Energy Suppliers

There are subsidies. These are greater than the yearly savings solar provides.

img

That would be some cost ; £4.8k x ~25 million homes (granted some homes would not qualify)
Let’s estimate the cost to be 80% of 25 million homes : £96 billion [for the average household to save £25 a month on their energy bill]

I wonder what cost of Hs2 is.

Bbc
The current estimated cost of HS2 is between £72bn and £98bn (at 2019 prices),

Really puts that cost into perspective.
Jesus

Are we saying (ignoring economy of scale) that everyone could save 25 pounds a month in the entire country for the cost of Hs2?

Gosh no, it’s barely started. It’s not due to open until the end of the decade at the earliest.

Then you look at cross rail which still isn’t finished yet and think that’s optimistic.

Just got an email from Ovo telling me it's time to choose my new fixed rate... but their variable energy is over £100 per month cheaper (which is basically the price cap) why would I choose a fixed rate at nearly £300 per month when I can pay less than £200 per month on a variable rate?

Just got an email from Ovo telling me it's time to choose my new fixed rate... but their variable energy is over £100 per month cheaper (which is basically the price cap) why would I choose a fixed rate at nearly £300 per month when I can pay less than £200 per month on a variable rate?

Fixed rate for how long? It's very likely prices are going to seriously hike in April.

Fixed rate for how long? It's very likely prices are going to seriously hike in April.

There's a 2 year one at £314 per month
1 year at £319 per month
variable at £181 per month
Or a fixed 1 year loyalty one at £287

This is based on the new price cap pricing I think? i.e. this is the price hike - this is over 50% increase on what I'm currently paying.

1 year at £319 per month

This is based on the new price cap pricing I think? i.e. this is the price hike - this is over 50% increase on what I'm currently paying.

Oh, I see. Yeah, it seems like that fixed price is trying to predict the price hike in April.

1 year at £319 per month

I'd take the 1 year loyalty fix.
You're fixing at pretty much the new cap anyway. And might be lower than the dreaded October new cap. Which is looking tentatively like another rise.

So the variable one isn't worth it? i.e. "the do nothing"? I suppose if there's another price hike that would go up, but then again we're moving away from winter, so gas usage will start to go down. It's a tricky one for sure, as that's a heck of a price hike!

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-advice/standard-variable-versus-fixed-rate-tariffs-301300

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...e-cost-gas-electricity-price-cap-rise-1443626

these both seem to hint to not take the fixed rate and to follow the variable tariff - unless I've misunderstood.

So the variable one isn't worth it? i.e. "the do nothing"? I suppose if there's another price hike that would go up, but then again we're moving away from winter, so gas usage will start to go down. It's a tricky one for sure, as that's a heck of a price hike!

Looks like the fix you have is roughly what's in line for April on variable

So in that regard not much difference.

What you're gambling on (like I did in October) is the next one. This is currently due for October. And that one is looking at being higher than your 1 year.
Obviously that comes just in time for winter.

Looks like the fix you have is roughly what's in line for April on variable

So in that regard not much difference.

What you're gambling on (like I did in October) is the next one. This is currently due for October. And that one is looking at being higher than your 1 year.
Obviously that comes just in time for winter.

Hmm, so perhaps the strategy would be to stick to the SVT and then moved to fix before October? Or am I being a bit naive (it happens a lot! :D).

Hmm, so perhaps the strategy would be to stick to the SVT and then moved to fix before October? Or am I being a bit naive (it happens a lot! :D).

Personally, I'd say fix now.
As more it looks sure October is going up the higher the fixes will go.

Get some other opinions. I got some. Decided against them all and ended up better off!

Personally, I'd say fix now.
As more it looks sure October is going up the higher the fixes will go.

Get some other opinions. I got some. Decided against them all and ended up better off!

Thanks - chatting to a few friends about it to but I might have to ask my wife to post it on Facebook (one of the disadvantages of not being on social media I guess) to garner some broader opinions.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions regardless - thanks for taking the time :)

Thanks - chatting to a few friends about it to but I might have to ask my wife to post it on Facebook (one of the disadvantages of not being on social media I guess) to garner some broader opinions.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions regardless - thanks for taking the time :)

Let us know what you decide!

I just found out my friend fixed at 33p a unit for electricity. He's already signed up. I wonder how many others have done same talking to the sales reps!

It doesn't matter. Poor people are going to die.
Something has to be done. Hopefully this is a wakeup call that uk has to get it's **** together and stop wasting money in garbage like hs2

Imagine if the money for Hs2 went on power infrastructure. Or NHS, or anything else actually useful.

Politics in this country are a disgrace really

Slim to no chance, consecutive governments have been kicking the can down the road for the last three decades and they will continue to do so.

Do nothing for a year is my approach now, Winter is about over... October the markets may have changed, the fear of Russian kicking off and the Yanks blowing up the pipeline as target number 1 will have subsided and prices may actually come down.... Or they may not of course :)

I'm assuming there's a typo in your electric standing charge, otherwise that'll work out about £1200 a year just on the standing charge.

Yeah I'm surprised more hasn't been questioned on the sharp increases to standing charges.

Surely you've lived long enough to know the Tories don't care about the poor. They've focused this relief on those who would be more likely to vote for them.

The biggest con the current government have managed to pull at the last election was convincing low wage earners and the poor that they were the party to represent them.

Back
Top Bottom