet regime and panic... Sure, the waste generated isn't ideal, but its no worse than the tonnes of pollution emitted by fossil fuel plants

It's 20 years away isn't it:cry:.
Yea, always is. But even once they do crack it it will take a good 10 or more years to get it up and running. Basically won’t be any time soon sadly.

Wish we would just get more wind and solar installed so we could rely less on other countries. The government should subsidise solar installs and offer FIT or something like that again. Would encourage people to install solar and not need expensive batteries. Would love a system where whatever you export you can use again later on at night when the sun goes down. If not subsidise batteries also.

Yea, always is. But even once they do crack it it will take a good 10 or more years to get it up and running. Basically won’t be any time soon sadly.

Wish we would just get more wind and solar installed so we could rely less on other countries. The government should subsidise solar installs and offer FIT or something like that again. Would encourage people to install solar and not need expensive batteries. Would love a system where whatever you export you can use again later on at night when the sun goes down. If not subsidise batteries also.

You have to laugh though, 'cause there are people on this forum who have bought GPU's for £2500+ and won't pay for solar, which can easily be done for £4k for a 4kW system, and could take 35%+ of the electric bill, especially if used with a ToU tariff, and exporting your unused power at the terrible rate of 5.5p.

GPU's do heat the room though ... not sure what their efficiency is versus a fan heater - have to subtract any active cooling cost too.

Back
Top Bottom