Energy Suppliers

I guess *empathy isn't to be expected if you're alright Jack yourself. Remember, not everyone is gas heating either.
But the government have already put a limit on how much energy companies. An charge customers, look how that ended for most of them. What do you expect. ? Profit from selling wild bean coffee around the world to subsidise U.K. citizens ? Would be curious about the impact of a windfall tax and then a company ends up moving from U.K. to EU ?

But the government have already put a limit on how much energy companies. An charge customers, look how that ended for most of them. What do you expect. ? Profit from selling wild bean coffee around the world to subsidise U.K. citizens ? Would be curious about the impact of a windfall tax and then a company ends up moving from U.K. to EU ?
What is your suggestion to solve old people dying because they can't afford their energy bills?

Im not defending oil companies but it’s worth pointing out that as of 2017 the median (middle) pensioner household has more money than the median working household after housing costs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38957903.amp
So actually it’s working age households that are likely to be impacted more.

It doesn't matter. Poor people are going to die.
Something has to be done. Hopefully this is a wakeup call that uk has to get it's **** together and stop wasting money in garbage like hs2

Imagine if the money for Hs2 went on power infrastructure. Or NHS, or anything else actually useful.

Politics in this country are a disgrace really

There are many mentions of ‘we need to invest in better energy solutions and infrastructure’.
The money for this investment has to come from somewhere.

To be honest I dont care about that at the moment.

Also when it comes to infrastructure, to me investment is solar panels on peoples homes, not investing in private energy companies infrastructure who then use that for profit selling the energy back to us. But of course if you give everyone solar panels, the energy companies dont make so much money selling us the energy, the government dont make their VAT on top of that, and now we know why such a common sense idea isnt done.

I am not saying that investment should be scrapped but it should be suspended, and any government/taxation funded energy investment should be directly aimed at consumers and government entities.

Fully agree with 413x on HS2 money as well.

Last edited:
I got this earlier this week from OVO (1 year fixed):

Electricity
Day unit rate:
18.76p/kWh
Standing charge:
322.58p/day

Gas
Unit rate:
3.68p/kWh
Standing charge:
23.740p/day

I'm assuming there's a typo in your electric standing charge, otherwise that'll work out about £1200 a year just on the standing charge.

OK but it's not like it costs more to provide me energy just because a kwh of electric costs more.

Standing charge shouldn't adjust like this without a good reason.

Yeah I'm surprised more hasn't been questioned on the sharp increases to standing charges.

Wow at the announced changes to try and address the 50% hike, so the Tories are this bad.

They specifically targeted help away from the most vulnerable.

Council tax relief does nothing for the poorest because they either pay no or very little council tax.

Surely you've lived long enough to know the Tories don't care about the poor. They've focused this relief on those who would be more likely to vote for them.

Also when it comes to infrastructure, to me investment is solar panels on peoples homes, not investing in private energy companies infrastructure who then use that for profit selling the energy back to us.
Solar panels sound great but the numbers of years to break even on cost is significant. Even if the price rises 40% above the 1st April price cap, it’s 7-14 years before you start benefiting.

51871175948_fb7b60bc56_z.jpg

Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

Solar panels sound great but the numbers of years to break even on cost is significant. Even if the price rises 40% above the 1st April price cap, it’s 7-14 years before you start benefiting.

51871175948_fb7b60bc56_z.jpg

Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

If government pays for it, people feel those savings as soon as the work is done, but yeah this is a longer term strategy, in the short term there needs to bill subsidies.

, in the short term there needs to bill subsidies.
There are subsidies. These are greater than the yearly savings solar provides.

img

If government pays for it, people feel those savings as soon as the work is done,
That would be some cost ; £4.8k x ~25 million homes (granted some homes would not qualify)
Let’s estimate the cost to be 80% of 25 million homes : £96 billion [for the average household to save £25 a month on their energy bill]

Last edited:
is any subsidy of home solar panels as efficient for the economy as putting the money into commercial infrastructure (offshore wind / nuclear) -
best case, you reduce transmission infrastructure costs a bit.

Problem is few (maybe?) people stay in thier homes 13 years.
If I could
A) take my investment with me
B) add cost of solar to my sale price

I'd absolutely do it.
But A is impossible. And B seems unlikely.

So unfortunately absolutely not worth it for myself and most people.
The outlay is not an issue.

Also when it comes to infrastructure, to me investment is solar panels on peoples homes, not investing in private energy companies infrastructure who then use that for profit selling the energy back to us. But of course if you give everyone solar panels, the energy companies dont make so much money selling us the energy, the government dont make their VAT on top of that, and now we know why such a common sense idea isnt done.

I am not saying that investment should be scrapped but it should be suspended, and any government/taxation funded energy investment should be directly aimed at consumers and government entities.

Fully agree with 413x on HS2 money as well.

Hs2 was disgusting even before any of this. Now it's just salt in the wound.
How can so much money be justified for so little benefit to so few people?

Corruption I guess

There are subsidies. These are greater than the yearly savings solar provides.

img

That would be some cost ; £4.8k x ~25 million homes (granted some homes would not qualify)
Let’s estimate the cost to be 80% of 25 million homes : £96 billion [for the average person to save £25 a month on their energy bill] ?!

I am guessing you havent some of the points raised.

The £200 is a loan, the council tax rebate doesnt help the poorest people as they dont pay council tax, (some but not all) the poorest people already get the warm home discount which is £140 and hasnt been increased in line with the cap increase, it probably should be £300-400 at this point, The bigger winter fuel payment is only available to pensioners. Unless you think only pensioners matter I dont know.

1 - Are the government serious about going green?
2 - Do they genuinely want to help their citizens especially the poorer ones?

You seemed to pull that table without understanding it.

Last edited:
You seemed to pull that table without understanding it.
Nope - I fully understand it, having read this Government 'Energy Bills Rebate factsheet' first before posting the table at the end :)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...Energy_Bills_Rebate_updated_factsheet_v2_.pdf

Yes, the £200 is a 'loan' (it's not given loan T&C's, i.e. No Credit score impact) but repayments don't start until next year, when the Government are hoping energy prices reduce.

1 - Are the government serious about going green?
Yes, hence the Government support for green energy projects.
Question is : are the public serious about going green !! [because it likely means more cost to the consumer]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom